West Holts 2017

Gucci Piggy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/18/2016 at 7:24 PM, Badlands said:

It wasn't done intentionally. Beef with neither the poster nor the acts mentioned. I'll rectify.

Ah, have done that myself when using my phone. Thanks for clearing it up sir :)

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

Hip-hop aside, I'm rarely knowledgeable enough on the WH genres to suggest acts. More than happy to get my ears into recommendations and stuff that pops up on the lineup. 

I find jazz/funk, world music much easier to hear live without knowing the stuff compared to your usual guitar stuff.

I'll go with both of those, except I also know bugger all about hip hop!

There's been some good reggae on there, remember seeing the Congos a few years back and they were brilliant for a sunny afternoon.  Gregory Porter last year as well, although he moved up (although I think WH suited him far better) to Pyramid this year.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In the spirit of continuing to throw names into the hat (without much idea of whether or not they can (still) cut the mustard live or not):

Fred Wesley and the New JBs

Albeit, I saw the Fredster about 4 or 5 years ago and it was a hoot, albeit a very drunken one from my side.

oddly, they played my local bout 3 years ago. on that particular occaision, the mustard was most definitely cut. 

3 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I think I'm on repeat but will mention again with more hope than expectation:

Boz Scaggs

Jason Isbell

Santana

Steely Dan

The Mavericks

Rhiannon Giddens

Steve Earle

The Avett Brothers

Balkan Beat Box

Peter Gabriel

and almost any act from Mali & Senegal

Can I propose you as booker for WH 2017?

Would love any of them, would add Afro Celt Sound System and step up The Ben Miller Band from Avalon.

I don't really see why not. Fundamentally it's not a nostalgia stage, but no reason why the odd  1980s synthpop act couldn’t feature.  You wouldn't want them and, say Erasure in the same year, but as time marches on there are fewer and fewer sixties and seventies acts still extant to choose from.

I mean, Dare is a solid gold belter - but Kraftwerk first.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I mean, Dare is a solid gold belter - but Kraftwerk first.

My only problem with Kraftwerk is that, no matter what they've done, the first thing that always comes into my head is Bill Bailey's version of Das Hokey Cokey.

I'd like to see Gustavo Santaolalla returning. He's known for his film and game soundtracks such as The Motorcycle Diaries and The Last Of Us.  He was there in 2014 as part of Bajofondo,  but I'd like to hear him doing some of his more acoustic numbers, like his album Qhapaq Ñan, or The Motorcycle Diaries.