NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

@sheffieldlady meet Jess. Lovingly made by Yog! She is amazing! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I rather like this. I've got a friend who's done creative things with maps. Wouldn't want to look at it in my house everyday though - I like artwork that is soothing and beautiful. Or funny.

Edited by JanieM28

7 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

I rather like this. I've got a friend who's done creative things with maps. Wouldn't want to look at it in my house everyday though - I like artwork that is soothing and beautiful. Or funny.

But Janie... Jess is beautiful! At least in my eyes :wub:

28 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thanks for posting Jess Curlygirl. :)

You're welcome Yog. Thanx for letting me have her ;)

2 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

But Janie... Jess is beautiful! At least in my eyes :wub:

I agree that Jess has something about her that is fascinating. The following photo, however, is a piece of artwork that my husband and I seriously considered buying recently because it was so unusual, and stunning to look at and touch.

It's about the size of a fully-grown greyhound though and we could only really have kept it in the garden.

image.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

That is stunning! But like you think, too big. Beautifully made 

The artist is called John Kennedy Brown. He does smaller, cheaper stuff but nothing has attracted me as much as the horse. (I, sometimes, regret that I didn't raid my ISA to buy it - it got sold in America in somewhere like Palm Springs where rich people live).

This is where we saw it, and you can see some of his other stuff too...

http://www.livingart.global/artists/john-kennedy-brown/

2 hours ago, JanieM28 said:

The artist is called John Kennedy Brown. He does smaller, cheaper stuff but nothing has attracted me as much as the horse. (I, sometimes, regret that I didn't raid my ISA to buy it - it got sold in America in somewhere like Palm Springs where rich people live).

This is where we saw it, and you can see some of his other stuff too...

http://www.livingart.global/artists/john-kennedy-brown/

Things that have no price on are clearly too expensive for me... His pieces are wonderful!! Love them. 

Heya lovely folks, a new thread already?! 787 pages is going to take some beating!:)

hope everyone is well and over the worst of the comedowns now. I didn't really have time for a comedown this year as it was straight on with getting the house back together as soon as I got home. Having never suffered 'glastonbury toe' before though, my right one is still very numb with only a tiny bit of feeling in it. Hoping for some improvement soon...

So I'm already shitting it about ticket day, not having even a sniff of the ticket page in 14 and 15 and only getting in this year due to a kindly efester in the resale my recent record has been poor to say the least. I'm trying to go with the thinking that I've had my bad luck and this year will be the smoothest since 2010 when I had my ticket by five past 9.

I'm back out in the Middle East now working so I should have plenty of opportunity to check in here, and I'll try and sort out a little of this sunshine for next years festival. 

Not the heat though, that can do one. It's 47 here today and getting warmer daily!:wacko:

Keep on keeping on.

Shaun.

On 12 July 2016 at 11:16 AM, Quark said:

Loving your thinking there Guy old son!

Spoke to my brother in law at the weekend (he's the one going to Benicassim for 40th next year instead of Glasto), said I was in for ticket day and well up for having a solo crack at 2017.  He reckons he'd hate it on his own, which got me to wondering...

How much of the enjoyment of Glastonbury is down to sharing it with people you know, and how much is about enjoying your own thing without constraints and losing yourself in a crowd of unknown but like-minded strangers?

I'm finding myself thinking that going solo will (a) force me to talk to other people, which I'm generally terrible at in life anyway, and (b) encourage me to actually get down into the dancing crowds for more sets and let go of my Hugh Grant-esque Englisness. Be fun to find out!

This year was my first year as a solo camper and to be honest I enjoyed it as much as any other time I've been. I did set up camp with the camp solo crew but apart from saying a quick hello on the Wednesday evening I never really saw them. The reason for this was mainly because the camp was on the outskirts of the site in Darble and once I had left my tent in the morning I pretty much didn't go back until I was ready to crash in the early hours. That said, they seemed a really friendly bunch and there was always a group sat around the social space whenever I passed. I would certainly recommend joining a similar group for anybody that really didn't want to be alone. Being solo also meant that I didn't have to be anywhere I didn't want to be so I could follow my own mad agenda and I kept moving for pretty much the whole festival. While certainly not on Benny's level I still managed to see around 30 acts over then weekend!

On 12 July 2016 at 4:18 PM, Quark said:

Thanks for the insight there Mr G.  I've got absolutely no qualms about Fri - Sun, but how did you find (if you were there) Wed and Thu when you were solo?  I think those are the bits I find myself wondering about, but even then I know there are huge chunks of the Green Fields I've never stopped to look at so I'm sure I'd find stuff to do.

I think the other...concern I have is about the weather.  I'm not sure how I'd get on with this year's mud on a solo expedition!

The Wednesday and Thursday are always amongst my favourite times at the festival and I spent the 2 days reacquainting myself with the festival after 2 years away and exploring the new areas that have sprung up. I talked to lots of strangers, (quite a biggie for me as I too don't mix overly well normally), walked miles and generally just took it all in. I made the Efests meet a little (lot) late but still met a few folks from here then I was off doing my own thing again.

Negative aspects to going solo? Just missing the magic of sharing one of the most wonderful places with somebody you properly know and care about. That said this is a small point and I certainly wouldn't hesitate going solo again.

Shaun.

6 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

This year was my first year as a solo camper and to be honest I enjoyed it as much as any other time I've been. I did set up camp with the camp solo crew but apart from saying a quick hello on the Wednesday evening I never really saw them. The reason for this was mainly because the camp was on the outskirts of the site in Darble and once I had left my tent in the morning I pretty much didn't go back until I was ready to crash in the early hours. That said, they seemed a really friendly bunch and there was always a group sat around the social space whenever I passed. I would certainly recommend joining a similar group for anybody that really didn't want to be alone. Being solo also meant that I didn't have to be anywhere I didn't want to be so I could follow my own mad agenda and I kept moving for pretty much the whole festival. While certainly not on Benny's level I still managed to see around 30 acts over then weekend!

The Wednesday and Thursday are always amongst my favourite times at the festival and I spent the 2 days reacquainting myself with the festival after 2 years away and exploring the new areas that have sprung up. I talked to lots of strangers, (quite a biggie for me as I too don't mix overly well normally), walked miles and generally just took it all in. I made the Efests meet a little (lot) late but still met a few folks from here then I was off doing my own thing again.

Negative aspects to going solo? Just missing the magic of sharing one of the most wonderful places with somebody you properly know and care about. That said this is a small point and I certainly wouldn't hesitate going solo again.

Shaun.

I've always said to my better half that should the situation ever present itself that she or anybody we know couldn't make the festival, I'd still be going even if it meant going on my own. 

In fact, I'm hoping it does happen one year. Don't get me wrong, I love going with her and anybody else that joins us. But in everyday life I make an effort to do some small things on my own, maybe go and grab a coffee somewhere, mooch around the shops, read a book etc. Your points re not being tied to what others want to do and the sense of freedom that accompanies that is a big plus point for me too.

The drawback you mentioned would be the same for me too. I found this year, having brought a newbie with us, I just wanted to share moments and stories with her a lot of the time. It's an incredible feeling seeing somebody experience something you love for the first time, and falling in love with the place themselves. I guess as a compromise I'd maybe take a few more pictures so I could share stories when I got back!

2 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

Morning! 

I managed choir last night, hoorah! :) 

In other news, has anyone been to Skye? Is September a good time to go? 

Morning indeed!  What sort of choir is it Lucy?  I'm guessing a modern/rock type choir, but I do love the idea of you finishing Glastonbury and going back performing Bach's choral works :)

@djdavejohnson and @MilkyJoe, thanks for the insights.  I'm almost certain that I'll love a solo experience, but it's useful to have some of what I'm thinking validated by people who have done it.  I keep thinking about the acts I've seen, missed, left halfway through or stood on the edge of rather than get involved due to being in a group, and just want to have at it my way!

The solo camp group is an interesting one, especially if there's a campfire / social area as that's the bit I'll probably miss a bit.  Will have to look on that thread and get a feel for it!

44 minutes ago, Quark said:

Morning indeed!  What sort of choir is it Lucy?  I'm guessing a modern/rock type choir, but I do love the idea of you finishing Glastonbury and going back performing Bach's choral works :)

I sing in two choirs, one is a contemporary type one where we do all sorts of things, this concert coming up includes pop stuff like Don't Stop Me Now, Rolling in the Deep, Don't Stop Believing, a funky version of Bridge Over Troubled Water (my fave), some songs from musicals and other big show tune type things. That's the choir I had last night. 

My other choir (only one concert a year with this one, we only meet for 3 months) is big choral works, this year we're doing Mozart's Requiem :) I prefer singing the classical choral stuff, I'm a top soprano as well so I get some lovely tunes. Previously we've done Bach, Beethoven, Verdi, all sorts of things! So you're almost right! :)

10 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

I sing in two choirs, one is a contemporary type one where we do all sorts of things, this concert coming up includes pop stuff like Don't Stop Me Now, Rolling in the Deep, Don't Stop Believing, a funky version of Bridge Over Troubled Water (my fave), some songs from musicals and other big show tune type things. That's the choir I had last night. 

My other choir (only one concert a year with this one, we only meet for 3 months) is big choral works, this year we're doing Mozart's Requiem :) I prefer singing the classical choral stuff, I'm a top soprano as well so I get some lovely tunes. Previously we've done Bach, Beethoven, Verdi, all sorts of things! So you're almost right! :)

Think I have a new tagline for the forums to suggest to Neil...

"eFestivals - we're more cultured than you might expect"