Conduct of security

Joshuwarr

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually have a pretty cool security story from this year.

So like so many others I had a pretty terrible time getting into the festival: Just over eleven hours in the car and a gruelling journey dragging my trolley through the mud to get to the gates etc etc...

Once I get to the gates a security guy calls me over and says that he wants to take a look in my bag. I plonk my bag on the table and he begins to open it. As soon as the bag opens we are both hit with a pretty strong smell of weed. I'm an idiot for not taking more care but I had a little bit of weed just chucked in my bag, not much but it was strong and it stunk.

The guy says "you got some weed in here mate?". "No" I reply. He looks over to another guy who I assume was his manager and says "come check this bag, I think there is weed in here".

I'm thinking to myself, oh fuck - after all I have been through today, this jobsworth is gonna take my weed.

The head security guy walks over and as he is walking he gives me a wink. He pretends to sniff in my bag for less than half a second, turns to the jobsworth and says "nope, there is definitely no weed in there". The jobsworth apologises and says "oh, I guess someone must have walked past with some or something". I say, "yeah, I guess so". I close my bag, walk off and think to myself, I fucking love Glastonbury - It's great to be back.

Edited by Henrik

25 minutes ago, 6t6o6m said:

I found the security to be very good, one gave me water at the front of m83, which I was thankful for.

I believe there are several different security firms. The ones you see at the front of stages on the barrier come from one firm and are all experienced in doing exactly that sort of work at gigs. The ones on the gates and wandering around etc pretty much just have whatever qualification it is bouncers have, which could explain the more relaxed attitude of those at the stages towards drugs.

8 minutes ago, Henrik said:

I actually have a pretty cool security story from this year.

So like so many others I had a pretty terrible time getting into the festival: Just over eleven hours in the car and a gruelling journey dragging my trolley through the mud to get to the gates etc etc...

Once I get to the gates a security guy calls me over and says that he wants to take a look in my bag. I plonk my bag on the table and he begins to open it. As soon as the bag opens we are both hit with a pretty strong smell of weed. I'm an idiot for not taking more care but I had a little bit of weed just chucked in my bag, not much but it was strong and it stunk.

The guy says "you got some weed in here mate?". "No" I reply. He looks over to another guy who I assume was his manager and says "come check this bag, I think there is weed in here".

I'm thinking to myself, oh fuck - after all I have been through today, this jobsworth is gonna take my weed.

The head security guy walks over and as he is walking he gives me a wink. He pretends to sniff in my bag for less than half a second, turns to the jobsworth and says "nope, there is definitely no weed in there". The jobsworth apologises and says "oh, I guess someone must have walked past with some or something". I say, "yeah, I guess so". I close my bag, walk off and think to myself, I fucking love Glastonbury - It's great to be back.

why didnt the first security guy check the bag himself?

I said this in another thread but... Saturday night at The Temple I had a spliff going in line. I walk in and we walk down to the middle. I begin putting it out I still had a lot left so was going to save it. A security guard standing near the exit on the stairs comes over and grabs it out of my hands and pulls me over and starts smelling it. He goes "Is this is a spliff?!" I am very taken back at first it was really well done and super believable. I tell him I have nothing on me and I had no idea it was a big deal at all. We go back and forth for a bit and eventually he starts trying to say the word "tax" but I couldn't understand him. It came out text and I was like "What are you talking about you want me to text you?" He yells "Tax!" I still didn't understand and this happened like 4 times. In hindsight it is so hilarious if I knew what was going on I wish I did it more for fun. Anyway during this long back and forth without hearing each other I start getting my wits about me. At first it was all happening so fast and now it was slowing down. I've been to more shows than I could ever count and I know at a festival like this there is NO way I'm getting thrown out for half of a spliff. It just won't happen, doesn't happen and then that is when I finally made out his word "Tax!". 

At this point I say something to the effect, "Are you kidding me?" I reach in my pocket and grab all the coins I had which was about 5 pounds and hold them out. "Mate I'll buy you a ffking pint that is not the problem."  As I do that he reaches his hand all sneakily kind of like he wouldn't want other security to see into the same pocket I took my coins out. To my amazement he pulls his hand back out and says, "Is that all you got?". I really don't want him in any of my other 3 pockets. Finally understanding the situation I proceed to explain to him these types of actions using power to manipulate another person's existence creates so much pain in the world and I can't believe he was trying to do that at Glastonbury. I start going into a tirade about of all places why would he enforce anything that wasn't hurting another person at Glastonbury, freedom, walls etc. My Mother would of been proud of my lecturing skills at this point (thanks Mom!). 

He pushes the coins back and hands me my spliff. Says, "Sorry mate you have to understand it is what us locals do to help get by. No hard feelings." 

I've read about shakedowns at other fests and never been part of one. The dude just wanted money or drugs. Was super surreal and I learned a whole lot for the future. 

Edited by NoBallGames

Been going to Glastonbury 25 years. This year (like every other year) they pull me over and search me. As it's the first day proper I have my ID with me to get accredited - I keep it in an old wallet I've been using for at least 25 years.

I'm late as it is, I'm supposed to be sorting out some passes for the eFestivals togs, but I know better than to moan about it. I have a cough so I've got cough sweets - security confiscates them, and has one there and then. He starts going through all my stuff in my pockets, and my bag, meticulously, it's taking an age, but I'm still not gonna tell him to hurry up - I've been down that route before. I've got a flagon of cider with me - he calls his mate over and they both 'taste it'.

Then he gets to my wallet, I only ever use it at festivals and it has tiny flakes of ancient solid in the bottom of it - he licks his finger and swipes it out and sticks it into my face. In his broken English he asks, "More?" I shake my head, he's persistent and eventually he finds a lump of hash (even I'd forgotten I had about the size of a small marble) and confiscates it holding it up to his mate before stowing it in his pocket, and winking at me.

That irritates the hell out of me but I let it slide, and in I go - a few hours later someone steals my baccy off the table I've left it on at Manic Organic completing my misery.

1 hour ago, KryziF said:

I believe there are several different security firms. The ones you see at the front of stages on the barrier come from one firm and are all experienced in doing exactly that sort of work at gigs. The ones on the gates and wandering around etc pretty much just have whatever qualification it is bouncers have, which could explain the more relaxed attitude of those at the stages towards drugs.

I reckon some  of the young lads wandering round in the blue vests are doing their community service at Glastonbury .

Edited by ivan

2 hours ago, miniand said:

If anyone actually deserves to be grassed on it's the pieces of shit security who tax punters to sell on their drugs for profit, scum of the fucking earth... And I hate grasses... 

If security ever try taking my stuff I insist the police are called, I'd rather go to court than give those c**ts my drugs :-) 

I done just this, the security guard searched the smallest pocket of my bumbag and found a few pills. 

Basically hand them over and go on or we'll get the police. 

I called his bluff and when he stuttered i said look im going to take half and so are you and i walked briskly on.

Paranoia set in i then proceded to make a beeline to the closest oxfam stall where i bought a new tshirt ( the ireland tops in my picture) 

looking back if it was a silly risk to take but it worked all the same. I doubt i would of had the balls sober though 

this was at electric picnic btw not glastonbury

I didn't have any problems with security this year (not that I have particularly in any previous year, especially with the company that does the stages, who are always excellent), but there were two of them working at the Park Home medical tent on the Saturday night who were particularly great.

The first was outside, asking people if they had anything on them that 'they shouldn't' as they made their way in. Guy in front of me froze when she asked that, clearly she'd caught him off guard. I thought he might be quite a bit of trouble but she ended up just kindly saying 'go back to your tent, and put it in there then come back, otherwise I'll have to take it off you'.

And then the guy inside, lovely Welsh guy, was showing the utmost patience with this guy who was sat next to me and absolutely off his nut on ket. Literally this boy couldn't walk, could hardly speak, kept wondering around the place, was blurting out random nonsense to everyone including the medical staff, and kept asking the guard for one of those card trays to be sick in, then just spitting in it and throwing it away. He was being a total nightmare, but this security guy who he kept harassing quite persistently just did the mature thing and communicated with him the bare minimum amount, mostly ignoring him.   

The security at Glastonbury (are all supposed to) have numbers on their hi-viz vests for a reason. If they are being dicks you can supposedly report them.

I was thoroughly turned over on the Friday at gate C. Once out of seven entries. After complimenting the young lady on her professionalism I learned that she runs her own security company. I'm guessing the festival puts out a contract/tender for this type of thing?

I guess the security at stages aren't interested in drugs? Its not what they're there for.

I've mentioned this in another thread but on of my mates got into a bit of a state on Friday, he wanted to go back to the caravan so another friend took him, they got searched on the way out of gate C, he obviously looked such a state that they decided to search him but it has never once crossed my mind to worry about going out only coming in.

Anyway, strangely the friend that was completely fine just had empty packets of substances, whereas the friend that was in a state had both Mr C and Mrs M on him, they found all of it, only took Mr C but let him keep Mrs M, they then proceeded to make the friend that was ok have their picture taken while at the same time putting the other friends stash and her empty packets in the amnesty box.

They didn't take any personal details and just said don't worry the pictures wont go anywhere. All very strange, it was almost as if they were just having a laugh.

Never had a problem myself...not been searched once in three years.

Just putting it out there that two security guards patrolling pink car park on Wednesday night were super helpful. Both helped carry people's bags to gate A and stopped to chat to me for a bit while my husband trudged half the stuff in (we were over ambitious and took too much in one trip). The guards offered to watch my things while I went to find a portaloo and kept spirits up chatting to others stranded like myself. One said 'were not meant to help carry people's things but so many are having a nightmare'. Sure enough, saw them a bit later on their way to gate A helping a couple of lads with their trolleys. Glastonbury spirit!

6 hours ago, M_Il said:

I got searched on my way out of the festival on the Sunday which was a new one on me. But they were polite and professional enough

:lol:

Got searched on the way in to be told we don't look like we take drugs (?!) Then proceeded to search our makeup for hidden things as they said this is common. Very friendly throughout though. Seems ridiculous what the topic poster experienced - seems over the top considering everyone is mashed and nobody really cares

I was very disturbed by the actions of an over-zealous mob of security thugs in Silver Hayes on Saturday night. Somebody either ketted up to the nines, or on a very bad trip, was being pinned face down in the mud by 5/6 security guards and surrounded by atleast another 6. Tried by best to remonstrate with them and/or convince them that the the poor fucker needed helping and not bullying. Was told politely to fuck off and that it had nothing to do with me as I was'nt with the lad in the mud! Took a photo of the mouthy guards number and reported accordlngly.

I hope the comedown was'nt too bad for the lad, and I hope the security guards involved get their karma and shit a cactus sometime soon

Other than that, no problems

7 hours ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

Yeah that's really strange. I've been four years and openly smoked spliffs in front of security at the Pyramid stage and West Holts and no one has looked twice. Sometimes it's been so relaxed I've offered to pass it on, but they always just smiled and refused politely. 

Perhaps they were taking the stance that you were littering and then someone got the wrong idea about why you were stopped and started talking about drugs or whatever. 

I hope you don't encounter it again, especially in a festival like Glasto. 

Maybe bad weather, shit days work, maybe some guys had already been cocky to them... who knows. I think it'll be an isolated incident if you ever returned :D

Stage security very different from walking around security/gate security though.

This year I thanked a steward for all his hard work and he asked if I was taking the piss, told him I genuinely meant it and he said lots of festival goers had behaved like total arseholes towards him and he was surprised to find someone being nice, suppose it is tough job and they become unsympathetic towards us but that's still no excuse for some of the behaviour reported in this thread. 
Charm x

Never had a problem with security at Glastonbury except trouble that I have stirred up myself for a bit of devilment on many occasions, though not for quite some time.

One of our favourites used to be back in the mid to late 90's when I used to be an all terrain unicyclist. One of our costumes was Gerald The Camel, a pantomime camel that rode two unis at once. . 

Late at night when Nico (uni partner) and I were Gillespied , we'd don the camel and go walkabout, on foot, not unis. We'd look for out of order security or bored coppers and start circling them from a distance in a sharkey/cameley kind of way. We'd get closer and closer then right up to the head honcho, at which point the rear end of the camel would start pelvic thrusting. We'd wait the see which security chap/copper looked to be the most disturbed by this then approach him front on. The camel's head would drop, zero in on the guy's crotch and then pretend to give him a blow job. Always got away with it as the crowd and the poor victim's colleagues would be almost wetting them selves with laughter. 

I've never had a bad experience with any of the security at Glastonbury.

I recall being in my tent one night and realising I had no more drugs left. I decided to put on my coat and go to the Stone Circle to see if I could buy any (the first time I have tried this approach). As I was walking along some bloke said from behind me 'look at the security bloke there'. In that instant I knew it was me they were talking about. The reason for this - I forgot that I was wearing a hi-viz coat on which I had attached the letters ' Insecurity' in hi-viz. Maybe he only saw a bit of the word security and put me down as to be watched. Maybe he got the lame humour. In anycase I didn't get to score any drugs - not suprising really given that dealers are going to steer well clear of Security.

Nothing but praise for the security staff at the Pyramid on Sunday

we were stood by the barrier separating the pit from the main area for Beck and Coldplay. Obviously it got more and more crowded and tempers started to get a bit frayed before Coldplay came on but the security staff dealt with the situation with great good humour.

As the crush got worse they had to lift dozens of people over the barrier from the pit - many of them were very upset but security were extremly caring and reassuring. As the crowd was so packed the people they lifted over were too frightened to leave the barrier area to walk back through the crowd to escape the crush so the security staff formed a human chain with one at the front and one at the back to force a way through to get them out.

All in all I thought that they did a great job always with a smile on there faces