NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

Just now, lucyginger said:

I think it's sweet! It's much nicer than your usual run of the mill soggy bullshit on FB!! 

Yes yes, I am SUCH an old romantic. BLEURGH. 

:)

"Excuse me darling, but our wedding anniversary special meal can't start till I've validated our relationship by checking in to this restaurant on Facebook".

I'm sorry, I am a miserable bugger sometimes.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, carlosj said:

"Excuse me darling, but our wedding anniversary special meal can't start till I've validated our relationship by checking in to this restaurant on Facebook".

I'm sorry, I am a miserable bugger sometimes.

I am completely with you!! Let's be miserable buggers together! And not check into FB about it! HA!

Anyone else want to join? 

Turns out that listening to Levellers while on your way to the most corporate businessy type day does not put one in the right frame of mind for such shenanigans.

Either my career's wrong or my musical, political and social preferences are wrong. Hmmmm.....

Ditto on the ticket front. I unfortunately can't stump up for tickets at the moment, but if @grumpyhack or @MilkyJoe are trusting (foolish?) enough to pm me payment details I'll do what I can :)

Edited by Quark

Hello all,

I've had a major shit storm of biblical proportions to go through since Kieran got me a ticket on Sunday. Seriously mind blowing stuff. Quite, quite fucking mad. I'll spare you the details as I don't want to relive them. All OK now though. I've had another w*nk offer on my house. The only problem is that I'm getting pressure from her indoors to cave in and accept the offer. I spent the last of our money on a Glastonbury ticket, which is reasonable enough and money well spent in my opinion. Fuckety fuck, what to do? 

Anyway, I hope that you are all well. 

36 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello all,

I've had a major shit storm of biblical proportions to go through since Kieran got me a ticket on Sunday. Seriously mind blowing stuff. Quite, quite fucking mad. I'll spare you the details as I don't want to relive them. All OK now though. I've had another w*nk offer on my house. The only problem is that I'm getting pressure from her indoors to cave in and accept the offer. I spent the last of our money on a Glastonbury ticket, which is reasonable enough and money well spent in my opinion. Fuckety fuck, what to do? 

Anyway, I hope that you are all well. 

Hi Yog sorry life's dropping crap on you again, though glad the shitstorm has subsided.  I don't really know what to advise, other than keeping the ticket which is worth far more than any monetary value.  I'm a useless person to ask about house buying/selling.  The main reason we've lived here for 30 years in the house we only intended to stay in for 5 years is because we just can't face the hassle and effort of moving.  Its impossible to know whether a better offer will come along - will they up their offer at all?

1 hour ago, dizzymoo said:

Hi Yog sorry life's dropping crap on you again, though glad the shitstorm has subsided.  I don't really know what to advise, other than keeping the ticket which is worth far more than any monetary value.  I'm a useless person to ask about house buying/selling.  The main reason we've lived here for 30 years in the house we only intended to stay in for 5 years is because we just can't face the hassle and effort of moving.  Its impossible to know whether a better offer will come along - will they up their offer at all?

Hello dizzymoo,

I've been successful at refurbishing houses in the past and then selling them on, and everything is screaming at me that if I accept this offer I'll be taking a shafting, even though it'll still pan out that I will have made £130K on top of what I paid for the property. It might sound greedy but I know it's worth about £10K more than what is being offered. It's just that I don't think I have the resources to fight / hold my ground for that extra £10K. I do owe people (family and friends some money) so maybe I will just have to take it on the chin. My wife is telling me to do just that, and maybe she is right. 

If I/ we do sell, our next thing to decide upon is what to do with ourselves. The shop isn't working out financially so we'll have to leave that and the attached accommodation. I want to spend a year in a static caravan away from people who hassle / call around to ours almost every night. My wife is warming to the idea. The reason I actually want to do that is to give her time to write. She is a magnificent wordsmith, and her not devoting any time to that kind of pains me. It's such a waste of talent. Then after a year we could see how it went and if it didn't pan out I'd go back in to the rat race and work for the man again. 

My apologies, I was kind of thinking out loud to myself there.

Bloody hell Yog, I think I would be in bits with your life. Soft lad that I am I have no head for dramas! 

It's a shame the shop isn't working out as planned, but does sound like you guys could do with a space that isn't being permanently invaded!

And great call Gumby, been meaning to listen to that for a while. Beautiful stuff, was actually the album that converted me to nirvana.

Yog I know nothing of buying/selling/owning houses, but I do know that being happy is worth far me than actual proper money. I say take the offer, have a nice summer, then go and be away from things for a while. Sounds like a rest would do you and your wife loads of good! Just don't forget us here :) 

@Yoghurt on a Stick, I'm inclined to think about selling the house. You are missing out on an amount of money, but if the markets are depressed and take time to rise, and you want to repay people, and you're looking for a better quality of life for you two (no visitors and time to write), then that's what's making me think of selling. However, I've not registered by the FSA and we've not met (yet) so run that by someone you know and trust and who can see both sides to speak truthfully to you.

Very warm handshakes to you, whatever you decide.

7 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Yes, clarification on card to use would be useful. I have MJs card details but that was given before it was 4 tickets. @Milky Joe and @grumpyhack if you guys could let us know. I only have a credit card that is registered in Ireland so can't use it even if i did have enough on it to cover the tickets. 

Evening all, hope it's been a good day back in the UK/Channel Islands!:)

Right about payment details. So far if I'm not mistaken I have sent my card details to: @sheffieldlady, @dizzymoo, @Skoo and @H.M.V.

My Reg no. and postcode have also been sent to @Scruffylovemonster and @thurlow84 and I still have to send details to @noplacelikehome, @lucyginger and @vintagelaureate. Sorry all for the delay, I'll try and get it sorted tonight.

Ive also entered competitions with Thatchers and eFests!:)

A couple of things... 

First does the lead booker who I understand will now be GH have to be the payer or can any card be used?

Secondly as it's now I think 4 tickets in the pot, unfortunately there isn't enough money on my card to cover all 4 at the moment. I do have a spare card however and tomorrow morning I will transfer some money onto it so if it's needed then I'm happy for my card to be used for all 4. The only issue with this is that the transfer will take 3 working days to clear so the new card won't be ready to use until Monday or Tuesday. Do we have any thoughts when any resale is likely to be be? After the payment deadline I presume, when is that? Does anybody know?

Shaun.

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

If the resale is before fifth of may, then @stuartbert two hats will eat his two hats. 

That would work out well, in that case if the payment can be made by someone other than the lead booker then I can provide my payment details to everyone who has offered help and will be happy to cover the other 3.

Shaun.

9 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Evening all, hope it's been a good day back in the UK/Channel Islands!:)

Right about payment details. So far if I'm not mistaken I have sent my card details to: @sheffieldlady, @dizzymoo, @Skoo and @H.M.V.

My Reg no. and postcode have also been sent to @Scruffylovemonster and @thurlow84 and I still have to send details to @noplacelikehome, @lucyginger and @vintagelaureate. Sorry all for the delay, I'll try and get it sorted tonight.

Ive also entered competitions with Thatchers and eFests!:)

A couple of things... 

First does the lead booker who I understand will now be GH have to be the payer or can any card be used?

Secondly as it's now I think 4 tickets in the pot, unfortunately there isn't enough money on my card to cover all 4 at the moment. I do have a spare card however and tomorrow morning I will transfer some money onto it so if it's needed then I'm happy for my card to be used for all 4. The only issue with this is that the transfer will take 3 working days to clear so the new card won't be ready to use until Monday or Tuesday. Do we have any thoughts when any resale is likely to be be? After the payment deadline I presume, when is that? Does anybody know?

Shaun.

The final date for refunds is the 5th May so I don't think it will be before that.

2 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

That would work out well, in that case if the payment can be made by someone other than the lead booker then I can provide my payment details to everyone who has offered help and will be happy to cover the other 3.

Shaun.

That will probably work well. Cos you and Grumps can split who you give card details to. 

8 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

20 years ago when my peers were at Uni in Leeds there was this girl - whose name i have long forgotten, though S2H may recall - who was obsessed with all things Paul Heaton.

Fast forward 15 years or so and I was out with S2H's big brother

"remember that girl who was obsessed with Paul Heaton?  She's got a kid by him now"

true story

It is true. I'm friends with her IRL and on Facebook and have grown quite fond of her eccentric daughter. Was very peculiar at a mutual friends wedding being introduced to "Paul" while I was staring at him thinking "You mean Paul Heston, the famous person"

What's more he cheated on her a few years back and they split up. So last year when everyone was going on about how great Paul Heston is, I was fuming because he'd fucked over my friend, but it didn't seem right to talk about it in that context.

46 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Shaun.

Last year's secret resale was on Thursday 12th May and my screenshot of the booking confirmation shows time as 3.48pm (it was all over in around 2 minutes).  In 2015 it was on Monday 18th May from about 3pm and lasted 10-15 minutes.  Unfortunately I'm likely to be out every afternoon from 2.30-3.45 collecting youngest from Outreach learning centre,  but will do my best to stay glued to the computer the rest of the time.

As far as I know payment can be made by someone other than the lead booker.  I may be remembering wrong but I think the form fills the lead booker's address in as the card billing address so that would need to be changed to yours. Tickets would still go to lead booker's address.  So are we agreed you foot the bill Shaun?

2 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

Last year's secret resale was on Thursday 12th May and my screenshot of the booking confirmation shows time as 3.48pm (it was all over in around 2 minutes).  In 2015 it was on Monday 18th May from about 3pm and lasted 10-15 minutes.  Unfortunately I'm likely to be out every afternoon from 2.30-3.45 collecting youngest from Outreach learning centre,  but will do my best to stay glued to the computer the rest of the time.

As far as I know payment can be made by someone other than the lead booker.  I may be remembering wrong but I think the form fills the lead booker's address in as the card billing address so that would need to be changed to yours. Tickets would still go to lead booker's address.  So are we agreed you foot the bill Shaun?

I'm a little concerned that deleting one address and imputting mine could take up valuable time when it may not be available? but until we hear from Grumpyhack I'm happy that my card details are used to foot the bill. As above as soon as my bank transfer goes through to my spare card I will send these details out to all helpers.:)

2 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

I'm a little concerned that deleting one address and imputting mine could take up valuable time when it may not be available? but until we hear from Grumpyhack I'm happy that my card details are used to foot the bill. As above as soon as my bank transfer goes through to my spare card I will send these details out to all helpers.:)

I've confused myself now!  It may be that it fills in the lead booker's name rather than the address... Shouldn't take long to copy/paste your name instead.