Other Stage 2017

Gucci Piggy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Huh? This is the worst post I've ever read on efestivals.

Cultural appropriation is a thing, and grime is clearly being bigged up by the white-dominated parts of the music industry more than shouting slang over minimalist beats would ordinarily merit.. which part of the post is so wrong, exactly

22 minutes ago, Purple aki squat said:

Christ, I feel old.

Drake sounds like a bored auto tuned recording of a self help book to me. Can't fathom how he has gotten where he is.

Nah I feel that, his popularity is less justified than most of the people currently at the same level, but it is what it is 

10 minutes ago, Prat. said:

Cultural appropriation is a thing, and grime is clearly being bigged up by the white-dominated parts of the music industry more than shouting slang over minimalist beats would ordinarily merit.. which part of the post is so wrong, exactly

Probably the part about being scared of being left out by Black Lives Matter or whatever it was :lol: I would agree with you if you were saying the way certain portions of the media are falling over themselves to insist they're fans of it is a bit weird, but that's just a typical example of people getting carried away with wanting to seem on board with what's popular and hyped, nothing to do with cultural appropriation

Edited by Zac Quinn

56 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

Feeling lost after reading the last few pages of this thread....

Don't  know any of Wiley (pete?), skeptic, bbk (I went to Bilbao BBK once), kanoe...

Wrong demographic I guess :(

Demographic shmemographic.   There's nothing wrong with keeping an open mind, having a listen and maybe liking it.

16 minutes ago, Prat. said:

Grime is being championed up by the white members of the (largely white) music industry, but the artists themselves are largely independent. Skepta is bigger now as an independent artist than he was on Island records, most of Konnichiwa  was produced by Skepta and the other two producers on the record were black. Wiley, Stormzy, Bugzy Malone, Jme, Ghetts, Akala and many other of the country's biggest MC's are independent or on tiny record labels.

I don't know where black lives matter comes into this? Except for the fact the artists themselves are predominantly black, but as you describe grime as 'shouting slang over minimalist  beats' it's pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about.

Edited by Alex DeLarge

9 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Grime is being championed up by the white members of the (largely white) music industry, but the artists themselves are largely independent. Skepta is bigger now as an independent artist than he was on Island records, most of Konnichiwa  was produced by Skepta and the other two producers on the record were black. Wiley, Stormzy, Bugzy Malone, Jme, Ghetts, Akala and many other of the country's biggest MC's are independent or on tiny record labels.

I don't know where black lives matter comes into this? Except for the fact the artists themselves are predominantly black, but as you describe grime as 'shouting slang over minimalist  beats' it's pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about.

White people being insecure about emerging cultures and going one of two ways, either aggresively fighting against it to the point of racism, or alternatively being overly-keen to integrate it into white culture, is a tale old as time. See also how desperate the left who live in Muslim-heavy areas are to have it known they're anti-Isreal

Just the fact a movement which's most famous lyric is "ring ring pussy is shut down" is supposedly the future is plainly ridiculous

5 minutes ago, Prat. said:

Just the fact a movement which's most famous lyric is "ring ring pussy is shut down" is supposedly the future is plainly ridiculous

Shutdown is just a massive tune, not because of a desperation to integrate black people into society, it's just a tune, jfc 

Edited by Zac Quinn

11 minutes ago, Prat. said:

White people being insecure about emerging cultures and going one of two ways, either aggresively fighting against it to the point of racism, or alternatively being overly-keen to integrate it into white culture, is a tale old as time. See also how desperate the left who live in Muslim-heavy areas are to have it known they're anti-Isreal

Or they like the music and listen to it the same as they would if it was by a white artist...?

6 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Ah yes, that's exactly the same as a group of middle-class white people listening to Skepta.

In the sense the people in question are terribly insecure to point of wanting to have an opinion which 'fits in' with an emerging culture for fear of being scared of being an outcast, yes!!!

3 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Or they like the music and listen to it the same as they would if it was by a white artist...?

but they don't

Or has music genuinely fallen from OK Computer to "ring ring pussy is shutdown" as the bar its aiming for in only 20 years

11 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Pop music lyrics in "being daft and sexist" shocker. Yeah, definitely exclusive to grime that.

Absolutely. Grime = sexist evil. 

To redress the balance I'm trying to steer my 4 daughters towards listening to 60s rock bands. 

34 minutes ago, Prat. said:

In the sense the people in question are terribly insecure to point of wanting to have an opinion which 'fits in' with an emerging culture for fear of being scared of being an outcast, yes!!!

but they don't

Or has music genuinely fallen from OK Computer to "ring ring pussy is shutdown" as the bar its aiming for in only 20 years

The only person who seems scared here is you. Why are you so theatened by Grime's success?