SE corner changes

Jamie D

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Yes the noise thing is common knowledge, why not then just move one of the main stages over there then and have a more conceptual but quieter shangrila somewhere else? Just thinking about ideas to break up the site a bit more. I know the whole history btw and why its there, no need to go into that with me.

I think it would require a change in the licence to work, so not for a few years, but maybe possible. I'm not sure whether the SE corner puts out more total volume than Other.

4 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Shangrila is going to have a complete revamp next year. It will be all new and fresh. It has always been either very good or superb but for regulars has become maybe slightly stale.

Be interesting to see what they come up with for next year. Knowing them, it should be something quite special.

Can't wait to see what they come up with. Like you say, it should be pretty special, they're not likely to make a half arsed effort with it.

4 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Yes. This is quite common knowledge i thought. It's mentioned on here quite a bit.  I haven't just plucked it out of thin air. There are hardly any dwellings over that side which is why anything post two o clock that may be heard outside the fence is over there. 

The licence also stipulates the time the main stages have to finish i think - in answer to those suggesting staggering finish times to later on.

Sorry - I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. Was just surprised that's all.

Mind you, I know of one family who move out of their house in the village each year and stay up at the farm. Their house is then occupied by security so it sounds like it's quite common practice..

6 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Amazed this hasn't happened sooner, really. One of the things that originally blew my mind about Glastonbury was the crazy amount of effort that goes into something that is there for only one weekend of the year (not withstanding things like Arcadia that exist elsewhere already) 

Should get yourself to Boomtown, it puts SL and the SE Corner to shame..

I reckon Shangri-la will return but in a slightly different form, possibly reusing a lot of what they already have. Their latest Facebook post says " WATCH THIS SPACE: MORE TO COME..... ! " so they'll definitely be back. Maybe they'll just announce that actually there's more to the story.

I also think they're going to do something about capacity/crowd management out of necessity. Whether that's open a new venue somewhere else (licencing/noise issues) or adjust the layout of the current venue I just don't know.

15 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Should get yourself to Boomtown, it puts SL and the SE Corner to shame..

Was just about to say the same thing. If you think the SE Corner had attention to detail then Boomtown will blow your mind.

And all across the site, not just in one area. 

36 minutes ago, hoils said:

Was just about to say the same thing. If you think the SE Corner had attention to detail then Boomtown will blow your mind.

And all across the site, not just in one area. 

I'd be willing to try Boomtown one day (possibly in a year the Glasto Gods are not looking down favourably upon me), although I quite like the fact that at Glasto it is just one area. For me I think it makes me appreciate it that bit more.

Edited by djdavejohnson

1. get rid of Silver Hayes or make it a lot smaller

2. put shangri la in there

3. massive make over for Shangri La, it was like they have run out of ideas, I know it was an ongoing theme, but i don;t think it has     worked . go back to the alleys.

4. I agree with a one way system. but surely heading back out down the railway track is not the right way. They need to make      another exit route. even if it goes around the back and in to the other side. would say the Park but that is already busy due to    Arcadia. 

Silver Hayes does nothing for me, but the idea of just getting rid of it is absolutely fucking ridiculous. It's busy enough to justify its place at the festival for the younger generation. I think some of the criticism of it is more down to the type of music and it's clientele.

Putting Shangri La where SH is now would be shite because you're going to be subject to the same licensing laws.

Whilst it's not immune to criticism, Shangri-la is still a hell of a venue/experience. It's not their fault that it's now overrun by fucking tourists, spending ten minutes ticking off each thing before moving onto the next bit. Even a few years down the line, the amount of ideas and stuff they come up with is mind boggling. 

2 hours ago, shuttlep said:

1. get rid of Silver Hayes or make it a lot smaller

2. put shangri la in there

3. massive make over for Shangri La, it was like they have run out of ideas, I know it was an ongoing theme, but i don;t think it has     worked . go back to the alleys.

4. I agree with a one way system. but surely heading back out down the railway track is not the right way. They need to make      another exit route. even if it goes around the back and in to the other side. would say the Park but that is already busy due to    Arcadia. 

They won't get rid of Silver Hayes, and as @Badlands says there's no real justification for that. Even if licencing wasn't an issue, replacing Silver Hayes with SE corner would just create bigger crowd management problems. At the moment, Park area aside, it's the only major area that helps split the later night crowd.

I'd like to see a return of the alleys, but overall I think the design of the area is astounding and so have no complaints there. @Sawdusty Surfer has mentioned further up the thread that the crew are working on something new for next year though. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with!

I'm wondering, would it work to have the entrance to SE corner as the railway track, and then have two exits either side, i.e. one exit where the current late night entrance is, and one the other side of the railway track? Most people head down the railway track anyways not realising the entrance changes location at night. Plus two exits would split those leaving.

5 hours ago, Badlands said:

Whilst it's not immune to criticism, Shangri-la is still a hell of a venue/experience. It's not their fault that it's now overrun by fucking tourists, spending ten minutes ticking off each thing before moving onto the next bit.

But also it is a piece of interactive experiential art. That's kinda how it was made to be done. In a weird way, it's having venues with big name acts that people want to stay in the entire evening that's made it problematic.

44 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They even produced their own newspaper this year - I found a copy in my rucksack when I got home.

But never mind that - bring back the alleyways.

we should start a movement

bring back the Alleyways

BBTA

22 hours ago, Badlands said:

Silver Hayes does nothing for me, but the idea of just getting rid of it is absolutely fucking ridiculous. It's busy enough to justify its place at the festival for the younger generation. I think some of the criticism of it is more down to the type of music and it's clientele.

This.  I've not seen an act there since 2009, only trudged or bustled through it as a route to or from somewhere else since, but there's no denying it is a big draw for a lot of people and I don't deny them their right to their own musical tastes.

I think the area has improved in recent years (although you could see the extent to which it was hit by the build problems this year, looking a bit drab like it used to in it's dance village days) and if they continue with the pattern of dressing and rebranding a stage/area each year goes on I have high hopes people will look down their noses less at the place.  The blues was a big hit with the crowd and the gully looked pretty cool last year at least, it looked a bit sad this year by comparison.

Edited by Spindles

There's probably some logistics I haven't thought of but I'd go the other way round.

send the 'Dance Village' to the SE corner, and bring the broader venues such as The Rocket Lounge and The Rum Shack up to Silver Hayes to sit alongside The Gully and The Blues.

12 minutes ago, amfy said:

There's probably some logistics I haven't thought of but I'd go the other way round.

send the 'Dance Village' to the SE corner, and bring the broader venues such as The Rocket Lounge and The Rum Shack up to Silver Hayes to sit alongside The Gully and The Blues.

So then you'd have the dance village, shangri-la, the temple, the cave, block 9 the unfairground and Glasto Latino all down there, wouldn't that make things a lot worse?

2 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

So then you'd have the dance village, shangri-la, the temple, the cave, block 9 the unfairground and Glasto Latino all down there, wouldn't that make things a lot worse?

Well I guess I am thinking of more re-jigging, abandoning some things that have never really worked, and some which have outlived their usefulness. I don't mean a literal swap around with everything still in.

if Dance Village joined Shangrila, you would rationalise how much of it you would still need - and I would say that you'd actually only keep the big silver Hayes type tent, and disperse the rest of the action from the 2-3 smaller tents into the overall SE corner stuff, whilst taking a couple of venues out. OR - ditch the Silver tent and put all the biggest dance village acts on the central open venue in Shangri la - or something.

i am thinking of creating 2 different night time experiences. I love The Rocket Lounge, but struggling through an hour of queues and off their face ravers to get there always takes most of the fun out of it for me. I think it'd sit much better with The Blues and The Gully, & there are a few other indoor type venues (creating less noise) in the SE corner that have an 'international' rather than a dance music flavour which could create a whole new vibe which might sit quite nicely up the other end of the site.