NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

37 minutes ago, Skoo said:

I've just had a thought, not going til end of May. It might be a bit too close to the festival and they might not let me have a walk round if the build has really got started :( 

If you e mail the festival office it is likely they will play the construction site card and request that you don't visit, draw your own conclusion from that. The site is really officially closed around that time as they declare it a construction site and request people keep off for Health and Safety etc. The fence will be a good way round but they finish the village side last.  The location of the Air bnb if I am correct is inside the main fence but also within the internal fence for that location, that part is fenced from the main festival but it is a working location.  I would imagine if you happened to wander onto the site no one would say anything especially at a weekend.

Golden rule on site: look like you belong there, wave and stay out of the way.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

If you e mail the festival office it is likely they will play the construction site card and request that you don't visit, draw your own conclusion from that. The site is really officially closed around that time as they declare it a construction site and request people keep off for Health and Safety etc. The fence will be a good way round but they finish the village side last.  The location of the Air bnb if I am correct is inside the main fence but also within the internal fence for that location, that part is fenced from the main festival but it is a working location.  I would imagine if you happened to wander onto the site no one would say anything especially at a weekend.

Golden rule on site: look like you belong there, wave and stay out of the way.

Thanks for the advice. If the site is closed to walkers we will just have to book another trip, although it's tempting to try and move the booking to Easter weekend. May well see if it can be done!

1 hour ago, pilton digger said:

Lucy

after Boomtown I would have a weekend off. 

Hmm yes I am back in work on the Wednesday, I think I may need to extend my time off! I am rapidly running out of leave though. Eek! My theory is I'll have to be ok to drive home, so should be able to come to work. Hopefully. Eek again! 

Hang on, do you mean have a quiet weekend after BT? That is my plan! Might have to get friends at Beautiful Days to film the Sisters for me! 

4 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

I started going to gigs properly around 1994 

DSC_0029_1_zps7mv5rcpy.jpg

DSC_0030_zpsz5vtybnu.jpg

DSC_0031_zpssx4zjpwh.jpg

I've honestly no idea who Prong were though

Very impressive Yeti,:)

Being stationed overseas during that time I think the sum total of my gigs in 1994 consisted of watching Paul Daniels perform on stage at our local cinema! It wasn't all bad though, adopting a local bar as my evening hang out got me properly introduced to The Doors. A band that had inexplicably passed me by until then!

make of that what you will...

8 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Very impressive Yeti,:)

Being stationed overseas during that time I think the sum total of my gigs in 1994 consisted of watching Paul Daniels perform on stage at our local cinema! It wasn't all bad though, adopting a local bar as my evening hang out got me properly introduced to The Doors. A band that had inexplicably passed me by until then!

make of that what you will...

You may think this an odd request for information, but here goes anyway - Was Debbie McGee on stage with him when you saw Paul Daniels?

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

You may think this an odd request for information, but here goes anyway - Was Debbie McGee on stage with him when you saw Paul Daniels?

Odd is a very subjective view Yog although I am curious as to why you're curious!:)

Being a bit of a fan, I've seen Paul perform more than once and I'm happy to say the lovely Debbie McGee was at his side each time!

image.jpg

I like this photo, but not a lot...

...I'll get me coat!

Edited by MilkyJoe

10 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Odd is a very subjective view Yog although I am curious as to why you're curious!:)

Being a bit of a fan, I've seen Paul perform more than once and I'm happy to say the lovely Debbie McGee was at his side each time!

image.jpg

...I'll get me coat!

Lovely pic! I used to love watching his magic show :)

14 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

image.jpg

...I'll get me coat!

Hello MilkyJoe,

They just seemed like an inseperable couple, and kind of wanted to know if it were true, or whether he went abroad doing shows on his own. I know everybody jokes about the Mrs Merton video about why Debbie McGee married the millionaire Paul Daniels, but they really did seem to be in deep love with each other.

8 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello MilkyJoe,

They just seemed like an inseperable couple, and kind of wanted to know if it were true, or whether he went abroad doing shows on his own. I know everybody jokes about the Mrs Merton video about why Debbie McGee married the millionaire Paul Daniels, but they really did seem to be in deep love with each other.

Having seen them both on stage I'd say you are right, the media will always try to create a story that isn't there and of course the Mrs Merton interview was entirely tongue in cheek and Debbie played along brilliantly. The times I saw them on stage I found them to be a complete double act as a couple rather than just as a magician and his assistant. Completely at ease with each other and in later shows Debbie performed her own magic as part of the act too. He did occasionally perform solo I believe but not very often. 

Incidentally a few years ago Paul ran a series of magic days. These were held at his house and in addition to the magic tuition on offer there were drinks and chat with the couple. A friend that attended one of the days reported how relaxed the whole thing was and there was nothing out of the ordinary.

I've just had a pep up tea and a slice of sugar free sticky toffee pudding in the posh Hemsley cafe in Selfridges, and saw Fearne Cotton.

All I could think is how much better a cider and a plate from No Bones Jones would have been.

This world isn't mine...

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

I've just had a pep up tea and a slice of sugar free sticky toffee pudding in the posh Hemsley cafe in Selfridges, and saw Fearne Cotton.

All I could think is how much better a cider and a plate from No Bones Jones would have been.

This world isn't mine...

At glasto 2014, I bumped into Mark Radcliffe and Lauren Laverne up at the Park. Said a quick hello and went on my way. Got the impression Radcliffe was amiable and easy-going, while Laverne was thoroughly snooty and unfriendly. It was only the next morning that I realised that may have been due to me greeting her with a handshake and a 'Hello Fearne, nice to meet you'. 

One or two ciders may have been involved.

Thank god indeed for copious amounts of gin and NZ wine tonight as this week has been a bugger and no drinking during the week has left me gagging.

I saw Mick H back in the 90's and he was ok ish... my 94 was blighted with being a very young mother with two children under 2 and doing my degree and part time work to survive..love how you thought she was Fearne!!! 

5 hours ago, Quark said:

This world isn't mine...

That was me with Fearne. You should've come over and said hi, you idiot. 

On 01/03/2017 at 0:37 PM, Quark said:

It would certainly explain it Yog.  I remember in 2015 when I picked up my WaterAid canteen from one of the kiosks I came up with the great idea of looping my belt through the handle on the lid so I wouldn't lose it. Unfortunately this was also the year when the weed I'd picked up for the fest was stupidly strong.

It was only after I'd spent the entire morning undoing my belt every time I wanted a drink so I could remove the canteen that one of my friends finally relented and pointed out that it would be much easier just to unscrew the bottle and leave the lid attached to my belt.

After digesting this information I recall calmly pulling my tin out of my pocket and screaming "WHY MUST YOU MAKE ME STUPID?!" at it. Before sparking another one, obviously :)

Hi Quark, that made me laugh! I have read about you doing this somewhere else in the forum. It's amazing how 'un common sense' we can be after partaking!! 

On 01/03/2017 at 7:12 PM, Skoo said:

Evening all. Off work today with a cold, been knocked sideways, but managed to sleep in the day which has sorted me out. I reckon one more day off and I will be able to face the office again. My office is aggressively air conditioned, so as soon as one person has a cold, the whole office tends to go down. 

Efests is cheering me up and we're ordering a cheeky mid-week takeaway for dinner. Naughty, but going for healthy-ish option. Food is good for the soul, especially when you're full of cold!

I too have been very ill with the common cold! I swear they are migrating into not so common colds as each one I get was worse than the previous! I'm gladly feeling better after struggling to work for the last 3 days. Hope you're feeling better 

On 03/03/2017 at 11:29 AM, lucyginger said:

In 1994 I was at college, it was all Pearl Jam, Morrissey, Alice in Chains, Tori Amos' Under the Pink, OH GOD and Portishead! I had to google 1994 albums and they're all pretty much brilliant.

I think the early/mid 90's was my favourite time for music. But then I was 16, and they say that you remember those years most. Or something like that. Got the dizzies again so a bit woowah!

In 1994 I didn't know music! To keep a story short we shall call me Cinderella. My nana gave me a radio to hide under my bed and I used to listen to 'Alan Robson's night owls' on Metro fm with my headphones in (all a big secret) One night I fell asleep and rolled over, unplugging said headphones. My dads bitch as she was affectionately known came into my room and battered me. Also broke the radio. Horrible cow. 

So anyway, the first music I knew of was when I joined the navy and listened to cds of oasis and alannis morissette back to back. 

Well, finally caught up again. 

@Funkyfairy! I'm so envious of you going skiing! I actually prefer to ski in a whiteout, I think I ski better as I can't see icy bits or bumpy bits so I relax a bit more. I'm always the leader in these situations as my jacket is bright orange so I suppose I need to be more confident. Have a fab time. 

@Skoo that's very exciting news, I do hope you get to have a wander round. I would love to visit the farm outside of the festival but I live too far away. Enjoy 

Edited by Curlygirl

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Happy Saturday lucy. How's the increased dosage going? I've just finished my first pint of gin and tonic (I couldn't find a smaller glass. Honest). 

Not as I expected! I thought after the second tablet I'd be off my tits, but I wasn't. I am both disappointed and relieved! I do feel a bit like I've done speed, and used that to my advantage to clean the kitchen. 

I am now on the gin as well, not in a pint glass though! 

How's the birthday celebrations going?