Rock Werchter 2017

Red Day

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personnaly, I enjoyed the crowd. Not the loudest in the world but very decent. For me, the best atmosphere was in the Klub C (Benjamin Clementine, Tash Sultana, J Bernardt) and in the Barn (Oscar and Wolf, Warhaus, Cage the elephant). And I don't understand the people who consider the crowd as dull in front of the Main Stage after the Linkin Park, SOAD, POR, Royal Blood, Dropkick Murphys and Imagine Dragons shows.   

22 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Debating Rock Wertcher next year as Glastonbury is off.  It looks to have great line ups.

When do tickets go on sale generally?

Rock Werchter will likely tickle your fancy in terms of providing many acts you'll want to see, ala Glastonbury, but don't expect anything else from it other than that. It's a very well organised, pricy commercial arena festival, but in terms of entertainment it's purely music and music alone. I enjoyed it this year because of the line up, and it helped soothe the Glastonbury blues, but would only consider if the line up was stellar for my tastes again as there is nothing else going on.

This isn't meant to be a criticism of the festival itself as it does what it does very well, but it's completely different to the diversity and atmosphere you get at Glastonbury.

19 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Rock Werchter will likely tickle your fancy in terms of providing many acts you'll want to see, ala Glastonbury, but don't expect anything else from it other than that. It's a very well organised, pricy commercial arena festival, but in terms of entertainment it's purely music and music alone. I enjoyed it this year because of the line up, and it helped soothe the Glastonbury blues, but would only consider if the line up was stellar for my tastes again as there is nothing else going on.

This isn't meant to be a criticism of the festival itself as it does what it does very well, but it's completely different to the diversity and atmosphere you get at Glastonbury.

My thoughts exactly.

Fabulous line-up, efficiently delivered. But you're in an arena spending tokens.

50 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I can't imagine anything coming close to Glastonbury. The line ups and the thought of a foreign festival appeal. Otherwise I am struggling to come up with anywhere else.

People say Sziget is the closest to Glastonbury in terms of variety of stuff other than music but still very far from it of course. Their lineups in recent years  are not my taste but maybe you'll like it Fuzz. 

7 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

People say Sziget is the closest to Glastonbury in terms of variety of stuff other than music but still very far from it of course. Their lineups in recent years  are not my taste but maybe you'll like it Fuzz. 

Sziget line up isn't really me tbh. NOS Alive could be another option.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I can't imagine anything coming close to Glastonbury. The line ups and the thought of a foreign festival appeal. Otherwise I am struggling to come up with anywhere else.

Lowlands has a lot of extra stuff to do as well. one of the better overseas festivals I have done. one to keep tabs on

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Sziget line up isn't really me tbh. NOS Alive could be another option.

Have you ever done a foreign festival Fuzzy? I've done NOS Alive and Rock Werchter (both mainly due in part to Arcade Fire and Radiohead playing with a fantastic rest of line up, Benicassim too but that's kind of a different beast to what you're looking for music-wise I imagine) and would recommend Alive over Werchter, though obviously depends on your taste and who is playing where! With Alive the main acts run from around 6pm - 4am, so you get the day to spend in the city if you so wish, then get a full programme of music still. Werchter is much better organised but to be perfectly honest, nationality of attendees aside you could be in any country in the world - it's just camping and an arena stuck in the middle of a field a few miles from Leuven. Alive was much cheaper also with a much better atmosphere in terms of crowds getting up for the sets, though like Werchter it is again only 3 stages, with the main outdoor stage and two tents/hangars. If you wanted to push the boat out you could stay in Lisbon so you can fully enjoy the city during the day, though the campsite isn't too shabby with a large swimming pool, showers with no real queues and plenty of booze available. I also enjoy how you can buy a (almost) pint of wine in the arena at NOS for something ridiculous like 7 Euros.

I've been tempted by Sziget in the past but recent line ups have put me off. Benicassim is worth keeping an eye on but the line ups differ greatly in quality from year to year IMO, whereas Alive and Werchter seem to put on a stellar line up each year.

55 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Have you ever done a foreign festival Fuzzy? I've done NOS Alive and Rock Werchter (both mainly due in part to Arcade Fire and Radiohead playing with a fantastic rest of line up, Benicassim too but that's kind of a different beast to what you're looking for music-wise I imagine) and would recommend Alive over Werchter, though obviously depends on your taste and who is playing where! With Alive the main acts run from around 6pm - 4am, so you get the day to spend in the city if you so wish, then get a full programme of music still. Werchter is much better organised but to be perfectly honest, nationality of attendees aside you could be in any country in the world - it's just camping and an arena stuck in the middle of a field a few miles from Leuven. Alive was much cheaper also with a much better atmosphere in terms of crowds getting up for the sets, though like Werchter it is again only 3 stages, with the main outdoor stage and two tents/hangars. If you wanted to push the boat out you could stay in Lisbon so you can fully enjoy the city during the day, though the campsite isn't too shabby with a large swimming pool, showers with no real queues and plenty of booze available. I also enjoy how you can buy a (almost) pint of wine in the arena at NOS for something ridiculous like 7 Euros.

I've been tempted by Sziget in the past but recent line ups have put me off. Benicassim is worth keeping an eye on but the line ups differ greatly in quality from year to year IMO, whereas Alive and Werchter seem to put on a stellar line up each year.

Some good info there. Thank you. The line ups for Wercher are what appealed. I can could imagine QOTSA, Metallica, Noel Gallagher and AN Other headlining. 

I do like the sound of NOS though. My mate is having a baby in December - his wife is happy for him to do a festival next summer, but only wants him away for 3/4 days rather than a week. With flying to Lisbon, that could be doable. I might have an extra day or so in Lisbon though. 

I am into techno as well and I have done awakenings festival in Amsterdam and Nature One in Germany. Awakenings isn't a camping festival, but Nature one was massive. A campsite that never slept. People with giant rigs blasting out tunes all night... a good friendly atmosphere, but mental. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, LMW91 said:

Chester Bennington. Fucking hell. RIP

Absolutely devastated. 

I never realised that Werchter 2017 could mean even more to me than it did at the time. 
I feel so grateful to have been given the chance to see the legend that thousands of others never will. 

• 5 weeks later...

I totally forgot to post after the festival lol. 

Disappointments: Blink 182... I left before they ended their set.

Personal best: Radiohead.

Organization: 4/5. I know it's a dutch festival but it was weird/annoying not seeing some things translated to English. Also not having lineup-merch sucked. I really wanted a tshirt with the lineup lol. Might come back next year depending on the lineup.