Rock Werchter 2017

Red Day

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Gossard said:

Because they cancelled a Dutch show a week before RW, people think they'll play RW? What? I'm missing something here 'cuz that doesn't make any sense....

They mean that Massive Attack were probably set to be Barn headliners on Saturday, until the Dutch festival, that had already announced them as headliners, brought the news that MA had cancelled all scheduled Japan and Europe shows. That might be the reason that the (replacement) Barn head is taking this long. 

1 hour ago, Gossard said:

Because they cancelled a Dutch show a week before RW, people think they'll play RW? What? I'm missing something here 'cuz that doesn't make any sense....

People are seeing Massive Attack cancelling all their European dates as the reason why we haven't got our Saturday Barn headliner yet.

Aka Massive Attack was possibly booked and now Werchter had to find a worthy replacement mid-February.

1 minute ago, Dietediet said:

People are seeing Massive Attack cancelling all their European dates as the reason why we haven't got our Saturday Barn headliner yet.

Aka Massive Attack was possibly booked and now Werchter had to find a worthy replacement mid-February.

Ahh, now I understand :)  

2 hours ago, YamiJoey said:

Hey guys, it's my first year in RW and this post really helped me understand a few things.

What do you think are the odds for Mø to be on the festival this year?

At this moment, not a lot of artists will join the line-up, so every artist has their chance, not many, but I'd say Mo is among the most likely (she plays, Tinderbox, Garorock and has gaps in her calendar)

I'm wishing for Flume since he's doing a lot of European Festival this summer but he will be at Electric Forest at the same time as RW. Can't wait to know the final line-up tho. There's a lot of artist that I'm looking forward to discover ;)

2 hours ago, YamiJoey said:

Hey guys, it's my first year in RW and this post really helped me understand a few things.

What do you think are the odds for Mø to be on the festival this year?

I have been hoping for MØ with pretty much every announcement, especially after pulling out before. Still fingers crossed 

9 minutes ago, Tremousse said:

What about The Cult ? They are around, and according to NOS Alive thread, they are going to be announced to NOS. That would be a great sub for Foos ! @lighthouse You would have your more-than-35-years-of-career-band !

I saw The Cult last year in London and they were fantastic......

Just now, Gossard said:

I saw The Cult last year in London and they were fantastic......

I just can't wait for NOS Alive now.. I found the line-up really good, but I expect more rock'n'roll. But now with The Cult & Foo Fighters on the same day, I can't imagine how fantastic it will be! Never seen The Cult on stage! I totally trust you cause I know we have in general similar opinions on gigs @Gossard according to the comments you let on this thread

It's probably been asked a million times on here, couldn't see anything on the official site or any quick google searches. How many food/drinks tokens should I buy? I'm camping at C3 with a large group and will be having a few beers around the stages. Just want to buy as many as needed in advance so I don't have to top-up at the higher price when I get there.

17 minutes ago, AndrewSmith said:

It's probably been asked a million times on here, couldn't see anything on the official site or any quick google searches. How many food/drinks tokens should I buy? I'm camping at C3 with a large group and will be having a few beers around the stages. Just want to buy as many as needed in advance so I don't have to top-up at the higher price when I get there.

It depends how much you class as a few beers. I ran out of tokens last year on the Sunday afternoon when I prebought 80, drinking a reasonable amount so going to buy 100 tokens this year. We also have a couple of drinks at the cash bars on the main road though, in addition.

Last 12 names for Main Square: 

RAG'N'BONE MAN – SOULWAX – VALD

THYLACINE – CAGE THE ELEPHANT – NAIVE NEW BEATERS

THE LEMON TWIGS – SPOON – TALISCO

KENSINGTON – WALKING ON CARS – THE NOFACE

I see Lemon Twigs, Spoon and Walking On Cars as most likely contendors for RW's last announcement(s). I really hope they didn't book Kensington this year...

23 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

Last 12 names for Main Square: 

RAG'N'BONE MAN – SOULWAX – VALD

THYLACINE – CAGE THE ELEPHANT – NAIVE NEW BEATERS

THE LEMON TWIGS – SPOON – TALISCO

KENSINGTON – WALKING ON CARS – THE NOFACE

I see Lemon Twigs, Spoon and Walking On Cars as most likely contendors for RW's last announcement(s). I really hope they didn't book Kensington this year...

How big are Spoon in Belgium? Surely they aren't Barn headliner size? 

1 minute ago, visdave34 said:

Well, I am Dutch myself, but I'm 99% sure they're not Barn headliner size in Belgium...

Thats good enough :D

I wonder who's gonna be Saturday Barn headliner,  I even struggle to find decent options.. I decided its better to give up hope for a sub for Sunday and accept its gonna be Alt-j (Soulwax at the Barn then) but Saturday is definitely missing a Barn Headliner. 

Just now, e2p2 said:

Thats good enough :D

I wonder who's gonna be Saturday Barn headliner,  I even struggle to find decent options.. I decided its better to give up hope for a sub for Sunday and accept its gonna be Alt-j (Soulwax at the Barn then) but Saturday is definitely missing a Barn Headliner. 

My money would be on either A Tribe Called Quest or Run The Jewels for Saturday Barn headline. And I'm still refusing to believe your conclusion about Sunday... (wishful thinking of course)

RTJ as Barn headliner would be a joke whereas you had Tame Impala, Beck, New Order, PJ Harvey etc in the Barn last year.. Not that RTJ is a bad act or anything, it's just you expect some bigger acts. I'm hoping for Fleet Foxes, Van Morrison, ATCQ, Belle & Sebastian, Royksopp and Ryan Adams (brilliant album btw) But yeah.. Those r just hopes :/ 

Could The Cult be in the same position as Iggy Pop last year or are they sub-worthy?

Edited by arcuse

Just now, arcuse said:

RTJ as Barn headliner would be a joke whereas you had Tame Impala, Beck, New Order, PJ Harvey etc in the Barn.. I'm hoping for Fleet Foxes, Van Morrison, ATCQ, Belle & Sebastian, Royksopp and Ryan Adams (brilliant album btw) But yeah.. Those r just hopes :/ 

Could The Cult be in the same position as Iggy Pop last year or are they sub-worthy?

They're not as big as the names you mention, but you cannot call it a joke... They are the third headliner at Best Kept Secret alongside Radiohead and Arcade Fire, which is just a stone's throw away from RW. But I agree it would be lean compared to what we've seen in the Barn in previous years. And as mentioned before, if it is true about Massive Attack cancelling their Barn headline slot, I would find it a pretty decent 'last minute' replacement, considering the options. 

In popularity, I have them in higher regards as your other hopes, bar ATCQ. Don't get me wrong, I'd personally rather see Fleet Foxes or Royksopp over RTJ, but those I just don't consider Barn headliners...

6 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

In popularity, I have them in higher regards as your other hopes, bar ATCQ. Don't get me wrong, I'd personally rather see Fleet Foxes or Royksopp over RTJ, but those I just don't consider Barn headliners...

Royksopp is tho, I think? Fleet Foxes comback and rarity makes me think they could headline the Barn aswell. BKS is nowhere near a comparison with RW. They've a totally different view of setting up their program. Reckon that the average RW go-er wouldn't even know about 50% of the acts of BKS. Also you've to agree that with those 2 very expensive headliners that there isn't much room left for a thirth big act.. I'm curious for Friday since there wasn't an announcement today :/