Rock Werchter 2017

Red Day

Am I the only one mad about Cage the elephant having a 45min set? lol

I know I'll be very tired on Sunday, hopefully I still have energy for the Foo fighters. I'm seeing them in Paris on Monday again anyway.

Looks like I'll spend most of the time on the Main Stage, I'm just sad I'll miss Future Islands on Friday, but I want to be in the front for my first Radiohead gig.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, branvan said:

could the remaining Klub C Head on Friday be: The 1975 ?

looking at their tour dates and their popularity and no other Belgian dates, it seems logical to me...

No. Much too big and expensive an act to play during Radiohead. You should really think smaller and probably a dance act. Sth in the likes of Fritz Kalkbrenner or maybe 2manydjs or The Avalanches if you're lucky. 

1 hour ago, Skankhunt42 said:

I have literally full days of hands I want to see, the undercard isn't filled with big names but at least it is still good quality... still best fest lineup going 

Which is the issue with rock werchter this year, maybe this is the direction it's going. Werchter pretty much branded itself on getting the biggest mainstream bands in various genres. If you wanted 'lesser' known bands through the lineup then pukkelpop catered for that as they didn't have the financial muscle of werchter.

in defence of werchter though it's sold out of combis, so they have done there job. Be interesting how they do it when the big hitting headliners are not available early summer.

16 hours ago, Apocalyptica said:

5 minutes it is Haha. 

I have to choose the chainsmokers over Arcade fire because of my other friends :(

No you don't, a non dance act is easy to go and see on your own, not so easy the other way.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Which is the issue with rock werchter this year, maybe this is the direction it's going. Werchter pretty much branded itself on getting the biggest mainstream bands in various genres. If you wanted 'lesser' known bands through the lineup then pukkelpop catered for that as they didn't have the financial muscle of werchter.

in defence of werchter though it's sold out of combis, so they have done there job. Be interesting how they do it when the big hitting headliners are not available early summer.

Funny how you say this though, R&L sold out so done their 'job', but it was still the worst thing I've seen in years there, 2015 addition smashed it to pieces and that is even by taking the main headliners out of the equation. The issue here is that by feeding a group of headliners that probably cover someone's money for the fest cost early on, the fest only has to give enough to sell and booking isn't as cheap etc as it was a few years ago. I admit comparing Werchter to Reading is two different crowds most likely but you get the gist.

2 hours ago, thetime said:

Thats a very good point and I think that's what I've been battling myself over .... I pick rw for the volume of big names and prestige and now find myself delving into discography's of bands that I wouldn't have given a second thought when I saw their new album out. I thimk we all need to develop our minds with regards genre of music and thid has given even the most conservative festival goers who bought their ticket early on to have to do.

Will probably work out well and I knw for one I won't just look at a lineup in future and base attending on who i know!

Personally, the issue for me is less that I have to discover new bands and more that I already know a lot of them and they aren't particularly good. Saturday is particularly egregious: Jimmy Eat World, Kodaline, Milky Chance, Passenger, Blink 182 and Linkin Park are all bands I know well and don't like.

Which in itself is fine (the festival isn't built to accomodate one person's taste after all). It's just that none of those bands are exactly overburdened by critical acclaim, so you'd imagine quite a few people will find little to enjoy there. At which point you wonder why they lined it up in that way. I mean a choice between past-it early 00's alt and mainstream faux-indie ain't a particularly appeasing mix.

I would love if I was being forced out of my comfort zone by bands I don't know. Unfortunately the bands available provide the musical equivalent of a comfort zone.

11 hours ago, rafaleon said:

so, since u brought it up, how soon u gotta be there to be in the front row, say, when radiohead is playing?

Yeah, it's also one of my concerns, I will potentially drop a lot of acts on the secondary stages because of this.

I feel like the main reason everyone is disappointed is the barn. Main stage and even klub c as a third stage are good most of the time, but I feel like the barn will be deserted on a lot of occasions and especially on Saturday. Lorde + Chainsmokers is the only solid combo there.

ALl in all, even if james blake as a sub and the lumineers as third down can be disappointing, main stage does it good most of the time, 9/10.

Edited by neacaisa

12 hours ago, rafaleon said:

so, since u brought it up, how soon u gotta be there to be in the front row, say, when radiohead is playing?

That's a good question. Does anyone know at what time they open the doors? I'm not sure how dedicated are people camping in Rock Werchter. I know some friends were at 7am for Glastonbury, even though they opened the doors around noon. Then there's the run to the stage because of course you're not the only crazy one trying to be in front.

1 hour ago, neacaisa said:

Yeah, it's also one of my concerns, I will potentially drop a lot of acts on the secondary stages because of this.

I feel like the main reason everyone is disappointed is the barn. Main stage and even klub c as a third stage are good most of the time, but I feel like the barn will be deserted on a lot of occasions and especially on Saturday. Lorde + Chainsmokers is the only solid combo there.

ALl in all, even if james blake as a sub and the lumineers as third down can be disappointing, main stage does it good most of the time, 9/10.

For saturday, it's clearly not my point of view. I like SOAD and LP (meteora and Hybrid Theory only) but the rest is clearly not my thing. If there were Sum 41, Billy Talent and The Hives under these two headliners, it would be way better than the real addition. J Bernardt -Glass Animals - Sohn- Milky Chance - SOAD - LP (and Bonobo if they play their disgusting new songs). The worst day clashes it's clearly sunday with nothing but thieves/cage the elephant + The kills/benjamin clementine + The lumineers/rag'n'bone man + Alt j/Soulwax. The real disapointement for me it's the weakness of the barn and klub c headliners : tourist le mc (!), g-eazy, bonobo (!), above and beyond, mura masa (!). And Where is the dance act of thursday? The chainsmockers until 23h, I don't understand...

41 minutes ago, kevagain said:

That's a good question. Does anyone know at what time they open the doors? I'm not sure how dedicated are people camping in Rock Werchter. I know some friends were at 7am for Glastonbury, even though they opened the doors around noon. Then there's the run to the stage because of course you're not the only crazy one trying to be in front.

You'll probably have to go in the queue to get in the front at a headliner when the band before starts playing...

Just speaking out of xp ... when prodigy were on we just literally walked through the crowdminutes before they going on and went into the front compartment... same with the day it was script kasabian muse ... its not like eng festys where everyone is battling each other for space ... everyoe is more aware and polite! I guess this may be different on foos and rh day but once you leave the front you have t exit via the side of the stage so it's great as they only allow a certain amount of people in 

6 minutes ago, BlockRockinBeats said:

Didn't anyone else see the story that Radiohead are going to play a heavy OK computer set at Glastonbury to celebrate 20th anniversary. Wonder if we can expect and OK weighted set?

Imagine AMSP set 1h - OK Computer set 1h - classic set w all their most well known track as encore for the last 30 min :o 

Here's how my fest is shaping up.

Thurs

Mark Lanegan - Prophets of Rage - Lorde/Imagine Dragons - Arcade Fire - KOL

Friday

Kaleo - Rateliff - Birdy - Royal Blood - The Pretenders - Radiohead

Saturday

Frank Carter - Blues Pills - Seasick Steve - Kodaline - Blink 182 - SOD - Linkin Park

Sunday

Nothing But Thieves - Dropkick Murphys - The Kills - probably the Lumineers - Soulwax/AltJ - Foo Fighters 

For €50 ish a day that's pretty fucking good. 

1 hour ago, Gossard said:

Actually, I wouldn't mind if they'd only play songs from The Bends and OK Computer ;)

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

Or In Rainbows in full. :o 

+1 for both of ya since someone found you said smt offensive smh. You've to be honest aswell when you look at how RH started and how their sound is right now, calling it a rock band isn't just what it is anymore, ya know. OK Computer is a full rock album with some slower song but listen to AMSP and you get a whole other vibe, also TKOL is experimental you can't call it rock, or am I wrong w this? Don't understand the minusing all the time here tho.. 

Anyways, the one with Creep is Pablo Honey tho haha. :P And honestly looking forth to their performance, their set at Lolla Berlin blew me away and made me love them even more :')

11 minutes ago, Apocalyptica said:

So I'm planning to come to the festival on 28th. Will there be some party going on that night? I mean I read there's an afterparty in hive every day. Same case on 28th? 

Yep, on the 28th there'll be a party on the Hive as a sort of welcome and then on all the other days, the parties are still their but go on after the festival hours so from 1ish till 4 I reckon. I mean that's how I remember it from last year.