NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I ended up ejecting lime green bile from my mouth and nostrils in the middle of Clitheroe after over indulging on gin+tonic the night before, about 15 years ago.  I kept trying to find a side street not packed full of respectable people, but failed utterly.

Never mind a cone, now that was shameful!

That does sound vile S2H.  I mean... Clitheroe of all places.

I haven't been able to drink Southern Comfort, or even bear the smell,  after downing half a bottle of the stuff 25 years ago.  Apparently I passed out in mid-sentence.

Greetings @Spacey,  you'll find a very warm welcome here. Just don't mention r**n, m*d or other w*t stuff pertaining to inclement weather!

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

When I was I'll as a youngster, my mum always put a bowl next to my bed with Dettol in it. Now just the smell of the stuff makes me want to hurl. 

Bloody hell my mum used to do that as well!  It really didn't help when you were finally sick and got that wonderful combination of smells fired back at you.

Although my mum also used to run me a bath with Savlon in it after rugby.  Sweet Jesus but that used to sting.

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I ended up ejecting lime green bile from my mouth and nostrils in the middle of Clitheroe after over indulging on gin+tonic the night before, about 15 years ago.  I kept trying to find a side street not packed full of respectable people, but failed utterly.

Never mind a cone, now that was shameful!

On holiday on Lombok, some years ago, I fell victim to what's commonly known as 'Bali belly'. Spent about 36 hours unsure which end of myself to point towards the toilet! Bloody glad it started when I was in my room, not when we were out and about. 

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Bloody hell my mum used to do that as well!  It really didn't help when you were finally sick and got that wonderful combination of smells fired back at you.

Although my mum also used to run me a bath with Savlon in it after rugby.  Sweet Jesus but that used to sting.

Continuing on this uplifting theme,  I had hyperemesis (severe nausea and vomiting) when pregnant with child#1 and spent nearly 2 weeks in hospital throwing up into the paper bowls they give you.  When I got home the first time I opened up the newspaper I nearly chucked up into it because the smell was so horribly reminiscent.

Hi all! :D Thought I'd dip my toe into the NFR thread as I'm still buzzing about ticket success last Sunday and can't keep away from all things Glastonbury at the moment! I usually live on the T Minus and counting thread and pop up from time to time to offer help and advice (if I can) on the forum in general, but thought I'd venture onto here for a change. I've seen this has been a well populated thread for years now.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the efests meeting next June. If you've been to any of these over the last few years you will have probably bumped into me :D 

Trev

24 minutes ago, Pear_Cider said:

Hi all! :D Thought I'd dip my toe into the NFR thread as I'm still buzzing about ticket success last Sunday and can't keep away from all things Glastonbury at the moment! I usually live on the T Minus and counting thread and pop up from time to time to offer help and advice (if I can) on the forum in general, but thought I'd venture onto here for a change. I've seen this has been a well populated thread for years now.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the efests meeting next June. If you've been to any of these over the last few years you will have probably bumped into me :D 

Trev

Hello!! Nice to see you :)

1 minute ago, Spacey said:

I prefer wine to gin. Hope that's ok. I am however prepared to try some gin now and then

Anyone can like whatever they want! We are all inclusive, we even like people who don't like gin! All we ask is that you make sacrifices to the Weather Gods throughout the year, in order that we have a dry festival. For example, accepting a downpour at a family bbq, or not wearing a coat when the clouds look threatening, that sort of thing :)

3 hours ago, mr gumby said:

The only drink that really repulsed me is Pernod. I'm not a fan of gin in general, but sloe gin is a wonderful invention! 

When I was I'll as a youngster, my mum always put a bowl next to my bed with Dettol in it. Now just the smell of the stuff makes me want to hurl. 

I wish I'd hd a bowl next to my bed. Long long ago when i was a teenager I had been out drinking probably some awful cocktail of whatever was easy to get when you're that age and threw up on my bedroom carpet. I tried to clean it up as best I could then poured tabac aftershave over it to try and disguise the smell from my parents. Every Christmas I used to get that aftershave of some relative or other and could never stomach the smell of it after that. It just reminded me of that horrid sick smell.:wacko:

3 hours ago, lucyginger said:

Anyone can like whatever they want! We are all inclusive, we even like people who don't like gin! All we ask is that you make sacrifices to the Weather Gods throughout the year, in order that we have a dry festival. For example, accepting a downpour at a family bbq, or not wearing a coat when the clouds look threatening, that sort of thing :)

I will go out immediately without a coat. There are lots of black ominous clouds!

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Does she know you're going away or not even that?

Nothing yet!  I'm inclined to keep it secret for a little while longer...maybe a gift for her Birthday in January. She has told me many many many times that it's her favorite place in the world. 

I recently surprised her the night before, on Thursday last week, that we were going to Desert Trip. We had only seen The Who (Glasto 2015), so getting a "one stop shop" to see the rest was a no brainer.  We had standing pit tickets and it was a magical time.  We have done Coachella the last 5 years so seeing the polo fields done up so differently was very enchanting. 

2 hours ago, Friendly Banter said:

Just wanted to say I love you all and can't wait to return next year! Excited isn't even the proper word. Surprising the Wife as it's where we got engaged (top of the hill behind the sign on the Wednesday in 2015). Coming for our second Glasto from Portland, Oregon.  

Hello! :bye:

I wish I could surprise someone with tickets, it'd be fab! 

Oregon's a bit of a trek, are you staying a bit before or after? It's a part of the states I haven't seen. I was born in Oklahoma, and I've seen bits of Texas, Florida, the four corners states, Washington D.C. and New York. What's Oregon like? 

1 hour ago, mr gumby said:

Oregon's a bit of a trek, are you staying a bit before or after? It's a part of the states I haven't seen. I was born in Oklahoma, and I've seen bits of Texas, Florida, the four corners states, Washington D.C. and New York. What's Oregon like? 

Yes, it is quite the haul (7,800 KM if I could fly straight to Bristol), so I will make a nice trip out of it. Last time we spent three nights in London (Shoreditch), three nights in Bath before heading to the festival. And then two nights after in London (near Hyde Park) before flying out.  Not sure what we will do this year, but I would like to spend more time in the country. Or one possibility is to fly into Amsterdam a week early and make my way to the site. Currently all I have is a reservation in Shepton Mallet the night before the festival.  If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear it. 

Oregon is beautiful.  Living in Portland I'm only 3 hours away from anything I want to do. The beach, Skiing, the Desert, its really an active lifestyle type of place. I can have great hiking in under an hour, in nearly any direction I drive.   Somerset reminds me a lot of rural (agricultural) parts of Oregon, we just have more Pine trees. The Pacific northwest is the most diverse region in the country and definitely worth a visit any time of the year.  Portland was recently named "best food city in America" too.  

4 hours ago, mr gumby said:

In 2010 I got tickets and surprised my other half with them for her birthday. I got serious brownie* points that day I can tell you. 

*not a metaphor! (I know how you lot think...)

1 hour ago, Friendly Banter said:

Yes, it is quite the haul (7,800 KM if I could fly straight to Bristol), so I will make a nice trip out of it. Last time we spent three nights in London (Shoreditch), three nights in Bath before heading to the festival. And then two nights after in London (near Hyde Park) before flying out.  Not sure what we will do this year, but I would like to spend more time in the country. Or one possibility is to fly into Amsterdam a week early and make my way to the site. Currently all I have is a reservation in Shepton Mallet the night before the festival.  If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear it. 

Oregon is beautiful.  Living in Portland I'm only 3 hours away from anything I want to do. The beach, Skiing, the Desert, its really an active lifestyle type of place. I can have great hiking in under an hour, in nearly any direction I drive.   Somerset reminds me a lot of rural (agricultural) parts of Oregon, we just have more Pine trees. The Pacific northwest is the most diverse region in the country and definitely worth a visit any time of the year.  Portland was recently named "best food city in America" too.  

Welcome Friendly Banter. I once very nearly bought a split screen VW camper van from Portland Oregon.

Fact.

7 hours ago, Friendly Banter said:

Sounds great. We're about half an hour from the beach, but there is a definite lack of skiing and desert options here in Somerset!