West Holts 2017

Gucci Piggy

Going back a bit but in 2003, the Furries headlining the other stage, the crowd was pretty 'light' - everyone was at Radiohead - but the people who were there made it a great gig. I got chatting to a couple next to me who were on some crazy jungle juice which they duly shared with me, so I reciprocated by sharing the bottle of schnapps I had with me - made things fairly lively! During the usual sfa techno finale I was so wasted I charged down the front completely forgetting my new friends, never did find them again...

Edited by mario man

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, mario man said:

Going back a bit but in 2003, the Furries headlining the other stage, the crowd was pretty 'light' - everyone was at Radiohead - but the people who were there made it a great gig. I got chatting to a couple next to me who were on some crazy jungle juice which they duly shared with me, so I reciprocated by sharing the bottle of schnapps I had with me - made things fairly lively! During the usual sfa techno finale I was so wasted I charged down the front completely forgetting my new friends, never did find them again...

On the subject of sharing drinks at SFA, I saw them alone in 2015 and shared my rum with a few guys next to me in an attempt to make friends. Found out afterwards that the main guy I'd been sharing it with was @Badlands from this forum.

I don't remember the end of the show. In fact I only remember tiny tiny bits of the show as a whole. Remember one of them holding up signs saying things like 'applause'. I have a memory of coming back into consciousness at some point sat outside some tipi playing music with some 30-ish year old couples, stumbling back to my tent, trying to piss in a can in my tent, golden showering myself, the inside of my tent and someone I'd met and made friends with that weekend (you know like when you put a spoon under a tap), then waking up the next morning to find my friends who hadn't seen me since RTJ/The Libs the previous day.

A good night.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My vibes are pretty coolish towards Moderat, truth be told.  Have tried, have failed to feel it.

Uh huh, aptly named Moderate. Yet in their defence they have a wicked sick light show (feat. lions n shit) for when you're three sheets to the wind. 

29 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Yet in their defence they have a wicked sick light show.

Agree with you there, the light show is awesome. Personally, been looking forward to Moderat since the first poster was announced. Was a wee bit disapointed that they're going to be on in day light as I thought the light show in John Peel or at night on the Park would have been quite something + it's the kind of music to get lost to. Cinematic Orchestra into them and then into Justice may build very nicely though, have my sunday sorted I reckon. 

7 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

I don't remember the end of the show. In fact I only remember tiny tiny bits of the show as a whole. Remember one of them holding up signs saying things like 'applause'. I have a memory of coming back into consciousness at some point sat outside some tipi playing music with some 30-ish year old couples, stumbling back to my tent, trying to piss in a can in my tent, golden showering myself, the inside of my tent and someone I'd met and made friends with that weekend (you know like when you put a spoon under a tap), then waking up the next morning to find my friends who hadn't seen me since RTJ/The Libs the previous day.

A good night.

Do you ever go one day without flinging your own bodily waste everywhere?

The West Holts lineup is now in order on the Glastonbury 2017 Spotify playlist (after the main poster, about 1/4 down). A few discoveries whilst adding:

• 'Henry Wu presents The Kamaal Williams Ensemble' is the new band of half of recently split critically acclaimed young British modern jazz duo Yussef Kamaal. So they're on the playlist as Yussef Kamaal, material from whose sole album they play. Anyone who enjoys Badbadnotgood or Kamasi Washington ought to check them out. (The other half of the original band is the drummer in Afrobeat band United Vibrations, who were down as a TBC until recently but seem to have disappeared.)
  • Ata Kak is 'Ghanaian dance rap' originally recorded in the '90s, re-discovered by Awesome Tapes from Africa.
  • Delighted to see the spacious psychedelic guitar lines of Khruangbin back.

19 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:
  • 'Henry Wu presents The Kamaal Williams Ensemble' is the new band of half of recently split critically acclaimed young British modern jazz duo Yussef Kamaal. So they're on the playlist as Yussef Kamaal, material from whose sole album they play. Anyone who enjoys Badbadnotgood or Kamasi Washington ought to check them out. (The other half of the original band is the drummer in Afrobeat band United Vibrations, who were down as a TBC until recently but seem to have disappeared.)

Yeah, I'll second that. Black Focus is the name of the (fantastic) record. Pretty close to BadBadNotGood, which is no bad thing.

9 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I am so looking forward to Sunday night in Jazz world, for me it's the strongest stage on Sunday./

may just rock up at lunch time with my chair stay there all day and drink cider all day 

That's my thinking but for Saturday. Sunday I would like to catch the top 3, what are we saying in relation to clashes with what will be going on at the Pyramid? I'm guessing Cinematic Orchestra clashing with Chic? That'll be a kick in the gonads.

Just now, mjsell said:

That's my thinking but for Saturday. Sunday I would like to catch the top 3, what are we saying in relation to clashes with what will be going on at the Pyramid? I'm guessing Cinematic Orchestra clashing with Chic? That'll be a kick in the gonads.

that all depends for me 

If it sunny I will sit back and watch cinematic orchestra, maybe get a rug out sit at the back. if it's raining or cloudy Chic wins have a boogie and get warm 

5 minutes ago, PretentiousThinkpiece said:

surprised at the lack of songhoy blues, would've thought they're a perfect fit for west holts

hopefully they're on the park instead

Yeah I second that, I fear they may get an afternoon other or very early pyramid slot

I reckon Songhoy Blues might be consigned to the barren wasteland of the Other. A horrible fate for a great band.

Hoping Ibibio Sound Machine are yet to be announced and have been promoted to early Pyramid, had to miss the end of their 2015 set for Patti Smith, so I got unfinished business with them.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I reckon Songhoy Blues might be consigned to the barren wasteland of the Other. A horrible fate for a great band.

They did the same to my boys Young Fathers who are definitely more of a Park/John Peel band who were forced to play the Other in the sun (i know they played the park a few years before but still)

When they were announced, Songhoy Blues posted a pic on Instagram of them playing the Pyramid and said they can't wait to do it all again. They may have just meant they can't wait to play Glasto again but I read it as them saying they're playing Pyramid again. Definitely don't seem like an Other band, anyway.

Just now, PretentiousThinkpiece said:

They did the same to my boys Young Fathers who are definitely more of a Park/John Peel band who were forced to play the Other in the sun (i know they played the park a few years before but still)

Lest we forget. I wasn't too bothered because I saw them 4 other times that year, and they clashed with Sleaford Mods anyway, and it looked like all those who were there had a great time regardless. But it did mean that they were more prominent on the TV coverage, and therefore incurred the wrath of Gareth Gates.

On 26/05/2017 at 10:41 AM, Brave Sir Robin said:

The West Holts lineup is now in order on the Glastonbury 2017 Spotify playlist (after the main poster, about 1/4 down). A few discoveries whilst adding:

• Ata Kak is 'Ghanaian dance rap' originally recorded in the '90s, re-discovered by Awesome Tapes from Africa.
  • Delighted to see the spacious psychedelic guitar lines of Khruangbin back.

I know this isn't quite the right thread. But thanks so much for putting your playlist together (every year). It must take ages and a lot of dedication. But it's great for the run up to glasto to find those bands you never knew existed. Many thanks!

1 hour ago, selotape said:

I know this isn't quite the right thread. But thanks so much for putting your playlist together (every year). It must take ages and a lot of dedication. But it's great for the run up to glasto to find those bands you never knew existed. Many thanks!

Robin & @Gnomicide live in a basement together and compile this sort of stuff in between games of World of Warcraft and episodes of Baywatch. 

1 minute ago, billum said:

Agreed, but we don't know this for sure as yet - she *could* pop up in a lower Pyramid slot like Kelis did (although WH is clearly her spiritual home)

Headlining WH is the only acceptable booking surely, we've waited long enough?