NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

33 minutes ago, Quark said:

Thanks for the insight there Mr G.  I've got absolutely no qualms about Fri - Sun, but how did you find (if you were there) Wed and Thu when you were solo?  I think those are the bits I find myself wondering about, but even then I know there are huge chunks of the Green Fields I've never stopped to look at so I'm sure I'd find stuff to do.

I think the other...concern I have is about the weather.  I'm not sure how I'd get on with this year's mud on a solo expedition!

Always makes me think of Bowling For Soup - "her CD changer's full of singers that are mad at their dads".  It was one of the things I struggled to keep a straight face about to some of the bands at Download :)

And as an afterthought, did you get to see Vintage Trouble on West Holts last year?  That was one of my sets of the weekend, absolutely loved them.

In actual fact, the year I went solo, I volunteered as a litter picker, so I was there from the Monday before. It was great seeing the site finally taking shape, and being able to wander with relatively few people there. That's something else I'd recommend as worth doing at least once! I'm happy enough going off on my own for a few hours, even when I'm there with others, so the first few days were spent largely bimbling, seeing a few bands in Avalon cafe, William's green etc and going to the meets. 

I don't know that dodgy weather is any worse if you're solo. At least you aren't trudging through it, while also trying to look out for others  in your group. You can just decide where you're headed and get on with it. 

And yes, I did see Vintage Trouble last year. Highlight of my weekend. I was so glad they got invited back! 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, mr gumby said:

On a completely different subject, I've been watching the sets of a few bands I didn't see today, one of which was Bring Me The Horizon. 

Jesus.....

it really is 'Mummy and Daddy don't understand me and I'm really really angry' stuff, isn't it? 

i was in the vicinity, along the railway line, as they were on just having a bit of a wander before it was time for Underworld.  not my kind of thing, what potty mouths!

23 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

i was in the vicinity, along the railway line, as they were on just having a bit of a wander before it was time for Underworld.  not my kind of thing, what potty mouths!

Yeah, fucking atrocious language from the little w*nkers. :D 

I personally would prefer not to go on my own, but if I had no choice I would.. Maybe join a solo group?

i love being with someone that gets what I love about the festival or a particular band that is on, and sharing a moment. Even just saying to said friend "wow, look at that weird and random thing". 

If you do decide to go on your own @Quark you are more than welcome to camp with me and my crew. Obviously I don't know if I or them will get tickets but here's hoping and praying eh?! 

13 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

Even just saying to said friend "wow, look at that weird and random thing". 

I'm sorry, but Finbar, really.

Anyone who wants company at night, can look after my cuz next year. Good God, but he snores like a tractor with a pimped engine and 4 exhausts. I obviously didn't drink enough this year to fall comatose in the same van.

18 minutes ago, carlosj said:

I'm sorry, but Finbar, really.

Anyone who wants company at night, can look after my cuz next year. Good God, but he snores like a tractor with a pimped engine and 4 exhausts. I obviously didn't drink enough this year to fall comatose in the same van.

You're not selling it as an idea Carlos!

Finally getting round to watching some of the sets on iPlayer.  May have had a little moment to when James did Out To Get You.  Love that song :)

27 minutes ago, Quark said:

You're not selling it as an idea Carlos!

Finally getting round to watching some of the sets on iPlayer.  May have had a little moment to when James did Out To Get You.  Love that song :)

I certainly did when I was there. My son from my first marriage used to play James a lot, (my first wife passed away) and it brought back happy memories of them both. Just as well it was raining.

As it is, we're off to see Elvis in Leeds in November, me and my son. That's another shared taste. MrsCJ is more than happy to let us both go without her.

2 minutes ago, carlosj said:

I certainly did when I was there. My son from my first marriage used to play James a lot, (my first wife passed away) and it brought back happy memories of them both. Just as well it was raining.

As it is, we're off to see Elvis in Leeds in November, me and my son. That's another shared taste. MrsCJ is more than happy to let us both go without her.

Ah now, mine was Tomorrow at the time. Always been one of my favorite James tracks, and used to listen to it a lot during difficult teenage angst years.  It's just come on now and I appear to have something in my eye :)

Glad it brought happy memories for you old chap, I hate the idea of not being able to listen to music I love because of sad or difficult associations.  Much rather remember happy times. Funny old thing music :friends:

3 pages already - you guys move quickly.

I took my GoPro to the festival this year, first time and some pretty terrible footage (due to forgetting I even had it with me!) I've been thinking about the festival today (well, I had a super-duper exciting work meeting that meant I had a drive-thru lunch, so I put the highlights on the iPlayer, popped the phone into the phone holder and watched them in a car park in the car..) 

I wish I had the writing ability to sum up this years festival. Bloody muddy comes to mind. But we had a very different festival this year, we spent it just with the 2 of us which was weird and nice all at the same time. I also wore walking boots for the first time - why I didn't do this sooner is beyond me! My feet felt so much better and so did I! I also watched all 3 headliners on the Pyramid. Again, something I've never done and I know that people seem dead against it but I had a blast. I thought Adele was pretty decent, much better then I expected. My festival moment was Bat for Lashes performing Laura. Good god, that song! I also went during Coldplays tribute for Viola Beach.

I reckon if I had to go solo - I would be perfectly happy to do so, provided that I had some form of human interaction I would be fine. My other half has moved to the US for work for 6 months and I've booked a couple of gigs on my own. 

Although I do wish I had more friends who were remotely interested in festivals. 

Liking the James love tonight. I mentioned it on the 'glasto moments' thread already, but 'Sometimes' did it for me this year. It's another song that's on the cd that I never stop going on about it seems, that I made for mrs gumby's pregnancy and labour, so I always associate with gumby jr. On Friday morning, we'd all had a pretty crap night sleep-wise, and he was getting pretty grumpy, not helped by nearly an hour's delay in the start of James's set. I picked him up to try and help him chill out, and after a quick cwtch, he just wrapped his arms round me tightly, and said 'I love you, daddy' in my ear, just as they started 'Sometimes'. Tears were shed. 

@sheffieldlady, if you need friends who like festivals, you know where we are! :) 

13 hours ago, lucyginger said:

Hello Yog! How are you? :)

Hello lucy

I'm hanging on in there, thanks for asking. It's a long and convoluted story but my wife has just opened a shop selling vintage clothing, some of my art, and curious. We've only been open two days but it's been OK. The problem is that the shop was offered for free but doesn't have much foot fall and it's almost impossible to park around there. That said there's been two lots of people who deliberately found parking to come to the shop. Since it only opened yesterday, that's not bad.

Anyway, I hope you had a fab Glastonbury.  :)

8 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello lucy

I'm hanging on in there, thanks for asking. It's a long and convoluted story but my wife has just opened a shop selling vintage clothing, some of my art, and curious. We've only been open two days but it's been OK. The problem is that the shop was offered for free but doesn't have much foot fall and it's almost impossible to park around there. That said there's been two lots of people who deliberately found parking to come to the shop. Since it only opened yesterday, that's not bad.

Yog I know a few people that want to buy your 'heads'. They are very impressed by Jess and Maria (as my mother calls her!) Please advertise. My bestie loves both of them! I'm still so grateful for my favourite piece of art x

1 minute ago, Curlygirl said:

Yog I know a few people that want to buy your 'heads'. They are very impressed by Jess and Maria (as my mother calls her!) Please advertise. My bestie loves both of them! I'm still so grateful for my favourite piece of art x

Thanks Curlygirl. I need to get my son in law to create a website for me. We keep talking about it but it doesn't seem to get off the ground. I have a fab domain name to go with it too, so really should pull my finger out on that one.

It really pleases me that you like the 'heads'. I've made loads of them now but have given all of them away. When stoned one night I thought about making a short film about who they went to, their lives. their thoughts generally - as well as on the artistic nature of their head. I've only ever had one head returned to me because it scared one of the children in their house. I don't aim to scare but more to provoke.

Anyway, I hope you are doing well. Hope your mother is in fine form too. :)

1 minute ago, sheffieldlady said:

Yog - if you're struggling with the website I'm sure someone on eFest will lead a hand! What heads are you talking about? I saw a head on a stick at the festival - I spent about 5 minutes staring in terror! 

Hello sheffieldlady,

I'm not exactly strugggling. It's more of a case that we are so dysfunctional that we never get around to it. My son in law could create one in an instant, it's just that we never seem to get beyond having a joint together. Then all the best laid plans go out of the window.

I've made about 20 heads now as individual works of art. I'm not sure it's really art, but it's my definition. I'll try and post one or two on here but don't know how to do it so don't hold your breath. :)

@Yoghurt on a Stick I had a moment at the festival this year (a terrifying one) with the head on the stick so at this moment in time, I'm not sure I'm ready for a head as a work of art. It might bring up feelings that I'm not ready to deal with yet. None the less, I'm sure it's awesome and my 'bad memories' aside shouldn't put you off figuring out how to attach a photo :) having a shop does sound very cool and exciting though! Even if you are a couple of days into the venture.

9 hours ago, mr gumby said:

Liking the James love tonight. I mentioned it on the 'glasto moments' thread already, but 'Sometimes' did it for me this year. 

Actually I had a moment to Sometimes as well, had to stop singing along or it would have all been over! Now I think about it that was just a particularly emotional set for various reasons.

You know us Gumby, this thread has nothing but love...:rolleyes:

I'll get my coat, not going to top that all day :hi:

10 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello lucy

Ooh a shop! How exciting! Sounds like the sort of shop I'd go to! I wish you and your wife all the best with it, and yes, see if you can post pictures! I'll see if I can post one of my head (no finbarr intended) too. 

I did have a fab Glastonbury, thank you. Apart from falling and bruising my ribs on day one. Still sore now. I didn't let it stop me though, I had a brilliant time! 

2 hours ago, lucyginger said:

Ooh a shop! How exciting! Sounds like the sort of shop I'd go to! I wish you and your wife all the best with it, and yes, see if you can post pictures! I'll see if I can post one of my head (no finbarr intended) too. 

I did have a fab Glastonbury, thank you. Apart from falling and bruising my ribs on day one. Still sore now. I didn't let it stop me though, I had a brilliant time! 

Hello lucy. I've tried to show some photos but just can't figure how to do it. I'll have another bash at it later.

7 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello lucy. I've tried to show some photos but just can't figure how to do it. I'll have another bash at it later.

Looking forward to seeing pics Yog.  Best of luck and good vibes to Mrs Yog (and you!) for the venture!

14 hours ago, sheffieldlady said:

Although I do wish I had more friends who were remotely interested in festivals. 

Glad you had a good (if strange) time m'dear!  My problem has always been friends who are interested in the same music as me. Been a challenge ever since school,and has continued right through to Glastonbury many years later!  And those that do are, unfortunately, the guys that I can't quite manage to spend too much time with without the wider group.  Lots of long silences...

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

Looking forward to seeing pics Yog.  Best of luck and good vibes to Mrs Yog (and you!) for the venture!

Glad you had a good (if strange) time m'dear!  My problem has always been friends who are interested in the same music as me. Been a challenge ever since school,and has continued right through to Glastonbury many years later!  And those that do are, unfortunately, the guys that I can't quite manage to spend too much time with without the wider group.  Lots of long silences...

Thanks for the best wishes Quark. :)