The Park 2017

Tuna

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hah. Pleased to say I'm not even sure who that is.

Bugg was a bit of a cheap shot, but I'd still say that the JPT is coming from a more UK indie / NME / Zane Lowe sort of place, whereas The Park often has all sorts on that wouldn't get a look in there.

Only if you focus on those aspects though. As said, in any given year there are a few acts - mostly good ones - that would play Park and not John Peel and then there are a few acts - mostly bad ones - that would play John Peel and not the Park. But then there are all the other acts who could easily do one or the other and do both within the space of a few years, including some UK indie / NME / Zane Lowe types. Not sure whether John Peel are booking better, Park are booking worse or it was a misconception all along but I do think the boundaries are blurred between the two yo.

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Been giving them my ears, they sound fucking great.

Oh they are.

I also like Jason's 'House Show' album, recorded in a friend's house to a gathering of people. Just him either on acoustic guitar or cheesy synth with chats in between. Available online for about 3 quid.

Also try Matterhorn from one of the solo albums.

And Rear View Mirror. 

7 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

This makes sense. From this year: Ernest Ranglin or Ronnie Spector in the John peel? Never in a month of Sundays. Explosions in the sky or m83 at the park? Very plausible. 

Fatboy slim or Jake bugg at the park? Not on your nellie. Savages or car seat headrest in the John peel? Wouldn't knock me for six with shock. 

Don't be surprised. He is probably trying to do every stage.

Tough one to gauge, really.  I'd have said that they're way too small to play at sub level, but then I dunno if they're any less likely than Mercury Rev or Sprititualised.

Though other thing is that, while they're great, they're not the world's most dynamic live act. Heartwarming and affable and with belters to spare, but for me they'd be better in the afternoon sun.

16 hours ago, Quark said:

I do love asking a stupid question...

So I've been trying to figure this out for 7 years, and failing miserably.  What makes a band or artist a good choice for the Park?  I've seen stuff up there that would fit on West Holts (Mavis Staples), Other (St Etienne), Pyramid (Biffy) and everything in between.

A good 90% of the acts either playing or listed I've never heard of, so I'm guessing there is more than a small element of niche/indie about it, plus a healthy dollop of whatever Emily happens to be listening to at the time, but beyond that I've got nothing.

Anyone?

EDIT: goes without saying that I am thoroughly enjoying trawling the web to listen to the bands I've never heard of, and finding some good stuff along the way :)

It's a good question.  Best theory I've come up with is that Park acts tend to appeal to a slightly older audience, your thirtysomething+, as opposed to the JPT which is more for the whippersnappers (as CG puts it, Pitchfork vs NME).  Otherwise as Dental says the two seem pretty interchangeable - although the new tent JPT is definitely bigger now and so gets a big headliner like Sigur Ros.  But this certainly isn't infallible, eg this year Lady Leshurr on the Park and Explosions in the JPT.  I guess the reality is just that they have slightly different bookers - eg I believe Martin Elbourne did/does Pyramid, Other & JPT (not on his own) but not the Park which was always suggested to be more Emily's personal fiefdom.  And then I guess sometimes there'll be only certain days/times acts can do, which may mean they play a different stage to what might naturally suit them.

These all sound like pretty sensible explanations to me.  The unfortunate conclusion I've drawn from all of this is that there are just waaaaay too many bands that I've never heard of; clearly need to expand my listening habits!

20 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

It's a good question.  Best theory I've come up with is that Park acts tend to appeal to a slightly older audience, your thirtysomething+, as opposed to the JPT which is more for the whippersnappers (as CG puts it, Pitchfork vs NME).  Otherwise as Dental says the two seem pretty interchangeable - although the new tent JPT is definitely bigger now and so gets a big headliner like Sigur Ros.  But this certainly isn't infallible, eg this year Lady Leshurr on the Park and Explosions in the JPT.  I guess the reality is just that they have slightly different bookers - eg I believe Martin Elbourne did/does Pyramid, Other & JPT (not on his own) but not the Park which was always suggested to be more Emily's personal fiefdom.  And then I guess sometimes there'll be only certain days/times acts can do, which may mean they play a different stage to what might naturally suit them.

I think that's pretty accurate.  I spent a lot of time at The Park in 2014 and noticed that this was the only area of the site I'd been to where I was younger than most rather than being older.  I never go to Acoustic BTW.

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think that's pretty accurate.  I spent a lot of time at The Park in 2014 and noticed that this was the only area of the site I'd been to where I was younger than most rather than being older.  I never go to Acoustic BTW.

Avalon?  It's like Eastbourne with a stage.

Disclaimer: I love Avalon :)

On a separate note, good shout on Grandaddy @Woffy. Listening to Sophtware Slump atm and me likey.  His voice really reminds me of Conor Deasy from The Thrills (who incidentally I would love to see producing some new material)

Edited by Quark

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I do enjoy their first album but never ventured past that. Do see the vocal resemblance but I guess it's because they both modelled their singing voice after the same surf pop kinda thing.

Same as.

Don't think Jason can sing any other way to be honest...but yeah.

7 hours ago, Quark said:

On a separate note, good shout on Grandaddy @Woffy. Listening to Sophtware Slump atm and me likey.  His voice really reminds me of Conor Deasy from The Thrills (who incidentally I would love to see producing some new material)

No biggie.

After turning Lawn on to Grandaddy (that sounds WRONG!!!) I'm revisiting the albums / compilations / mini-LPs in order. Life affirming stuff.

On 21/07/2016 at 1:01 PM, Mardy said:

Grandaddy are a much bigger draw than Mercury Rev, i reckon.

people only go to see MR in the hope they'll play deserters songs. Grandaddy have a much fuller/richer back catalogue to draw on. 

Grandaddy headlined eotr a couple of years back. No way i could see MR doing that 

Mercury Rev headliner EOTR before that. 2008 I think it was. 

19 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

Mercury Rev headliner EOTR before that. 2008 I think it was. 

True, true. But that was when it had a much smaller capacity and only the Garden stage, not the Woods. Only had 5000 punters then, I think it's about 11000 now.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Saw Godspeed You! Black Emperor for the first time last night, and they were magnificent (even if they didn't play Mladic). Would looove to see them at G, and Park headliner is probably the only realistic spot for them.  Please make it so Eavii!

Ola, Robin, old chum. Where do I start with GY!BE? Always been intrigued by the snippets I've heard.