NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I once read that scientists had obtained a pain killer via the use of a South American frog which was several hundred times more powerful than morphine. You never hear about it being an option for doctors to use here though. You would have thought that more people would know about it, especially if it was used by the military for bomb blast victims and the like.

75423-45Fr.jpg

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I was on gabapentin (really mild dose) for over a year. Left me permanently shattered. Like proper heavy eyes and head tired no matter how much sleep I'd had. Was that bad in the end I just took myself off it as would rather put up with what it was prescribed for than how I was. 

It would probably have the same affect on my wife were she not to take speed on a daily basis. I get what you mean though as I tend to take them prior to going to sleep.

Hello! I'm feeling a little better today, still not very mobile and it still hurts, but I feel a bit more like me. I've even managed a bath! I can't be left alone just yet though as am not able to move very much, hopefully tomorrow will be better. 

Looking forward to a smoke when I go home tomorrow! That will help :)

57 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Well done @lucyginger --- now take it easy and recover well

^^^ That.  Glad you're OK.

I'll join the 'I've a truly awful relative' club too.  I understand ...

I have written the list to end all lists. Have crossed 3 things off so far.  There's only *mumble, mumble*  left on it then :rolleyes:

Happy to hear that you're on the road to recovery lucy.

In other news one of my front teeth is very loose and about to come out. This is not a great development. Well, not unless the pikey look comes in to vogue. Going to have to get myself to a dentist me thinks.

I have had some good news today though. I had an estate agents valuer call to my house today. He told me a figure which was exactly the amount that I thought it was worth. He then went on to say that although that was his valuation he wouldn't be surprised if it actually reached £25K more than that. The reason he gave was the school that's at the open end of the cul de sac. I knew that this school has for many years featured very high in the national school ratings. However, I wasn't aware of the lengths that people were going to in order to get their children in to the school. Apparently the school's catchment area is shrinking and people just on the border are selling their much loved houses to move closer in just to get their kids in to the school. Making an extra £25K would solve a lot of problems.

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Tooth now out. I couldn't deal with the niggling pain any longer so wrapped a thin bit of plastic coated wiring around the tooth and gave it a big yank. Job done. I'm now drinking a G & T in the understanding that the alcohol will sterilise the area of gum now exposed.

b7043959cc9e229652f78ee286b36662.jpg

2 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

b7043959cc9e229652f78ee286b36662.jpg

That would be flattering. It looks worse than that, although I'm not that bothered as I've kind of given up on how I look to other people. Thankfully I am no longer a slave to fashion either. I've gone from being possessed about how I appear when in my teens to not giving a flying bollocks. One of the benefits of age and (arguably) the increased wisdom that comes with it.

47 minutes ago, sheffieldlady said:

Glad your on the mend Lucy. Hope everyone is good. Yog - hope your ok without your tooth. Get yourself to the dentist. I know they can be a faff to get into but it's worth avoiding an infection (crikey, sounding like my mum there!)

Hello sheffieldlady,

I'm going to book myself in to a dentist in the very near future. Apparently I don't have to pay for any dental work as I'm exempt from charges owing to having an underactive thyroid (I think all my many years of drug taking are having an affect now!). Hope you are well (and that your gnashers are in fine form). :)

Oh Yog, hope you're not in too much pain! Yes I agree with SL, get thee to a dentist! That's good news about your house though, good luck!

well I'm at home, a friend came round to help me and he made me lunch and did me a hot water bottle, and made sure I had everything I need before he left. Mr ginger will be home soon too. I'm doing ok, I can't lift anything and I can't get about very well, but I am ok! I've upped the painkillers too so that should help. am now lying on the sofa watching Bergerac, a well known recovery technique! :)

2 hours ago, lucyginger said:

Oh Yog, hope you're not in too much pain! Yes I agree with SL, get thee to a dentist! That's good news about your house though, good luck!

well I'm at home, a friend came round to help me and he made me lunch and did me a hot water bottle, and made sure I had everything I need before he left. Mr ginger will be home soon too. I'm doing ok, I can't lift anything and I can't get about very well, but I am ok! I've upped the painkillers too so that should help. am now lying on the sofa watching Bergerac, a well known recovery technique! :)

Happy to hear that you are improving lucy. If you are using the Bergerac Technique of recovery then you should be back to normal (whatever that means!) in no time. :)

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

Forgot to say - I had another house valuer around today. This time it was the owner of the very well respected estate agents who came to visit me. She indicated that the valuation is £50K more than I (and yesterday's valuer) had valued it at! She quoted the same % fee rate. I got back to her asking if she would do it for 0.25% less, and she agreed. I have now instructed her to proceed. If I get £50K more than I hoped to get then I am going to go bananas!  Not really. I've already done that before and can confirm that it's a silly (but enjoyable) way forward.

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Happy to hear that you are improving lucy. If you are using the Bergerac Technique of recovery then you should be back to normal (whatever that means!) in no time. :)

Thanks Yog. Slowly but surely! I'm now using the whisky/lemon/honey method, on top of painkillers, as I have a cold too. Boo.

wow you're doing well with the house! Very good luck for a quick and easy sale! 

26 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

Thanks Yog. Slowly but surely! I'm now using the whisky/lemon/honey method, on top of painkillers, as I have a cold too. Boo.

I can't stand whisky. I used to drink a bottle of it a night when I was really out to kill myself. Wouldn't go near it now though. Hope it works for you though.

2 hours ago, lucyginger said:

I used to love whisky but since graduation to adulthood I've changed to Brandy lol. Great for cold/flu as well imo 

Not been on much peeps, busy work after Christmas and doing my best to stay off electronics in the evenings at the mo.  But as usual it sounds like there's a fair amount going on with y'alls.

Hope teeth / operations / painkillers / wedding dresses / insane family members / house sales go well.  Much love! :)

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Not been on much peeps, busy work after Christmas and doing my best to stay off electronics in the evenings at the mo.  But as usual it sounds like there's a fair amount going on with y'alls.

Hope teeth / operations / painkillers / wedding dresses / insane family members / house sales go well.  Much love! :)

Hi! Excellent summary of events/things! Love back!