Rock Werchter 2017

Red Day

Well, I don't really know why this is still debated. So far only main stage acts or at least Barn headliners were in solo announcements. They clearly are not just a Klub C closing act. 

And they are famous, unfortunately. Heck, they even have a feat. with Coldplay.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

Well, I don't really know why this is still debated. So far only main stage acts or at least Barn headliners were in solo announcements. They clearly are not just a Klub C closing act. 

And they are famous, unfortunately. Heck, they even have a feat. with Coldplay.

It probably depends on how you define big/famous I guess. If we had another big dance-act I wouldn't mind having a band like Chainsmokers as the 'other' dance-act. But a new band that I've never heard of, and the few songs I gave a listen were beyond crap, you have to excuse me for being a little disappointed. It's not like they are The  Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers or Daft Punk....damnit, I'd rather have Skrillex, Deadmau5, Major Lazer, Chase&Status or Justice. At least I know they can throw a party

If they are the only dance-act we'll have, putting Soulwax in a tent on Sunday is a bit strange IMO....

17 minutes ago, Gossard said:

It probably depends on how you define big/famous I guess. If we had another big dance-act I wouldn't mind having a band like Chainsmokers as the 'other' dance-act. But a new band that I've never heard of, and the few songs I gave a listen were beyond crap, you have to excuse me for being a little disappointed. It's not like they are The  Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers or Daft Punk....damnit, I'd rather have Skrillex, Deadmau5, Major Lazer, Chase&Status or Justice. At least I know they can throw a party

If they are the only dance-act we'll have, putting Soulwax in a tent on Sunday is a bit strange IMO....

I understand completely being disappointed about this, but I don't think they are not big enough to handle that spot. I think you will be probably be surprised and they will draw a crowd more numerous than the capacity of a tent. 

25 minutes ago, Gossard said:

So big that I had never heard of them before the were announced....

As much as I hate to say it, The Chainsmokers are hugely popular at the moment (albeit not to my personal taste, at all).

Just look at their view count on Youtube.

Closer - 1,310,000,000
Selfie - 487,000,000
Something just like this - 106,000,000
Paris - 180,000,000

Admittedly there's an argument that a band's popularity shouldn't be judged by YouTube views because it's biased to a certain age bracket etc etc but I'm not sure anyone can say a band that has a combined viewing total of over 3 billion views isn't popular (even if, in my opinion, they do belong at a different festival).

1 hour ago, arcuse said:

I'm thinking they're gonna put either Savages or Mura Masa against The Chainsmokers so Lorde & Prophets of Rage can clash against Kings Of Leon. 

That would be ideal for me. Savages, PoR and AF are must sees for me, I would hate to not see one of them and have nothing else to see during KoL. 

Also, why do you think Savages would be so late? They played low in Klub C last year, did their popularity increase? 

Also a Beth Ditto - Savages clash would be appalling. 

I think they gained popularity yeah + The Chainsmokers is a rather mainstream act aka will attract a lot of people. So for the alt people who r not into that kind of music, there's something else in Klub C. But I think it'll be Mura Masa, seriously blew up here and got a lot of airplay with that Lovesick (Ft Asap) on Stubru so. 

I saw a set of them (AF) recently on YouTube and it can't be anything else than them playing in the dark. You could see KoL as some sort of party act, but then again you have The Chainsmokers who'll def play main, so AF - KoL - TC is just not gonna happen I think.. 

53 minutes ago, grumpykrogan said:

As for Friday, are we still waiting for the sub? I know the belief around here is that JB is not subbing, but he'd draw zero ppl away from RH if they clash. (Well, he'd probably draw me, but not 100% about that.)

It depends on if organisers have succeeded in signing a sub (not easy knowing that Killers are not available, but Kasabian (who were signed last week for Bobital on 1st July) and A Tribe Called Quest are probably plans knowing their calendar, let's see what happens). James Blake and OATW are solutions in case of failure.

Gossard no offence dude but they are massive atm, internationally too, so you not considering them big or not having heard of them isn't typical of everyone else attending.

I agree they are no prodigy or chemy bros, but they must be a damn sight cheaper and will draw a massive main stage crowd regardless.

22 minutes ago, Skankhunt42 said:

Gossard no offence dude but they are massive atm, internationally too, so you not considering them big or not having heard of them isn't typical of everyone else attending.

I agree they are no prodigy or chemy bros, but they must be a damn sight cheaper and will draw a massive main stage crowd regardless.

I agree with you, they seem to be pretty popular. And as I said, I would not have any problem with them if we had another big dance-act on another day. But them being the only main stage dance-act is disappointing in my opinion....

5 minutes ago, Gossard said:

I agree with you, they seem to be pretty popular. And as I said, I would not have any problem with them if we had another big dance-act on another day. But them being the only main stage dance-act is disappointing in my opinion....

it's been a bit damage limitation following the last amazing announcement of imagine dragons (imo) whereby no one incredible has been announced since then.

27 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

Also, The Chainsmokers play a LOT of hybrid trap tunes in their sets which is arbitrary to what their recent releases sound like.

Example of this in the video below which if u skip through shows, Still not my taste tbh but each to their own :) 

This is actually quite cool. FF to 26:26min, this is how I want a dance-act to be, remixing rock songs. 2ManyDJ's did it brilliantly in 2009, as did Chase&Status in 2012.....

32 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

Also, The Chainsmokers play a LOT of hybrid trap tunes in their sets which is arbitrary to what their recent releases sound like.

Example of this in the video below which if u skip through shows, Still not my taste tbh but each to their own :) 

Ugh, that's even worse for me. Was looking at some old posters on Werchter site and saw that they had quite a lot techno stuff 15 years ago, I'd welcome that back instead of this :D 

3 hours ago, arcuse said:

I saw a set of them (AF) recently on YouTube and it can't be anything else than them playing in the dark. You could see KoL as some sort of party act, but then again you have The Chainsmokers who'll def play main, so AF - KoL - TC is just not gonna happen I think.. 

Yeah AF not in the dark will be underwhelming. Hopefully KoL will play first. 

Just now, McCallion said:

I'm not a Chainsmokers fan but their popularity is undeniable. All of their recent releases have been Top 10 in pretty much every major territory worldwide. I think they'll be closing the night.

Are you saying that Iceland is not a major territory worldwide??? :o 
:P:P:P