is 75 too old to attend Glastonbury?

e_p

sprightly grandparents have surprised us by saying they want to go next year.  even if it is only investigating it, do you think they could manage it?  they wouldnt have a problem with the less savoury aspects, its more the logisitics and whether they would be welcome? they are music lovers, but you might not find them brocking out to Randall in the salon carousel.

i'm torn myself. they have a caravan - are their any options that could use that?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As long as they can get to from the campervans down the hill (if East) then go for it. It doesn;t matter how much they experience, they'll have an amazing time

We took a seriously ill friend 3 years ago, she didn't make it as far as the pyramid, but she made it every day to circus, caberet and even made it to the Park one evening with our help and she had the most amazing weekend

If they want to go, then go for it

absolutely they should go if they want to. Anyone that age if healthy in mind and body will tell you that inside they feel years younger and what could give them more a breath of fresh air than several days at Glastonbury? You KNOW they will get nothing but respect and nice gesures from those around them, they'd love it.  Tent wise, I would think seriously about maybe a Coleman Octagon tent that you can stand up in in the entire interior. I am only 51 but not fit and I find mine essential kit. Obviously weather will be a massive factor but being 75 they will have plenty of experience of bad weather in blighty.  ~I am going to keep going till I drop, its been part of my life since 1985 and cannot do without it... Peace x  

Edited by ya_concha

Explore all off site caravan/cottage options for them, that way they can take it or leave it as and when the decide.... As long as they can get a taxi home at 5am after a massive night at the spider then all will be well with the world 

Not necessarily applicable to your grandparents (although it may be, who knows?) but one of the best things I've ever seen at Glastonbury was a couple that looked like Old Father Time's parents, sat in deckchairs at the acoustic stage in the sunshine, enjoying a cup of tea and a particularly large joint.  And they looked as happy as I've seen anyone look.

Like anyone I think that if you / they adjust expectations and approach dependent on the weather, they'd have as good a time as anyone.  In fact probably better, as they'll probably get offered spaces to sit down.

So in conclusion, hell yes they should have a go.

56 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They would be welcome, but could find it challenging, especially on a muddy year like this one.  What's their mobility like?  Do you think they would be ok with the walk from the caravan parks in mud?

How did you get on Stuartbert?  Similar "experience" and all.

*ducks and runs for cover*

I'd say go for it with a caravan in CV East.  The problems for many people are the same: lugging all your gear in and getting a good night's sleep.  A caravan solves both of those problems.  I wouldn't do it any more if I couldn't take my caravan. And yes, take a camping chair.  Ideal to pause and watch the world go by and strike up conversations with randoms, provided you sit somewhere sensible.

It really depends on their level of fitness.  Stress that they'll be walking at least 10 miles a day - albeit in gentle bursts, not one long routemarch.

My mum went for the first time at 69 and I thought she would only want to do it once for the experience, but she went again at 70!

she even camped. Came and joined us by coach on Friday morning carrying just her own change of clothes and we did the rest.

She says that every year she is waiting for us to get a camper van so she can go again!

To be brutally honest the problem wasn't so much her age as her being on her own with us, which meant that what we did had to revolve around her. For example - we had to choose Coldplay over The Chemical Brothers! On her last night we went to see Beyoncé, and I was soon bored and would have left that set to see The Streets if we hadn't been with mum, but being with her, we had to pick and act and stick to it, because flying about wasn't an option. 

I needed a couple of years of getting my Glastonbury freedom back before I could take her again, but God willing I will!

It was amazing to share Glastonbury with my mum. She loved it so much!

If your grandparents go together, then they can totally take it at their own pace and choose what they want to see. Maybe just checking in with you occasionally in case there is anything you can make easier for them, or to spend some really special time together. 

They'll be more than fine!

Slipping in the mud would be the only reason not to risk it.
CV East - bottom of hill very tricky. Plus railway to Other pretty bad.
Only other issue would be mud around the loos - might need a bit of planning ahead!
Old folks falling over hard isn't good - so it is a serious issue to plan through.

If non-muddy, then can't see any reason not to - it'd be fab.