Rock Werchter 2017

Red Day

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Red Day said:

Glastonbury line up isn't bad. The National playing. Such a pity they're not coming to RW week later. 

They are not too expensive and they would have been fantastic subs to Radiohead or Foo Fighters... Their (not so) new songs are something... 

3 minutes ago, ThePushover said:

I'm doing both Glasto and RW, and I'm over the moon with both line ups. This is only a miniscule fraction of Glasto's line up. Between the both of them I'm going to have an amazing few weeks and it takes pressure off some inevitable clashes at both

One very lucky person. 

1 hour ago, Red Day said:

Glastonbury line up isn't bad. The National playing. Such a pity they're not coming to RW week later. 

Agreed. By far the act whose missing the most from Glastonbury first poster, especially when seeing the subs this year. They would have been perfect playing before Radiohead or even before the Foo Fighters. 

Probably next year in a co-headline structure (we probably said exactly this last year though). 

11 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

To be honest, the Rock Werchter line up might actually be a bit better overall. :-)

Really? For me Glasto is head and shoulders above RW. Only important name missing to my taste is Arcade Fire, but there's so much more there that RW doesn't have, what I would really want to see (The National, The XX, The Jacksons, Solange, Anderson .Paak, Sampha, Goldfrapp, Justice, Moderat, FJM, London Grammar, Angel Olsen, Laura Marling and... let's face it... who wouldn't want to see Katy Perry in real life? ;-))

24 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

Really? For me Glasto is head and shoulders above RW. Only important name missing to my taste is Arcade Fire, but there's so much more there that RW doesn't have, what I would really want to see (The National, The XX, The Jacksons, Solange, Anderson .Paak, Sampha, Goldfrapp, Justice, Moderat, FJM, London Grammar, Angel Olsen, Laura Marling and... let's face it... who wouldn't want to see Katy Perry in real life? ;-))

Line-ups are equivalent in my opinion. I prefer the bill of Rock Werchter, but I'm jealous of The National on the bill, and some of my fav bands are on Werchter's line-up (Kaleo, Rateliff, Whitney, Dropkick...) but on the other hand, so many names will come in addition to this bill...

I wanted to do like you  @ThePushover but I failed at first sales (we were 4 to try..), so I booked RW + NOS instead cause I couldn't take the risk of failing again..

Anyway, I think that RW and Glastonbury are clearly above other European festivals in terms of line-up, and easily in the world top 10.

2 hours ago, McCallion said:

Are we sure theres no spot for left for Biffy. Seems bizarre they're not doing Werchter when they're doing the circuit

100% no. 
Both Thursday and Saturday lineups are full - as announced by Werchter which are the only two days they could play.

Friday they're in France at Main Square and Sunday they're at OpenAir St Gallen in Switzerland (both headlining) so there's no real physical way they could be doing two festivals in one day (especially as they'd be so far away).

As a lot of people have said, they may not be that popular in Belgium so were not a "priority booking". Massive shame but we can hold out hope for next year.

Not too upset to be missing Glastonbury after seeing the first lineup announcement. I usually go but am missing it this year. There are about 5 or 6 acts I'm gutted to miss but I never went for the lineup anyway - there are so many more unique experiences you don't get anywhere else. 

After creating my own playlist of people I'm looking forward to at Werchter - I'm so much more positive than last week. Can't wait :D

3 minutes ago, thetechi said:

100% no. 
Both Thursday and Saturday lineups are full - as announced by Werchter which are the only two days they could play.

Friday they're in France at Main Square and Sunday they're at OpenAir St Gallen in Switzerland (both headlining) so there's no real physical way they could be doing two festivals in one day (especially as they'd be so far away).

As a lot of people have said, they may not be that popular in Belgium so were not a "priority booking". Massive shame but we can hold out hope for next year.

Not too upset to be missing Glastonbury after seeing the first lineup announcement. I usually go but am missing it this year. There are about 5 or 6 acts I'm gutted to miss but I never went for the lineup anyway - there are so many more unique experiences you don't get anywhere else. 

After creating my own playlist of people I'm looking forward to at Werchter - I'm so much more positive than last week. Can't wait :D

So bizarre that they're not playing anywhere in Belgium. Ahh well.

2 hours ago, visdave34 said:

The Glastonbury poster doesn't say much. Sure its contains many big names and quality acts but the number of stages and the distance between them making that big poster irrelevant. theoretically, most of the acts you mentioned might clash or play short time apart from each other and with the distance between them you would watch only two of them at the end. Have a look at a (very small) part of last year Sunday attached here.

Screenshot_2017-03-30-14-15-15.png

Edited by e2p2

4 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

The Glastonbury poster doesn't say much. Sure its contains many big names and quality acts but the number of stages and the distance between them making that big poster irrelevant. theoretically, most of the acts you mentioned might clash or play short time apart from each other and with the distance between them you would watch only two of them at the end. Have a look at a (very small) part of last year Sunday attached here.

Screenshot_2017-03-30-14-15-15.png

Oh, don't get me wrong: I definitely realise this. Going to Glasto would be one big clash-fest for me, absolutely killing.

It's just disappointing to see so many interesting names for me on that bill that would normally fit RW perfectly. A year of missed opportunities and/or disappointing booking decisions as far as I'm concerned. The undercard that is, of course. RW's headliners are top notch (even though SOAD and LP not really being my cup of tea).

2 hours ago, ThePushover said:

I'm doing both Glasto and RW, and I'm over the moon with both line ups. This is only a miniscule fraction of Glasto's line up. Between the both of them I'm going to have an amazing few weeks and it takes pressure off some inevitable clashes at both

I'm in the same boat, get back from Glastonbury on the Monday, flying to Brussels on the Wednesday. That will certainly be one unproductive Tuesday! 

I was worried RW would just end up being a smaller scale Glastonbury, but the acts they do share Lorde, Royal Blood, Alt-J are going to make potential clashes at both more bearable!

Glasto has one band, Biffy Clyro, that RW doesn't have and I'd go and see...maybe Ed Sheeran but I can't say that I'm really a fan. I'm so glad we don't have acts like The xx or The National. In 2013 I saw The National in Milano and half the people were gone half way through their set, it was that bad. I stayed a little longer but left before they finished. I'd put The xx (RW 2012) and The National (Milano 2012, RW 2012) as one of the worst acts I've ever seen. 

Having said that, I would understand if one of them were to sub Radiohead. I wouldn't like it, but I could understand it. But I guess we don't have to worry about that now.....

So for me, RW are head and shoulders above Glasto.....

IMG_3516.JPG.2a2b3dc5ad20455ebe6848a9bb5ae642.JPG

I think the Glasto line up has a stronger undercard, but as mentioned a lot of these would clash. As we have said all along, i feel like the RW line up is missing a sub for Radiohead and a booking like The XX or Phoenix for me would have been perfect.

I think the greater shame isn't in the undercard or subs though, which are never going to suit everybodies taste (for me i have plently of bands to see) but it is in the fact that there are some very good dance acts around, like Justice, The Prodigy, Major Lazer, Deadmau, chase and status etc etc who are all out at festivals during the summer, yet RW failed ot land anybody for main stage closing acts.

I think the Greatest shame is that we havent got Shaggy but Glasto do!

I mean just to put this in perspective.. We have James Blake subbing Radiohead and y'all moan about The National or The xx or that the fest is being "to stacked" come on now. Rock Werchter is a total different fest with 3 stages where you see rather mainstream big bands playing across 4 days. I'm with @visdave34. Just look at the line ups of Glastonbury, Mad Cool, Nos Alive or Roskilde and you tell me Rock Werchter did a great job on their undercard.

Comparing Pukkelpop with Glastonbury even seems more logical with their idk 10 stages than Rock Werchter tho :P 

4 hours ago, Red Day said:

IMG_3516.JPG

3 hours ago, neacaisa said:

To be honest, the Rock Werchter line up might actually be a bit better overall. :-)

It shits on it tbh, RW has SOAD and tbh that is it when you consider what Glasto still have to announce end of May. It has variety and tbh RW is way too much of we'll just book the big toppers that we've always had because it's easier. The likes of KOL are boring bookings now and are overdone and past. I imagine Biffy Katy are subs and that's huge, on top of a worldwide fest exclusive and a UK one.

Thank you for the responses on the Glass Animals vs Blues Pills. I may end up choosing the tent because the atmosphere there tends to be better indeed. Which is why I may also end up seeing Benjamin Clementine rather than The Kills and Future Islands rather than Rateliff. 

As for Glasto, this is the first year I see the line-up and I am really jealous of not going. I really didn't want to moan about RW but so many cool acts could have been put in the tents on Saturday and early Friday that I can't help but be a bit jealous when I look at Roskilde and Glasto. 

Ah well.

An unrelated question that I hope won't stick out too much: has any person who has been to RW been to Primavera Sound? I'd like to give it a try next year maybe so I'm curious how it compares to RW. 

6 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It shits on it tbh, RW has SOAD and tbh that is it when you consider what Glasto still have to announce end of May. It has variety and tbh RW is way too much of we'll just book the big toppers that we've always had because it's easier. The likes of KOL are boring bookings now and are overdone and past. I imagine Biffy Katy are subs and that's huge, on top of a worldwide fest exclusive and a UK one.

you dont know what they tried (bookers of werchter)

look at headliners werchter: all headliners are Belgian exclusive and most of them are not on glasto) 

biffy cant sell a 2000 people venue here so 

katy cant sing for shit, saw here in 2009 on werchter and was crap.

making festival line ups is not easy at all if you know what fell trough (not only this year, but every year), 

at least they tried to make something of it.

but yes glasto is better (but not comparable)

If kings of leon, soad, lp or arcade fire are overdone and past and katy perry is actual and interesting for you guys, I think we just have different taste.

I'm just glad we dodged some overrated pop act, the only one I think I would be bothered to see would have been gaga( I actually like her). Sheeran or perry don't appeal to me at all.

Yeah, the undercard is more diverse and all and there are definitely 7 or 8 acts I would have been happy with on RW, but the same thing applies  the other way around and because of the schedule, you wouldn't be able to see them all anyway. The difference is made by the big names for me.

4 minutes ago, reaper said:

you dont know what they tried (bookers of werchter)

look at headliners werchter: all headliners are Belgian exclusive and most of them are not on glasto) 

biffy cant sell a 2000 people venue here so 

katy cant sing for shit, saw here in 2009 on werchter and was crap.

making festival line ups is not easy at all if you know what fell trough (not only this year, but every year), 

at least they tried to make something of it.

but yes glasto is better (but not comparable)

They generally are Belgian Exclusives though, the fact that Glasto doesn't care what others take but Katy, FF and Sheeran are still all UK. Katy might be at Big Weekend but that's just free bbc radio stuff.

1 minute ago, neacaisa said:

If kings of leon, soad, lp or arcade fire are overdone and past and katy perry is actual and interesting for you guys, I think we just have different taste.

I'm just glad we dodged some overrated pop act, the only one I think I would be bothered to see would have been gaga( I actually like her). Sheeran or perry don't appeal to me at all.

Yeah, the undercard is more diverse and all and there are definitely 7 or 8 acts I would have been happy with on RW, but the same thing applies  the other way around and because of the schedule, you wouldn't be able to see them all anyway. The difference is made by the big names for me.

What do you mean if?, KOL had a residency basically at RW lol, SOAD aren't or LP (but they are gone now).

I like The XX and they are headlining Lollapalooza which I have tickets to (but not sure if I'm going yet). But to me they are a lame headliner. I like my headliners to rock, hence why I'm going to Rock Werchter. I'll also be seeing The XX in a sold out club in about a month which is probably a better setting. The National is a snoozer that I don't care for anymore. I don't know much about Biffy, and Solange, RTJ, Katy Perry, and Ed Sheeran are all big names at Glastonbury that do absolutely nothing for me. Ride is the band I'd most want to see that isn't on the RW lineup. I'll miss out on Ride, The Avalanches, Moonlandingz, Temples (seen them like 4 times already though), Phoenix, and LIttle Dragon, and I can see a lot of those if I go to Lollapalooza. RW has some good acts that Glastonbury doesn't have like: Arcade Fire, KOL, POR, Savages, Cigarettes After Sex, The Pretenders, SOAD, Bonobo, Soulwax, Thurston Moore, and Dropkick Murphys. I'd say overall they are fairly similar for me. I like RW's healiners more with the exception of Linken Park but I can go see Above and Beyond for most of Saturday night.