NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

He did drop a summary of his movements over the weekend (not the kind of movements Gumby was on about) on another thread.  As expected it read like an ultra runner's weekend away.  I had to have a lie down after reading it.

Do you recall which thread? I love reading his posts! 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Curlygirl said:

It previously said 'I'll virtually stroke your head'. C'mon!! You would've dived right in. It was a genuine thing until I read it back. 

So much so, that our work monitors have picked it up. Virtual head stroking is number 3 on the Finbarr register we use for email and web traffic.

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

He did drop a summary of his movements over the weekend (not the kind of movements Gumby was on about) on another thread.  As expected it read like an ultra runner's weekend away.  I had to have a lie down after reading it.

I read that, 2 zillion bands and about 30 mins of sleep all weekend.  Wooderson put it best.  

But I want to see the actual document in all it's excruciating detail!

21 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Ironic that in explaining how you nearly Finbarred, you included another!

That I did... Mmm! 

Thanx for the link Quark... Jeez! He's a busy man! I saw him for 5 minutes in the bimble inn. He bounced and then went to his next place. I wish I had his energy!

Gotta go work peeps. Laterz

Hey hello everyone

What a lovely shiney new thread :-), Note to self don;t have your half year appraisal at work post Glastonbury, as I was less than positive about everything around me , not terrible and moaney, but just not my normal chirpy self

Can't work out why this year I am missing the festival so much, but I find myself grumbling at radio 2 every morning when they mention the festival (which they seem to every day) ... no no no we don;t want it advertised all over the place/talked about, just let the festival fall to the back of peoples minds please until after T day

FFx

i think i'm in the opposite scenario to many of you.  i'm not at all sad to see the back of this year's festival.  in hindsight it was hard work, i spent far too much and wouldn't award it 'classic' status by a long shot.  the mud didn't seem to bother me too much at the time because i stayed drunk and powered through (hence the cost) but it really isn't as much fun for me when it's like it was.  yeah it was still a great weekend, but i don't feel like i got my money's worth out of it this year.  ho hum.

i wonder also if it's down to doing back to back glastos for the first time since 10-11.  i dunno.  i'm sure i'll be alright come ticket day, though maybe a bit more comfort is in order for next year - the appeal or otherwise of general camping is wearing off a bit i think.

21 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I think I get most out of it by staying in general camping. Admittedly I've added pillows, chairs and self inflating mats to make it more comfortable but if I was out the way in campervans or WV I'd end up doing a lot less as it'd be too easy to stay round there for longer on awakening.

Ive stayed outside the fence before and liked it.  Though now i'm living in Ireland, the idea of not having to lug a tent and what have you on planes is even more appealing.  Going in and out of the gate was a bit of a hassle, but Tangerine Fields is no further than South Park 2 or wherever it was we camped!  Certainly there was no camp bonhomie to be missed this year as the rain meant those of us planning to camp together arrived late and were not able to reserve the amount of space we needed so we were all split up.  South Park 2 (or wherever) was definitely not first choice - especially as we came by public transport an in Gate A!

Ah, sorry it sounds like you didn't have the best one Yeti.  I know what you mean about the mud as a huge amount of what I enjoy involves either wandering around (not fun in mud) or finding a comfy spot to sit down/lie back and just enjoy what's happening around me (again, not fun or even possible in mud!).

Luckily after a couple of weeks I'm all about remembering the great bits and those seem to have eclipsed the memory of the mud a bit, but I'm definitely treating it as a learning experience :)

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Ah, sorry it sounds like you didn't have the best one Yeti.  I know what you mean about the mud as a huge amount of what I enjoy involves either wandering around (not fun in mud) or finding a comfy spot to sit down/lie back and just enjoy what's happening around me (again, not fun or even possible in mud!).

Luckily after a couple of weeks I'm all about remembering the great bits and those seem to have eclipsed the memory of the mud a bit, but I'm definitely treating it as a learning experience :)

Ah cheers :) i've got 12 Glastonburys under my belt now in 20-odd years.  Ive had worse than this year, but not in a while!  At least it didn't actually r*in on us too much - the damage was already done when we got there!

16 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Ive stayed outside the fence before and liked it.  Though now i'm living in Ireland, the idea of not having to lug a tent and what have you on planes is even more appealing.  Going in and out of the gate was a bit of a hassle, but Tangerine Fields is no further than South Park 2 or wherever it was we camped!  Certainly there was no camp bonhomie to be missed this year as the rain meant those of us planning to camp together arrived late and were not able to reserve the amount of space we needed so we were all split up.  South Park 2 (or wherever) was definitely not first choice - especially as we came by public transport an in Gate A!

We were out all the time anyway.  I'm starting to think the lack of campsite life is as much about the increased range of activity and seating in the festival as any other factors. Even if we had a massive camp with loads of people there, I don't think it would have made much difference.  Why go back to the tent to hang out when there is so much to do in the wider festival?

I certainly enjoyed this festival.  Out of the last few 2009, 2010, 2014 and 2016, this was the second best (best being 2010 obvs)

Hi peeps is 2017 a thing already?  I'm still trying to remember it's 2016.  @Tranquility of Solitude  sorry the blues are hitting you so hard.  Sending you big warm hugs (and a virtual stroke on the head too if you like!).  This year's festival wasn't the worst for me, but moments of bliss were few and far between,  partly down to the conditions but also because I was feeling low before I went.  I needed to be there though.  I love the idea of recreating the mud carnage in your garden ToS.  I could reprise my role of person with wellies hopelessly stuck and requiring rescue, while failing to know who any of you are.  That would make the best use of my skill set.

I still have a day at Latitude this weekend, and hols in sunny Cornwall (sorry guys not ready to make a sacrifice then)  so lots to look forward to.  Frustratingly I just had an email from Eden sessions offering tickets for this Sunday's Citadel Festival in Hackney (with Caribou and Sigur Ros) for £20.  If I wasn't in Suffolk with my bestie escaping our respective families I'd definitely be up for that.

Hope everyone's managing to shake off that Monday feeling.

xx

3 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I think I get most out of it by staying in general camping. Admittedly I've added pillows, chairs and self inflating mats to make it more comfortable but if I was out the way in campervans or WV I'd end up doing a lot less as it'd be too easy to stay round there for longer on awakening.

Maybe, but I'm not sure. I've always been in CV East (since 2011) but I've always had the compulsion to get in to the site early, for me, before 10 each day, until 1am-4am. My family have been lazy trogs though and came in much later.

Quadruple espresso, bacon, fill the cider bottles, walk in.

I do fancy that inflatable sausage chair for next time though.

This year for me was the best one yet! Obviously not weather wise but the rest of it far outweighed the negatives of mud. Yes it was hard work and I now have muscles upon the muscles on my legs... But honestly, I had so many Glastonbury 'moments' I'm sort of embarrassed! I'm still grinning ear to ear. Maybe it was because I took a newbie who was up for everything. We barely slept and we were both broken women for a few days after. I still have a numb toe... But I would be back there this very instant! I am going to be the grumpiest person ever if I don't get tickets in October. 

11 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

kon-tiki-museum-logo.jpg

sun god.....i think we should pop a few sun god pics up every nowandthen ...i mean it cant do any harm can it ....

happy NFR NFC 2017

Loving your thinking there Guy old son!

Spoke to my brother in law at the weekend (he's the one going to Benicassim for 40th next year instead of Glasto), said I was in for ticket day and well up for having a solo crack at 2017.  He reckons he'd hate it on his own, which got me to wondering...

How much of the enjoyment of Glastonbury is down to sharing it with people you know, and how much is about enjoying your own thing without constraints and losing yourself in a crowd of unknown but like-minded strangers?

I'm finding myself thinking that going solo will (a) force me to talk to other people, which I'm generally terrible at in life anyway, and (b) encourage me to actually get down into the dancing crowds for more sets and let go of my Hugh Grant-esque Englisness. Be fun to find out!

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Spoke to my brother in law at the weekend (he's the one going to Benicassim for 40th next year instead of Glasto), said I was in for ticket day and well up for having a solo crack at 2017.  He reckons he'd hate it on his own, which got me to wondering...

How much of the enjoyment of Glastonbury is down to sharing it with people you know, and how much is about enjoying your own thing without constraints and losing yourself in a crowd of unknown but like-minded strangers?

I'm finding myself thinking that going solo will (a) force me to talk to other people, which I'm generally terrible at in life anyway, and (b) encourage me to actually get down into the dancing crowds for more sets and let go of my Hugh Grant-esque Englisness. Be fun to find out!

Totally -I get this. I am so nervous meeting 'strangers' and not great at conversation unless I trust someone, there are a few people I take an instant 'like to' and feel comfortable with straight away and can natter away for hours, others it takes me a while to find my feet !

I really want to try a solo trip (or part solo trip), but would like to back up of friends there as well to meet up with if I wanted too

Hopefully going solo would enable me to let go of inhibitions (to a degree) and just go for it :-)

Part of the joy of Glastonbury for me is to just sit back and watch the world go by :-)

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Hey Quark, 

I've done 6 glastonburys now. 2 with a group, 3 as a family, and 1 on my own. I would absolutely recommend going solo, even if it's just once. I'm not the most outgoing of people, but I found I just naturally chatted to far more people when I was there on my own, than when I've been with others. Had chats round the campfire in the crew field, went to the efests and NFR meets, met a great bunch of lads while waiting to see if Vintage Trouble would come back on after the electrical st*rm, sharing drinks and having a laugh in the downpour, and got talking to a big group during Robert Plant, who stayed to see Jack White while I went to watch the Manics, but we're still there when I got back for Metallica, and we all had a good mosh together! 

Its a different experience to going with a group, no question, just like taking children is different to going without, but definitely worth it. If mrs gumby ever decided not to go, I'd definitely do it again. 

On a completely different subject, I've been watching the sets of a few bands I didn't see today, one of which was Bring Me The Horizon. 

Jesus.....

it really is 'Mummy and Daddy don't understand me and I'm really really angry' stuff, isn't it? 

4 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

On a completely different subject, I've been watching the sets of a few bands I didn't see today, one of which was Bring Me The Horizon. 

Jesus.....

it really is 'Mummy and Daddy don't understand me and I'm really really angry' stuff, isn't it? 

Note to self: Do not watch this set!! 

I'd not heard of them before the festival, and by the sounds of it, I'm glad I haven't!! 

Thanks for the insight there Mr G.  I've got absolutely no qualms about Fri - Sun, but how did you find (if you were there) Wed and Thu when you were solo?  I think those are the bits I find myself wondering about, but even then I know there are huge chunks of the Green Fields I've never stopped to look at so I'm sure I'd find stuff to do.

I think the other...concern I have is about the weather.  I'm not sure how I'd get on with this year's mud on a solo expedition!

10 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Jesus.....

Always makes me think of Bowling For Soup - "her CD changer's full of singers that are mad at their dads".  It was one of the things I struggled to keep a straight face about to some of the bands at Download :)

And as an afterthought, did you get to see Vintage Trouble on West Holts last year?  That was one of my sets of the weekend, absolutely loved them.

Edited by Quark