West Holts 2017

Gucci Piggy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Do you think its overly optimistic of me to think I can watch at last half of his set and get a good spot, because Radiohead won't be completely rammo? I want a good spot, but it seems a shame to waste seeing him just to stand about.... We need times damnit!

Its just down to your own priorities. For me Radiohead headlining pyramid stage is a one off oportunity who knows when / if they will headline again or if ill get tickets when they do. Have to see them in the best place which will right down the front with the other nerds :D

Plus the xx are are a great band to see just before. I could think of worse subs ive had to sit through for prime real estate!

3 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

Its just down to your own priorities. For me Radiohead headlining pyramid stage is a one off oportunity who knows when / if they will headline again or if ill get tickets when they do. Have to see them in the best place which will right down the front with the other nerds :D

Plus the xx are are a great band to see just before. I could think of worse subs ive had to sit through for prime real estate!

I think I'll also be skipping Paak, although the less for the spot and more for the atmosphere. As I've got older my festivals have become much more fluid - generally a good thing I think - but I miss that sense of collective anticipation that you only get when you camp out with all the geeks beforehand. Think the last time I did that was for REM at Tin the Park in '03, had to sit through the Cardigans but was worth it for a front row high five / awkward grapple with Stipe.

3 minutes ago, Grinding aftertaste said:

I think I'll also be skipping Paak, although the less for the spot and more for the atmosphere. As I've got older my festivals have become much more fluid - generally a good thing I think - but I miss that sense of collective anticipation that you only get when you camp out with all the geeks beforehand. Think the last time I did that was for REM at Tin the Park in '03, had to sit through the Cardigans but was worth it for a front row high five / awkward grapple with Stipe.

yeah i totally agree when i say spot i mean for the atmoshphere. I dont think seeing a band you love further back is the same at all. Not for me anyway. I love seeing the music with other people who love it aswell. At the back you get the passers by, the bucket listers, the talkers. If its something i love i want to be with the geeks. The atmosphere down there is crazy. 

Its prob why my experiences at some gigs are so different to others. Im always down in the front section for the bands I love (will be there for xx, radiohead, national and foos this year). 

15 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

Aye, true. Plus I'm almost 100% most of my friends will want to do as you have suggested, which may involve going to see Paak alone and then not only getting a shit spot for Radiohead, but having to stand it it by myself. Which would suck!

I'd prefer to be further back for Radiohead. I'd like to be able to take in the entire spectacle and the field - but it's not worth the likely risk of being stuck next to a (as coined by the missus) "noise w**ker", so inside the barrier it has to be

13 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Do you think its overly optimistic of me to think I can watch at last half of his set and get a good spot, because Radiohead won't be completely rammo? I want a good spot, but it seems a shame to waste seeing him just to stand about.... We need times damnit!

Depends on how you define a good spot. Our good spot is kinda back and to the right of the right soundstage, from experience it should be no problem to get from WH to there within 45 mins including a quick pit stop if you get a move on. Anything less might be pushing it. 

I'd imagine (although I'm happy to be proven wrong) that Radiohead would draw the smallest crowd of the 3 pyramid headliners, so cutting through from halfway up the field near the urinals to behind the sound stages should be fairly easy. 

But that's us! If you wanna get further forward might be best to play it safe and write off Anderson Paak entirely. I get the impression he's gonna be one of them acts that's hard to tear yourself away from. 

11 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Aye, true. Plus I'm almost 100% most of my friends will want to do as you have suggested, which may involve going to see Paak alone and then not only getting a shit spot for Radiohead, but having to stand it it by myself. Which would suck!

This happened to me for Kanye and was really annoying (although I ended making friends with two guys near me before he came on who shared lots of things with me, so could have been worse).

They went to the Pyramid for Paloma Faith onwards. I turned up mid-way through Pharrell and couldn't get inside the front barrier at all.

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

This happened to me for Kanye and was really annoying (although I ended making friends with two guys near me before he came on who shared lots of things with me, so could have been worse).

They went to the Pyramid for Paloma Faith onwards. I turned up mid-way through Pharrell and couldn't get inside the front barrier at all.

was one of these by any chance me? i was handing out joints to everyone in the pit area haha :D

4 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

I'd imagine (although I'm happy to be proven wrong) that Radiohead would draw the smallest crowd of the 3 pyramid headliners, so cutting through from halfway up the field near the urinals to behind the sound stages should be fairly easy. 

I'd have thought so too but it depends on the alternatives. I suspect Radiohead's audience will thin out quite a bit unless they make the setlist festival friendly.

3 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

was one of these by any chance me? i was handing out joints to everyone in the pit area haha :D

There is a joy in doing that. Watching Chvrches last year a group of lads next to me jokingly said "ah, thought you were going to pass that mate" after I stubbed out. Gave them what they probably thought was a very funny look, then proceeded to pull a fresh pre-rolled out of my tin and handed it over.

They proceeded to share whatever the hell it was they were drinking and everyone left happy! :D

Edited by Quark

Just now, Quark said:

There is a joy in doing that. Watching Chvrches last year a group of lads next to me jokingly said "ah, thought you were going to pass that mate". Gave them what they probably thought was a very funny look, then proceeded to pull a fresh pre-rolled out of my tin and handed it over.

They proceeded to share whatever the hell it was they were drinking and everyone left happy! :D

its one of the many joys. I was at the foals before muse last year and i dropped a bag of "vitamins" and didnt realise, Guy behind me picked it up and was like mate you might need this! So i thanked him by getting him pretty high :D 

4 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Haha if that's you in your pic then sadly not. I didn't actually make it to the pit, was stuck near the sound desks 

Hah yeah it's me. I was inside the first barrier blood on the leaves came on and I started sparking  up and  handing out ! 

28 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

But that's us! If you wanna get further forward might be best to play it safe and write off Anderson Paak entirely. I get the impression he's gonna be one of them acts that's hard to tear yourself away from. 

21 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Aah decisions decisions. I've only ever seen one headliner at the pyramid before, and it was Arcade Fire. Was keen to see them but not super fussed, so I think we were probably around about where you describe @Junglist1981. Some of my mates are really into Arcade Fire though, so presumably if they weren't fussed about getting closer from them, they won't be for Radiohead. However, when I see a band I really like, I do like to get pretty close...

I'll spend the next four weeks agonising over this, and whatever decision I make will probably be overturned at the last minute anyway. I can imagine me agreeing to go to The XX and then suddenly deciding in my drunken state to run off and see A. Paak....not to be seen again until Saturday morning. 

Just now, sunnydaysblue said:

Moderate are a must - and I'd rather see Jacksons over Foos so my Saturday headliner is sorted I think. I really hope Moderate dont clash with London Grammar, who I'm guessing with be in John Peel again.

London Grammar will most likely be high Other (or possibly even mid Pyramid). Can't imagine they'll be in the John Peel again.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

There is a joy in doing that. Watching Chvrches last year a group of lads next to me jokingly said "ah, thought you were going to pass that mate" after I stubbed out. Gave them what they probably thought was a very funny look, then proceeded to pull a fresh pre-rolled out of my tin and handed it over.

Excellent! Only at Glastonbury have i've experienced this

1 minute ago, Slugworth said:

Yeah, I generally don't swig from clear plastic bottles of unidentified hooch passed to me by slurring strangers in the real world :lol:

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Yeah, I generally don't swig from clear plastic bottles of unidentified hooch passed to me by slurring strangers in the real world :lol:

I was the only one of my group with the cahones to stick out the wait before Stones in the pit. I was befriended by some kiwis who insisted I swig quite a lot of their moonshine. It was a good night.

14 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I was the only one of my group with the cahones to stick out the wait before Stones in the pit. I was befriended by some kiwis who insisted I swig quite a lot of their moonshine. It was a good night.

How long was the wait before Stones in the pit?

17 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

I think it happens there more than anywhere else but I had a great experience right at the front on them crooked vultures at Reading where a couple of mates and I held off the crowd so a chap could skin up. Once complete he immediately popped it behind his ear and rolled us one for ourselves by way of thanks.  

2 hours ago, Madyaker said:

I'll take moderat followed by justice thanks very much! That's the start of my Sunday night sorted.

It's a good pair I agree, but I'll be seeing Justice at Bestival so I was hoping for something else. 

19 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

How long was the wait before Stones in the pit?

Abnormally large gap between Primal Scream and them, about 90 mins I think, long time to stand up doing nowt. Luckily Lizo off Newsround popped up for a bit so we could all chant at him.