Other Stage 2017

Gucci Piggy

59 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it would be fairly unusual, tho it sometimes happens, and is often more likely for a band who are just a little bit off the big time and hoping to break thru, which is about where I'd put Alt-J.

Of course, what's been mailed to me might be total bullshit. 

It does seem to fit to me, tho. As far as i'm aware they were due to headline Other a couple of years ago, and then stuff was swapped around and they ended up with what they might have regarded as a worse slot. Giving them the Other this year seems to fit with that to me.

ah right, if that's the case I agree with @01seb, got to be Sunday Other headliners. Would imagine they attract different crowd to Foo as well.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alt-J are definitely big enough for that, I wouldn't say they're any smaller than The xx anyway. I saw the last 20 minutes of their set last time and the combination of them being quite dull and it being straight after Future Islands meant they didn't come across well. Might end up seeing them as headlining a stage at night would be a different experience but ideally there will be something better on a smaller stage.

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

alt-J are definitely big enough for that, I wouldn't say they're any smaller than The xx anyway. I saw the last 20 minutes of their set last time and the combination of them being quite dull and it being straight after Future Islands meant they didn't come across well. Might end up seeing them as headlining a stage at night would be a different experience but ideally there will be something better on a smaller stage.

Yea, I don't think there'd be much in it but alt-J probably do actually have an edge on The xx in the mainstream, but it might be easy to think the opposite considering the love for the latter here and derision for alt-J in communities like this one. Still predicting them both to headline the Other Stage though, despite the similarities.

However they came to play the Pyramid after Lionel last time, it was an awful slot for them really and they should fare much better this time around.

Edited by dentalplan

32 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yea, I don't think there'd be much in it but alt-J probably do actually have an edge on The xx in the mainstream, but it might be easy to think the opposite considering the love for the latter here and derision for alt-J in communities like this one. Still predicting them both to headline the Other Stage though, despite the similarities.

However they came to play the Pyramid after Lionel last time, it was an awful slot for them really and they should fare much better this time around.

Really? Alt-J are the kind of avantgarde  bed wetting indie band I would have thought would be overrepresented here, what with all the Radiohead love.

41 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Really? Alt-J are the kind of avantgarde  bed wetting indie band I would have thought would be overrepresented here, what with all the Radiohead love.

They are Radiohead for all the dry-sheet Instagrammers with friends and stuff. Naturally I've never listened to one of their albums.

Context on the Alt-J thing; it was me who emailed Neil with it. Some of my friends who come into contact with bands through work very often have recently been told by a band member that they're headlining the Other. I 100% trust that what was told to me is true, to me it's only a question of was he bullshitting or had his wires mixed, which both seem unlikely in the context. I asked them to probe him for other info, namely Bjork, he apparently knew nothing about Bjork but did know about Foos (which could suggest they're the Foos day?).

It all sounds pretty legit to me, I trust it fully. I emailed Neil with it rather than posting here first to see if he had any other info that might link it up, but if Neil thinks the report it worthy of going on the boards off the strength of that report then it reduces my worry of looking like a total Roses4Baggy.

10 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

So if its Alt-J vs Foos, Im hoping either JayKay is headlining the WH or The flaming lips are on the JP / Park.

Id rather not have the Foos as my sunday main closer

Jamiroquai on WH would be soooo ideal for me, nice and easy for a b-line straight for the SE

9 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

That's a point about Hurricane/Southside. Probably are on Sunday then. Bit annoying as I wanted Bon Iver to end my weekend on; guess they'll be on Saturday against Ed instead.

I don't see that, personally. Think Bon Iver would sooner end up subbing Ed with how it's looking. Can't imagine the top two stages simultaneously being headlined by a dude in a checked shirt weeping over their acoustic guitar.

West Holts can usually be relied upon to put on something that will guarantee a ballin Sunday night (only dropped a bollock with Disclosure in recent years); please don't put bloody Jamiroquai on against Foos and Alt-J. Only way I'd be having that is if The Park goes back to a normal Sunday night kicking out time.

If The Weeknd, Bon Iver and Alt-J headline the Other it'd be a little like the three sides of the same coin. The pop hipster, the alternative hipster and the indie hipster. Might mean that Nine Inch Nails are in with a chance on Saturday night

Edited by Acid_Haze

34 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

If The Weeknd, Bon Iver and Alt-J headline the Other it'd be a little like the three sides of the same coin. The pop hipster, the alternative hipster and the indie hipster. Might mean that Nine Inch Nails are in with a chance on Saturday night

"Hipster" of course being a completely meaningless term in this context. I feel like you actually mean they're all current acts with an audience largely in their 20s, with NIN being a more seasoned act? If so I agree with you and think NIN are a good fit for Saturday night, it does look like the sort of combination they'd go for if previous years are anything to go by. But there again they can only book who's around, and if NIN, PSB and Prodigy aren't on the cards then that trio is a good one.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I don't see that, personally. Think Bon Iver would sooner end up subbing Ed with how it's looking. Can't imagine the top two stages simultaneously being headlined by a dude in a checked shirt weeping over their acoustic guitar.

This is the reason I expected Sheeran vs alt-J and Foos vs Bon Iver in the first place, but if alt-J do play on the Sunday I'd still expect Saturday Other headliner over any other slot for Bon.

FWIW, I reckon/hope this is what we'll get

Friday
Pyr: The Radioheads, Firstname Bon Secondname Iver
Oth: The Weeknd
WH: Bjork

Saturday
Pyr: Theodore Sheeran, HRH Lady Gaga Princess of Wales
Oth: NIN for the lads
WH: Run The Jewels, The Avalanches

Sunday
Pyr: Foo and the lads, The XX
Oth: Alt-Right J
WH: A Tribe Called Quest, Erykah Badu

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

"Hipster" of course being a completely meaningless term in this context. I feel like you actually mean they're all current acts with an audience largely in their 20s, with NIN being a more seasoned act? If so I agree with you and think NIN are a good fit for Saturday night, it does look like the sort of combination they'd go for if previous years are anything to go by. But there again they can only book who's around, and if NIN, PSB and Prodigy aren't on the cards then that trio is a good one.

The Weeknd, Bon Iver and Alt-J are the three elements you need to make a complete triangle.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ - - - - - - - - - - ∆ - - - - - - - - - - _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Edited by Acid_Haze

NIN actually having at least one live date this year has got me all hopeful about them being there again, even though I doubt it's actually gonna happen/don't have enough faith in the bookers to make it happen

The Weeknd, Bon Iver and Alt-J would be a great trio even if i did miss The Weeknd and am not arsed about Alt-J. Not my preferred trio, but undeniably strong. Like dental though I can't see Bonny Bear going up against Ed as it's all a bit too 'a man and his guitar' even if both acts have somewhat moved away from that now

3 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Would be an idiotic clash really, could imagine Bjork against Foo Fighters.

Yeah there's no way they'd stick Bjork up against Radiohead - would make far more sense against either of the other two headliners