Rock Werchter 2017

Red Day

3 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Hoping for The Avalanches, and reckon it's entirely possible. At Glastonbury the week before and announced their first European festival yesterday, so their announcement may have been held back especially. Won't be too disappointed if they're not there as will see them the weekend before, however they're one of my favourite acts and I've yet to see them live yet.

Reckon this last announcement will be much the same as the previous, may get 1 or 2 bigger names for the Friday to help it sell out mind. Really wouldn't mind something a bit left field though, perhaps someone like Sigur Ros or similar? Not sure when they last played or if they're free that weekend, but someone like that who is a bit more of a rarity as opposed to the same bands touring year on year. Sigur Ros -> Radiohead would be an amazing way to spend my birthday. 

I think we have enough of brainless poppy acts so I hope The Avalanches stay as far away as possible. Sigur Rós is not my type of music, even if I'm Icelandic, but I see where you're going with that.

In my opinion we still need a proper sub on main stage on both Friday and Sunday....Alt-j / James Blake / Oscar and the Wolf would all be a huge disappointment for me personally if any of them would sub. My guess is though that Alt-J will sub, the only chance is to get a proper size band to sub is on the Friday.....

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Gossard said:

In my opinion we still need a proper sub on main stage on both Friday and Sunday....Alt-j / James Blake / Oscar and the Wolf would all be a huge disappointment for me personally if any of them would sub. My guess is though that Alt-J will sub, the only chance is to get a proper size band to sub is on the Friday.....

Agree with the sentiment. All 3 would be a disappointment to me. Realistically, I think Alt-J and James Blake will be subbing but they're definitely more like Barn acts in my eyes.

I still think the chances of Kasabian as a new sub are high enough 

I see the sad little fucker who has been giving me -rep is still going strong. From 115 to 83 in a few days. Did your mama not hold you enough or maybe to much? I'd seek professional help if I was you, your life must be a total meaningless mess if this is your way to have fun. Do you wan't me to point out a good psychiatrist for you? You desperately need one......

23 minutes ago, Gossard said:

I think we have enough of brainless poppy acts so I hope The Avalanches stay as far away as possible.

The Avalanches are brilliant, surely not rock/alt-rock/shoegaze etc etc but absolutely a solid band.

Obviously tastes are tastes but they're not a brainless poppy act. :) 

Edit: even if you don't like The Avalanches I'm not the little fucker who downvote you :):):) 

Edited by alan_ts

9 minutes ago, Gossard said:

I see the sad little fucker who has been giving me -rep is still going strong. From 115 to 83 in a few days. Did your mama not hold you enough or maybe to much? I'd seek professional help if I was you, your life must be a total meaningless mess if this is your way to have fun. Do you wan't me to point out a good psychiatrist for you? You desperately need one......

#EverybodyUpvoteGossard

Just now, ThePushover said:

Probably me reading too much into it but the whole sleepy thing last week they were on about before the announcement might mean that this week we potentially get someone heavy? 

No, it just happened to be international sleep day and they made a post about it.

But I do think there will be at least one important name announced today. :-)

6 minutes ago, Gossard said:

I see the sad little fucker who has been giving me -rep is still going strong. From 115 to 83 in a few days. 

Sending you all the + rep Gossard. I know exactly how you feel - mine dropped dramatically too. 

I reckon Alt-J are subbing main which will be a big shame. Despite being a reasonably big fan of Alt - J. In my opinion there would be few worst bands to pair them with Foo Fighters. You need an up-tempo band to build the hype before the Foos. 

Yeah, Kasabian is likely. They're playing at several other festivals around RW and would fit very well before RH.

Despite saying how much I would do anything for Biffy, if they're going to be announced at all, I now fear they'd headline the barn (despite everyone saying they're not big enough in Belgium) so I would worry they'd clash with SOAD and LP.

Let's wait and see!

3 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

No, it just happened to be international sleep day and they made a post about it.

But I do think there will be at least one important name announced today. :-)

Like I said, I was definitely reading too much into it. But one can always hope. 

8 minutes ago, thetechi said:

Despite saying how much I would do anything for Biffy, if they're going to be announced at all, I now fear they'd headline the barn (despite everyone saying they're not big enough in Belgium) so I would worry they'd clash with SOAD and LP.

Let's wait and see!

This will suck - it will be the worst scenario and because of their lack of popularity, they won't draw the crowds either. Someone completely different (A Tribe called quest or an electronic act or something like Brian Wilson) would make the most sense on that spot.

I'm very interested on who will be against Alt-J, don't really care if it will be a sub or a Barn headliner, I just want an interesting act to make me choose, cause from the big names that were announced last year, Alt-J is the one I'm the least interested in.

Edited by neacaisa

5 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

This will suck - it will be the worst scenario and because of their lack of popularity, they won't draw the crowds either. Someone completely different (A Tribe called quest or an electronic act or something like Brian Wilson) would make the most sense on that spot)

I'm very interested on who will be against Alt-J, don't really care if it will be a sub or a Barn headliner, I just want an interesting act to make me choose, cause from the big names that were announced last year, Alt-J is the one I'm the least interested in.

It would be absolutely terrible if this happened. I have no idea how I'd even choose. The only other scenario is that they're not on the bill at all. Which would also suck for me but I know there'll be opportunities to see them again one day. Just seems weird as they're just less than headline at every other festival RW seems to 'share' names with. Thought that would make them almost certain.

Yeah I get that. I mean I love Alt-J's music to listen to when I'm in the right mood but I've seen them a couple of times live and couldn't have been more disappointed. Not quite sure what I was expecting, it just wasn't engaging in the slightest.

Edited by thetechi

24 minutes ago, Gossard said:

Pretty sure it's the same person on multiple accounts, but you'll need to give Neil a shout to IP check the different accounts or something to be absolutely sure. 

19 minutes ago, alan_ts said:

The Avalanches are brilliant, surely not rock/alt-rock/shoegaze etc etc but absolutely a solid band.

Obviously tastes are tastes but they're not a brainless poppy act. :) 

Edit: even if you don't like The Avalanches I'm not the little fucker who downvote you :):):) 

This! If it's not @Gossard's type of music then that's fair, but you can't call it shit just because it's not the same genre. Same as if I just dismissed Pearl Jam as shit as I simply didn't like grunge.

They're absolutely as far from brainless as you can get. Since I Left You was made from over 3,500 samples, and is widely regarded as one of the greatest albums as the 00s. It's a sprawling sonic landscape and was an absolute masterpiece in sampling, proper pioneering work.

20 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

This! If it's not @Gossard's type of music then that's fair, but you can't call it shit just because it's not the same genre. Same as if I just dismissed Pearl Jam as shit as I simply didn't like grunge.

Easy tiger, It was supposed to be a joke ;) .....but you can say what ever you want about Pearl Jam. If you think they're crap, that's your opinion and is just fine by me :) 

Can't wait for this announcement. I hope we won't be too much disappointed. I expect something big, like :

Thursday : The Prodigy (dance act after Kings of Leon)

Friday : MO, Highly Suspect, Kasabian (sub)

Saturday : Biffy Clyro, Usher & The Roots

Sunday : Gogol Bordello, A Tribe Called Quest (sub)

2 minutes ago, Tremousse said:

Can't wait for this announcement. I hope we won't be too much disappointed. I expect something big, like :

Thursday : The Prodigy (dance act after Kings of Leon)

Friday : MO, Highly Suspect, Kasabian (sub)

Saturday : Biffy Clyro, Usher & The Roots

Sunday : Gogol Bordello, A Tribe Called Quest (sub)

Hahaha we wish!

If these bands hadn't been predicted every week, I'd agree with you.

Praying for at least one band I know but expecting several smaller ones I need to get to know.

Would be amazing if your expectations were correct.

46 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

This will suck - it will be the worst scenario and because of their lack of popularity, they won't draw the crowds either. Someone completely different (A Tribe called quest or an electronic act or something like Brian Wilson) would make the most sense on that spot.

This would be my dream ... I just can't get into SOAD and remind me of being in school and all the smelly kids wearing their hoodies! If biffy play or anyone half decent then 90% of the crowcrowd would be at SOAD abd I can stand at the front in barn 

1 minute ago, Skankhunt42 said:
1 minute ago, Skankhunt42 said:

This would be my dream ... I just can't get into SOAD and remind me of being in school and all the smelly kids wearing their hoodies! If biffy play or anyone half decent then 90% of the crowcrowd would be at SOAD abd I can stand at the front in barn 

I'd better go for a wash then because I love SOAD. I don't believe I own or ever have owned a hoody either.

3 minutes ago, Skankhunt42 said:

I'd better go and have a wash then because I love SOAD. I also don't believe i have ever owned a hoody! I'd better get one before the festival!

Stay happy people :D

So many acts appeared at last minute on line-ups of end of june-start of july, like The Avalanches, Kasabian, Fleet Foxes or Rodrigo Y Gabriela, that we can expect good surprise. Rock Werchter wouldn't have kept no surprises (don't see any riddle) for the last announcement ! Come on ! 4 hours and 39 minutes to wait !

5 minutes ago, ToffeePopcorn said:

The worst possible thing for me is for Biffy to be announced and clash with anyone I haven't seen before - I'm afraid I'd see Biffy every single time :(

This is the reason I'm hoping there's a tiny space for them left on Thursday rather than Saturday. Other than KOL AF and ID, there's absolutely no one that appeals to me on Thursday. 

Edited by thetechi