Other Stage 2017

Gucci Piggy

3 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I never got the appeal of post Hold Your Colour Pendulum personally. 

Is there any potential for Placebo to take a headlining spot? Don't know if they're big enough these days, but did recently do an arena tour. 

If Placebo made an appearance I'd imagine they'd be third down Other, or even possibly headlining JP - can't see them getting a higher billing than that. More than likely won't be appearing though as they haven't done a UK festival in a long time

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Is it odd that a lot of these 'bigger on the continent' acts have a bit of a kinky leather element to them?

I actually brought this up in a conversation about Depeche Mode not having played the festival a couple of days ago :lol:

Just waiting for Editors to release their inevitable S&M inspired album for their popularity over there to start making sense

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Someone's just mailed me to say he's heard that Alt-J are headlining the Other Stage.

I can't guarantee anything about it, but he's told me how he's come to hear of it, and if everything is as he says it should be spot on.

Christ. Really? Odd booking if true. Unless they release something pretty massive between now and then. Hmmn. 

I think that's a bit underwhelming if true. I'm a fan of them, but their stock hasn't really increased since they last placed and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of buzz about the new record. Hopefully it's against Foo Fighters and something more interesting is on against Eddie boy.

alt-J could have headlined Other the last time they played and we all thought they were going to until late on. They were also clearly going to sub the Pyramid until Weller came in as a package with The Who. They're definitely big enough to headline Other and lots of us expected them to be headlining R&L this year.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

I'd just started to think that they were gonna miss out Glastonbury this year but there you go! Up against either Ed or Foos would make sense (probably Foos, which would be great for me)

Im guessing Sunday.

Its not often 2 "newer" acts are on at the same time on the main 2 stages. Adele vs New Order for example. 

Even though alt j are just shite, Radiohead vs Alt j means the main 2 stages wont have much in the way of uplifting music. Cant see that.

Hope this doesn't put Bon Iver being one of the Other headliners in to crisis. I know they're not really that similar, but I guess they both appeal to a certain demographic, and are both pretty low key for Other headliners (especially with the recent trend of electronic acts, and especially if one is up against Ed)

edit: also I'd say that makes The xx subbing Radiohead far more likely as I can't see them having two low-key recent indie darlings headline Other on consecutive nights, and The xx are undeniably bigger than Alt-J

Edited by FloorFiller

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Someone's just mailed me to say he's heard that Alt-J are headlining the Other Stage.

I can't guarantee anything about it, but he's told me how he's come to hear of it, and if everything is as he says it should be spot on.

That's really odd. Just looked up their tour dates on their official website, it says that they are playing two different festivals in Germany Hurricane Festival and Southside Festival during that weekend. And Croatia and Belgium before/afterwards. Seems really weird if they are doing three different festivals within 3 days. (in 2 different country)

13 minutes ago, defrio29 said:

That's really odd. Just looked up their tour dates on their official website, it says that they are playing two different festivals in Germany Hurricane Festival and Southside Festival during that weekend. And Croatia and Belgium before/afterwards. Seems really weird if they are doing three different festivals within 3 days. (in 2 different country)

it would be fairly unusual, tho it sometimes happens, and is often more likely for a band who are just a little bit off the big time and hoping to break thru, which is about where I'd put Alt-J.

Of course, what's been mailed to me might be total bullshit. 

It does seem to fit to me, tho. As far as i'm aware they were due to headline Other a couple of years ago, and then stuff was swapped around and they ended up with what they might have regarded as a worse slot. Giving them the Other this year seems to fit with that to me.

49 minutes ago, defrio29 said:

There's always a few bands that do both German festivals and Glasto on the same weekend. Editors, Two Door Cinema Club and Jack Garratt all did it in 2015. 

Would say that Alt-J would play Germany on Friday/Saturday, then come over for Glasto on the Sunday. Rather than coming over on the Saturday for Glasto in between the German dates.

2 hours ago, jparx said:

I think that's a bit underwhelming if true. I'm a fan of them, but their stock hasn't really increased since they last placed and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of buzz about the new record. Hopefully it's against Foo Fighters and something more interesting is on against Eddie boy.

Very much so, unless they have got it based on it bits them better on the lineup. It looks a bit weak still though. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I'd just started to think that they were gonna miss out Glastonbury this year but there you go! Up against either Ed or Foos would make sense (probably Foos, which would be great for me)

I think Ed is more likely than Foo's myself, they are still a rock band after all. It defo won't be up against Radiohead. Either of those means no Other stage clash issue though.

Edited by thewayiam