Rock Werchter 2017

Red Day

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, arcuse said:

Thing about Glastonbury is, this ain't even full line up yet :rolleyes: 

thing about your post is, this is werchter thread, not glasto thread, also they are complete different festival. Werchter has only around 70 names on it...

and about james blake subbing, they have tried something else, i did not came trough because of reasons...

yes, glasto has great names but a massive festival vs 70 names in a small country like ours :)

there is only one glasto and one werchter :)

and yes i am also dissapointed, but people nag without knowing everything,

making a line up is not that easy

2 hours ago, grumpykrogan said:

Thank you for the responses on the Glass Animals vs Blues Pills. I may end up choosing the tent because the atmosphere there tends to be better indeed. Which is why I may also end up seeing Benjamin Clementine rather than The Kills and Future Islands rather than Rateliff. 

As for Glasto, this is the first year I see the line-up and I am really jealous of not going. I really didn't want to moan about RW but so many cool acts could have been put in the tents on Saturday and early Friday that I can't help but be a bit jealous when I look at Roskilde and Glasto. 

Ah well.

An unrelated question that I hope won't stick out too much: has any person who has been to RW been to Primavera Sound? I'd like to give it a try next year maybe so I'm curious how it compares to RW. 

I have been to Primavera, but first year going to RW...I will get back to you at the start of July :)

Your average punter will always look at a festival lineup they are attending more positively. Hey I'm still trying to be positive at the sziget lineup, the headliners there are pure shite...

Comparing Glastonbury to werchter is chalk and cheese, saying that there's only really a handful of acts I would like from the Glastonbury lineup at wrecker or elsewhere.

Edited by thetime

The undercard is what we're really complaining about here and Glasto duly murders RW in that department. Light years ahead in terms of quality. Headliners are important but I'd prefer to have a bit more depth throughout. 

5 hours ago, t-roe79 said:

I like The XX and they are headlining Lollapalooza which I have tickets to (but not sure if I'm going yet). But to me they are a lame headliner. I like my headliners to rock, hence why I'm going to Rock Werchter. I'll also be seeing The XX in a sold out club in about a month which is probably a better setting. The National is a snoozer that I don't care for anymore. I don't know much about Biffy, and Solange, RTJ, Katy Perry, and Ed Sheeran are all big names at Glastonbury that do absolutely nothing for me. Ride is the band I'd most want to see that isn't on the RW lineup. I'll miss out on Ride, The Avalanches, Moonlandingz, Temples (seen them like 4 times already though), Phoenix, and LIttle Dragon, and I can see a lot of those if I go to Lollapalooza. RW has some good acts that Glastonbury doesn't have like: Arcade Fire, KOL, POR, Savages, Cigarettes After Sex, The Pretenders, SOAD, Bonobo, Soulwax, Thurston Moore, and Dropkick Murphys. I'd say overall they are fairly similar for me. I like RW's healiners more with the exception of Linken Park but I can go see Above and Beyond for most of Saturday night.        

Glasto only had AF in 2014 though, KOL died, they have SOAD...the big difference maker, Savages and The Pretenders could be there, Bonobo is there just not announced yet and Dropkicks could be.

17 minutes ago, gunther Mickey said:

Glasto has a great line up but the following sequences are terrific for me : POR/Imagine Dragons/Arcade fire/Kings of Leon and Blink 182/SOAD/Linkin Park (Hybrid Theory and Meteora) on the same stage. Sohn, Kaleo, Benjamin Clementine and Cage the elephant are very interesting too.

There is nothing about two double album show for LP?

1 hour ago, Tremousse said:

RUN DMC just announced at Tinderbox... That's an act I'd like to have on Sunday during Alt-J

Seriously Alt-j are incredible and the new album enthusiasms me a lot. But obviously I continue to consider this band way better in a tent like James Blake, The Kills or The Lumineers... 

Edited by gunther Mickey

The real problem this year is the popularity of the Barn Headliner (only Thursday is really great with Lorde/Chainsmocker but no dance act is really shameful) : Seriously I like Radiohead but 2h30 is way too long and there is no alternative in front of them (Oscar and the Wolf finish when Radiohead begins his set... Bad timing) and it's the same with Foo Fighters. Tourist leMC it's just a joke actually.

Edited by gunther Mickey

28 minutes ago, gunther Mickey said:

Seriously Alt-j are incredible and the new album enthusiasms me a lot. But obviously I continue to consider this band way better in a tent like James Blake, The Kills or The Lumineers... 

I keep Alt-J for NOS Alive ;)

This is my first time coming to the festival and am just wondering if in the past there have been artists who bring out other artists from other bands playing at the festival for a jam/special performance of a song together?  Having so many top musicians in one place you would think that this might happen...or not likely?  (Thursday with AF, KOL, and ID would have been great for them to come out for Wake Up with AF to close out the day...but no, we will finish with Sex On Fire undoubtedly).

Just now, Hammerfest said:

This is my first time coming to the festival and am just wondering if in the past there have been artists who bring out other artists from other bands playing at the festival for a jam/special performance of a song together?  Having so many top musicians in one place you would think that this might happen...or not likely?  (Thursday with AF, KOL, and ID would have been great for them to come out for Wake Up with AF to close out the day...but no, we will finish with Sex On Fire undoubtedly).

Yes it sometimes happens ! Last year Chad Smith played a song with Glen Hansard. In 2014 Pearl Jam invited Midlake... It happens but it's rare. The Chainsmokers could invite Lorde for exemple

45 minutes ago, Hammerfest said:

Maybe the guitarist of SOAD with the Linkin park song "Rebellion"

How likely is it that the timetable will change do we think? The only way that RW can add any further acts that I would be interested in is to change the timetable, as the only major slot that seems available is during Radiohead's set and I will definitely be seeing them so this wouldn't affect me. 

They may be able to make space for new acts on the main stage (for example, early on Friday), but this would probably mean pushing Kaleo a bit later (even by just 10 mins). It seems strange that they would release the timetable last week and tell us to "get planning", but then make changes to it.

Am hoping that the last couple of acts released will improve the undercard, but struggling to see where they can actually put them based on the current timetable.  

5 minutes ago, Sbrady said:

How likely is it that the timetable will change do we think? The only way that RW can add any further acts that I would be interested in is to change the timetable, as the only major slot that seems available is during Radiohead's set and I will definitely be seeing them so this wouldn't affect me. 

They may be able to make space for new acts on the main stage (for example, early on Friday), but this would probably mean pushing Kaleo a bit later (even by just 10 mins). It seems strange that they would release the timetable last week and tell us to "get planning", but then make changes to it.

Am hoping that the last couple of acts released will improve the undercard, but struggling to see where they can actually put them based on the current timetable.  

I wouldn't expect any major changes in the timetable. Maybe in case of cancellations, but not by the organization itself. Thursday and Saturday are complete, so nothing to add there (sorry @ThePushover, that rules out Biffy). Only slots certain to be added are the KlubC headliner on Friday, during Radiohead and a KlubC 'sub' on Sunday. If we're lucky, maybe they'll squeeze in a main stage opener on Friday, but since the disappointing timetable up to now, I'm not counting on that one either.

Let's hope for a GOOD announcement ! At least an artist who puts the crowd in fire... Many cheap artists can do that... De Staat ... Frank Turner ... Not a quiet thing please (I don't aim at any band :P ) (I don't aim at any band playing a high spot on Friday :P )