Other Stage 2017

Gucci Piggy

Seeing as we're past the 2016 festival now I though we may as well have a few more specific threads for different stages rather than discussing everything in the headliners thread and the wishlist thread, so here we are.

At the moment I can see something like the following...

Friday: The Prodigy / HAIM / Hozier

Saturday: Nine Inch Nails / Frank Ocean / You Me at Six

Sunday: Major Lazer / James Bay / London Grammar 

(These days are up against respective Pyramid headliners of Radiohead, Ed Sheeran and The Stone Roses, for reference)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Seeing as we're past the 2016 festival now I though we may as well have a few more specific threads for different stages rather than discussing everything in the headliners thread and the wishlist thread, so here we are.

At the moment I can see something like the following...

Friday: The Prodigy / HAIM / Hozier

Saturday: Nine Inch Nails / Frank Ocean / You Me at Six

Sunday: Major Lazer / James Bay / London Grammar 

(These days are up against respective Pyramid headliners of Radiohead, Ed Sheeran and The Stone Roses, for reference)

If that were to be the case, what with the Other Stage now looking and sounding better, I'd be there on the Friday and Sunday night. The Prodigy are fantastic live, am yet to see Major Lazer but they most definitely are on my 'to see' list. Saturday I wouldn't be at the Other or Pyramid, so hopefully a decent West Holts / JP / Park headliner!

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Frank Ocean in to Nine Inch Nails *foam*

can't see it being The Prodigy - will they even still be touring then? although a big dance/poppier act up against Radiohead makes sense. i just couldn't think who

Not sure tbh. I think I did have Bon Iver there but moved him to Pyramid sub in the end. 20th anniversary of The Fat of the Land next year so could see them doing some shows for that and it'll be 8 years since their last Glasto appearance so if they do something I could see them being snapped up. Glasto obviously have previous form booking full album shows with Screamadelica in 2011(?).

The Prodigy tour constantly so they probably will be available. If it's Sheeran on the Saturday then I would love The Prodigy as an option that night. Radiohead/The Prodigy/Roses would be bloody great, before even taking into account what's on elsewhere. They should do some Jilted Generation gigs, that would be fucking great on the Other Stage. 

6 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Four years since Chase and Status headed against the Stones, Wouldn't surprise me to just rebook them if there's not many other dance acts about.

i don't see Chase & Status turning in to a Chemical Brothers-esque house electronic band. at least i hope not, as they seemed like a dull booking in 2013

Fer fucks sake I just did a big ol' post of this in another thread...

If it's all varying degrees of electronica topping the Other Stage bill; Major Lazer feel like a shoo in, as does a 2013 repeat of Chase & Status or The xx, then I'm not sure. NIN would be great, maybe a making-up-the-numbers push for someone like Justice or Flume or Kygo. Also maybe alt-J returning but if the drummer just released a solo album then I dunno if they'll be back next summer.

I'll go for this:

Major Lazer, You Me at Six, Primal Scream, St. Vincent
Nine Inch Nails, The War on Drugs, Hozier, Slaves
Chase & Status, James Bay, London Grammar, Rat Boy

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Also maybe alt-J returning but if the drummer just released a solo album then I dunno if they'll be back next summer.

surely next time they'll play they'll be subbing at least, or even on their way to headlining? (can definitely see R/L giving them that push come the next album)

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

surely next time they'll play they'll be subbing at least, or even on their way to headlining? (can definitely see R/L giving them that push come the next album)

Think they'll (at least co-)headline R&L on their next album but like Dental I'm not sure they'll be back next Summer. Pointless looking so far ahead but something like a Tame Impala/alt-J co-headline at R&L 2018 seems right.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i don't see Chase & Status turning in to a Chemical Brothers-esque house electronic band. at least i hope not, as they seemed like a dull booking in 2013

I agree. But struggling to think of what dance act could fit that Other headliner niche haha. I just wish Justice were bigger.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Well seeing as Disclosure are coheadlining R+L and headlined Other then they could do something like that. Plus they already did Pyramid last year.

With the other stage heading in a more electronic direction lately, Major Lazer are probably going to be on everyone's list as an obvious contender. After that I've not got very many ideas at all, probably too early to turn back to Massive Attack/Portishead/Chemical Brothers. 

I don't think anyone would have seen LCD Soundsystem coming at this stage, so I'm open to another marvellous reunion to fly into the frame 

33 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I agree. But struggling to think of what dance act could fit that Other headliner niche haha. I just wish Justice were bigger.

I think Justice could headline. Whether they would or not is another matter!

4 minutes ago, richy24 said:

Has Fatboy Slim ever played one of the bigger outdoor stages or does he always play smaller areas?

Pretty uninspired but always draws a huge crowd!

headlined Other in 2005. what with him getting a main stage slot this year i doubt he'll be returning to another main stage any time soon - back to the thousand not so secret sets over the weekend

Peter Hook and The Light doing Music Complete in full..........

Ok then lets go for Depeche Mode up against Ed Sheeran. Been thinking about it and if Metallica were going to do The Other Stage then there is no reason for the Mode not to do it. Saying that it will probably be The Courteeners.

Edited by eastynh

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Peter Hook and The Light doing Music Complete in full..........

Ok then lets go for Depeche Mode up against Ed Sheeran. Been thinking about it and if Metallica were going to do The Other Stage then there is no reason for the Mode not to do it. Saying that it will probably be The Courteeners.

there's a story somewhere about somebody bumping in to Eavis in a supermarket in something like the November before 2014's festival and asking him about the headliners, to which he replied 'Metallica'. we all had a good laugh about it at the time but then it obviously proved to be true, and i believe Neil has confirmed the festival weren't in talks with Prince that year - he was just who they wanted. because of this, i find it hard to believe Metallica were ever thought of as anything else than Pyramid headliner by the organisers. if Depeche Mode ever do play it'll be as a headliner for sure

Major Lazer vs Radiohead

Nine Inch Nails vs Ed Sheeran

fuck knows vs The Stone Roses

1 hour ago, Kizzie said:

Saw them at a festival a couple of weeks before Glastonbury, were better than New Order. :ph34r:

How dare you :P

Got to give it Hooky, he loves playing live and puts on a show. He needs to do new music of his own now though otherwise he is just taking the piss. He is doing cover versions of songs, which for the most part he did not write or sing.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

there's a story somewhere about somebody bumping in to Eavis in a supermarket in something like the November before 2014's festival and asking him about the headliners, to which he replied 'Metallica'. we all had a good laugh about it at the time but then it obviously proved to be true, and i believe Neil has confirmed the festival weren't in talks with Prince that year - he was just who they wanted. because of this, i find it hard to believe Metallica were ever thought of as anything else than Pyramid headliner by the organisers. if Depeche Mode ever do play it'll be as a headliner for sure

Major Lazer vs Radiohead

Nine Inch Nails vs Ed Sheeran

fuck knows vs The Stone Roses

I soooo hope its Depeche Mode. You can keep the Roses. Been there and done that in regards to the Roses. Dave Gahan would own the pyramid where as the Roses would be like karaoke,

1 hour ago, Kizzie said:

Saw them at a festival a couple of weeks before Glastonbury, were better than New Order. :ph34r:

See I saw them last year, thought New Order were miles better. Enjoyed Hook, but wasn't a patch on new order for me.

What about Pet Shop Boys returning, last played 2010 wasn't it? I'd dig that

12 minutes ago, eastynh said:

How dare you :P

Got to give it Hooky, he loves playing live and puts on a show. He needs to do new music of his own now though otherwise he is just taking the piss. He is doing cover versions of songs, which for the most part he did not write or sing.

Yeah I know,:P  I was expecting that.

I went to New Order at t'Other for Neil, sorry easty not my thing.  Cold, dull, souless blah blah.  I know  they should have an Afro Beat horn section, warm em up a bit. :D