Other Stage 2017

Gucci Piggy

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

you're allowed to be and it might be wrong, tho I don't get much more certain about things I hear than I am about this.

From what I heard, Glasto wasn't the only UK fest this year where they got themselves moved to a different spot because they felt it would be a better slot for them.

The best slot isn't necessarily the highest slot, if you care about more than how big your name is on a poster.

makes sense. From the looks of it, new order had a tiny crowd, and i imagine 1975 wouldve been the same

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

aye i think they were probably meant to sub originally but, as you say, knew they'd lose some of their crowd to people getting a spot for Adele so asked to be moved down a slot (if the Adele thing is correct). doubt they were ever considered for all out Other headliner, even though they probably could've done it at a stretch

Yup, I imagine had they been okay with a sub then then and Chvrches would have been swapped around.

I imagine with Neil saying it wasn't the only fest they asked for a better position for them that R&L was potentially one with NME as well instead of 3rd down.

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

you're allowed to be and it might be wrong, tho I don't get much more certain about things I hear than I am about this.

From what I heard, Glasto wasn't the only UK fest this year where they got themselves moved to a different spot because they felt it would be a better slot for them.

The best slot isn't necessarily the highest slot, if you care about more than how big your name is on a poster.

The singer seems to think a lot of himself yet if reports are true, it seems he bottled it. 

6 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The singer seems to think a lot of himself yet if reports are true, it seems he bottled it. 

nope, it's not about bottling it, from what i've heard.

It's about thinking about it, and realising that the highest offer isn't necessarily the best that you might have, and then using the high regard the band has to get a better slot.

What i heard made perfect sense to me, even tho it's an unusual approach (I'm not aware of anything else having done similar, tho that doesn't mean it hasn't happened). A booking agent does what's best for that agent, not necessarily what's best for the band - and this appears to be a band recognising this and taking a bit of control for themselves.

(just so it's clear, i know fuck all about The !975 apart from the gossip that's come my way. As far as i'm aware I've never even heard a song of theirs - so nothing of what's above is complimentary towards what they appear to have done is due to fandom).

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nope, it's not about bottling it, from what i've heard.

It's about thinking about it, and realising that the highest offer isn't necessarily the best that you might have, and then using the high regard the band has to get a better slot.

What i heard made perfect sense to me, even tho it's an unusual approach (I'm not aware of anything else having done similar, tho that doesn't mean it hasn't happened). A booking agent does what's best for that agent, not necessarily what's best for the band - and this appears to be a band recognising this and taking a bit of control for themselves.

(just so it's clear, i know fuck all about The !975 apart from the gossip that's come my way. As far as i'm aware I've never even heard a song of theirs - so nothing of what's above is complimentary towards what they appear to have done is due to fandom).

The singer a bit of a gobby prick but the music is ok. Bit like a poor mans Inxs.

11 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Didn't think this UK arena tour they just started could have been selling that well, given how often they'd been promoting it, but apparently it's entirely sold out including both nights at the O2. Nice 

good on them. they'll be headlining major festivals come the next album easy

12 hours ago, The Orgazoid said:

In the intervening years the quality and stature has, generally, improved. See New Order and LCD this year. 

I assume Disclosure were booked after 19 and the 75 lads said they didn't want to headline? 

I had to read that 3 times before I realised you weren't talking about Disclosure being booked after 2019!

21 hours ago, The Orgazoid said:

I can't believe we live in a world where The 1975 are big/good enough to headline the Other. 

They're a favourite to headline Latitude as well, shocking stuff. 

Being a big band and being good are not mutually exclusive though, I like a few tunes off the first album but how they've got so big of the back of the latest album is beyond me, utter shite.

Plus the lead singer thinks he's the second coming, what a nob 

14 hours ago, swede said:

They're a favourite to headline Latitude as well, shocking stuff. 

Being a big band and being good are not mutually exclusive though, I like a few tunes off the first album but how they've got so big of the back of the latest album is beyond me, utter shite.

Plus the lead singer thinks he's the second coming, what a nob 

They'll be headlining Reading in 19 if a new album is out, unless Glastonbury offer too and they take that. None of the other suggested co-headliners or outright headliners would have sold the tour out the have. 

Enjoyed the latest 1975 album. Check out the title track, number 12. Excellent.

Anyhow, don't think they'll be at Glastonbury next year.

My likely want for Other headliner would be Justice. Not fussed in Bon Iver but he and The XX will play somewhere.

Phoenix as a sub.

Edited by fingers_mark

11 minutes ago, fingers_mark said:

Enjoyed the latest 1975 album. Check out the title track, number 12. Excellent.

Anyhow, don't think they'll be at Glastonbury next year.

My likely want for Other headliner would be Justice. Not fussed in Bon Iver but he and The XX will play somewhere.

Phoenix as a sub.

Halfway through the track now.  That's not fair, I was pretty sure I hated the 1975 before this.  Even more than Bastille... but it's really nice.

The middle section of that album, from Please Be Naked to the title track is really great. I like most of the big singles at the front and the end is a bit hit and miss (though still more hit) but that middle section is a real step above with a lot of variety on there. I wasn't much of a fan before this album but it's really changed my opinion on them, went to see them the other night too and they put in a great set. It was a brave move to release an album like the one they did but it's certainly worked for them.

36 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

The middle section of that album, from Please Be Naked to the title track is really great. I like most of the big singles at the front and the end is a bit hit and miss (though still more hit) but that middle section is a real step above with a lot of variety on there. I wasn't much of a fan before this album but it's really changed my opinion on them, went to see them the other night too and they put in a great set. It was a brave move to release an album like the one they did but it's certainly worked for them.

I do very much like The Sound and If I Believe You at either end of that but yeah, it is a fantastic run. At some of the instrumental bits I think that it could just as easily be Boards of Canada or Sigur Ros I'm listening to but no, it's a band topping the charts in both the US and UK. Quite extraordinary.

The only real misses for me are the two acoustic tracks on the end, which are nice and heartfelt but as he's a bit of a heavy-handed lyricist, it is a bit amateur-hour and drags the album to a close. And Love Me bites off Fame too much to respect as its own song.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I do very much like The Sound and If I Believe You at either end of that but yeah, it is a fantastic run. At some of the instrumental bits I think that it could just as easily be Boards of Canada or Sigur Ros I'm listening to but no, it's a band topping the charts in both the US and UK. Quite extraordinary.

The only real misses for me are the two acoustic tracks on the end, which are nice and heartfelt but as he's a bit of a heavy-handed lyricist, it is a bit amateur-hour and drags the album to a close. And Love Me bites off Fame too much to respect as its own song.

I agree on The Sound, only reason I left that out my post was that it's not unlike some of their more well known songs whereas most of the stuff in that middle section is different and more in line with acts well liked on here like the ones you mentioned, never really got into If I Believe You though. I agree on the acoustic tracks, could easily lose them and maybe This Must Be My Dream for an overall stronger album but hard to criticise their ambition with it too much. These posts have also made me realise I have no idea why I left the album out my top 10 in the other thread :lol: