Pilton Locals

Ohinever

Seen some nice properties in Pilton on rightmove recently, and resolved to move back to the West Country to bring my nipper up.

Got family living in Shepton so Pilton convenient.

What is it like to live there? Good community? Plusses and minuses?

And does living there add to or detract from your enjoyment of the festival?

ta,

mooro

1 minute ago, pilton digger said:

At work not reading efestivals honest. Will answer when i have time later. If you want to dm me feel free.

Splodge moved in last year so will have a good view for you. I will see him later in the pub and will mention this.

Thanks muchly!

Moved to Pilton last year, like you we have family living in Shepton. best move we made people are friendly and welcoming.  Really nice relaxed unstressful village will a proper village community.

went home every night from the festival I will admit it felt strange but it being a muddy year it made a big difference being able to have a hot shower and your own bed.

village has The Crown pub which gladly has reopened recently, new owners are finding there feet so would be rude to comment at the moment.  The working mans club is very welcoming and also has regular bands playing and of course you will get to see the emerging talent auditions and also the Pilton Party auditions.

good schools nearby (we have no children) we are told.

we go for a wander over Worthy farm when we want (except for when it's a no go area during the festival build) which is lovely.

the only minus is no local shop and bus service is every 2 hours Monday to Saturday with no evening busses, car is essential.  

Please feel free to message me if you need more information and I will gladly help.

sorry post a bit rushed but hope it makes sense 

25 minutes ago, Mr Splodge said:

Moved to Pilton last year, like you we have family living in Shepton. best move we made people are friendly and welcoming.  Really nice relaxed unstressful village will a proper village community.

went home every night from the festival I will admit it felt strange but it being a muddy year it made a big difference being able to have a hot shower and your own bed.

village has The Crown pub which gladly has reopened recently, new owners are finding there feet so would be rude to comment at the moment.  The working mans club is very welcoming and also has regular bands playing and of course you will get to see the emerging talent auditions and also the Pilton Party auditions.

good schools nearby (we have no children) we are told.

we go for a wander over Worthy farm when we want (except for when it's a no go area during the festival build) which is lovely.

the only minus is no local shop and bus service is every 2 hours Monday to Saturday with no evening busses, car is essential.  

Please feel free to message me if you need more information and I will gladly help.

sorry post a bit rushed but hope it makes sense 

Thank-you for that.

No shop is a bit of a downer. How far to the nearest if you run out of cider or wine?

22 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

Heading down that way (only to visit) in a few weeks. Could I take a walk to Worthy Farm? Would that be OK do you think (I'd call in and ask, of course)

Usually I'd say no problem but this year the take down is slow. Best check with the festival office to make sure it's open before you make the trip

43 minutes ago, Smeble said:

The road is pretty busy, main Shepton to M5 route, so don't buy anything on the main road itself

We live on the A361 in pilton. No problem with noise. 3foot thick walls help. Don't have to cross the road to reach the pub so have no problems with traffic. Life's good

Was about to say there used to be a shop, very small post office newsagents sort of shop. Shame it closed, it used to get very busy at certain times of the year but nowadays the village is cordoned off during the festival which probably helped it's closure.

Having said that surely now there's enough business in the months prior and post fest.

Edited by Cooter

A361 is busy but not a problem.

from May to July it is busier due to the festival infrastructure being moved in and out.  Trapped in the Tuesday Wednesday before the festival and Monday after, they are supposed to keep the side roads clear for local traffic but..........

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Usually I'd say no problem but this year the take down is slow. Best check with the festival office to make sure it's open before you make the trip

Thanks for the heads up. We're heading down to visit Glastonbury Town and to "climb" the Tor anwyay so plenty to keep us busy, if we can get on the farm too that would be a bonus for sure.

30 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Was about to say there used to be a shop, very small post office newsagents sort of shop. Shame it closed, it used to get very busy at certain times of the year but nowadays the village is cordoned off during the festival which probably helped it's closure.

Having said that surely now there's enough business in the months prior and post fest.

No tesco killed it when they opened in shepton. The shop and pub were paid by the festival to close.

We still have a post office

not sure what you mean "run out of cider". Is that a thing outside of Somerset? If you need supplies it is 3 minutes to Shepton. The village is on of the friendliest you will find. If there are specific houses on Rightmove you are interested in, we know one very well (opposite the pub) and run past most so have a reasonable knowledge of them.

I can't think of any real minus, the festival is part of the village routine and year round we have things leading up to it and supporting it. Traffic is there but don't take advice from people who haven't or don't live here regarding the village.

Use DM if you want specifics, We will help however we can.  You know it makes sense to get free tickets.....

3 hours ago, justperfect said:

I'm going to open a shop in Pilton 

This time next year Rodney. ........

I'm going to buy a house in Pilton and register 2000 EFesters against the address.....for a one-off £200 payment I'll offer them free tickets for evermore and clear my purchase costs.  Everyone's a winner.

3 hours ago, parsonjack said:

I'm going to buy a house in Pilton and register 2000 EFesters against the address.....for a one-off £200 payment I'll offer them free tickets for evermore and clear my purchase costs.  Everyone's a winner.

A crowd funder for sure! I'm in, just need a space for my CV too please.

17 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

No tesco killed it when they opened in shepton. The shop and pub were paid by the festival to close.

We still have a post office

The shop and the pub were paid by the festival to close? I dont understand, why would the festival do this? I'm off to mothers this afternoon to ask for my inheritance to open up a new shop 'Derby news and groceries' sounds like a winner ;-)