Rock Werchter 2017

Red Day

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, thetime said:

How did it work at coachella? Did they change the set up for drinking alcohol? It's the one thing putting me off opener festival.

They did pints but the cider they had...which was one type from what I remember as America and cider just don't go together (I wasn't aware until I got there) really was rank....like trying to drink an original bulmers. It was vodka mixer (very pricey)....drinks there generally were very expensive though. I believe it was up to $14...about £9 at the time but it was decent vodka and not the smallest glass/nor the smallest measure. But once in a life time you pay it...I didn't drink much though as I was more bothered with staying hydrated, just a couple in the evening when it started cooling around 7. Hope that answers it.

I did get accustomed to one last year over there called Angry Orchard....that was pretty nice.

Edited by thewayiam

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

They did pints but the cider they had...which was one type from what I remember as America and cider just don't go together (I wasn't aware until I got there) really was rank....like trying to drink an original bulmers. It was vodka mixer (very pricey)....drinks there generally were very expensive though. I believe it was up to $14...about £9 at the time but it was decent vodka and not the smallest glass/nor the smallest measure. But once in a life time you pay it...I didn't drink much though as I was more bothered with staying hydrated, just a couple in the evening when it started cooling around 7. Hope that answers it.

Not really answered it, I was on about the non drinking of alcohol in front of bands(separate area for drinking).

Similar set up they have at opener and Poland in general.

Edited by thetime

3 minutes ago, thetime said:

Not really answered it, I was on about the non drinking of alcohol in front of bands(separate area for drinking).

Similar set up they have at opener and Poland in general.

I didn't know what you meant really bar what I said. What do you mean by change the setup?, obviously there are pens you can't take alcohol out of but you seem to know of that. I didn't massively care but I guess it's a tad more annoying in the eve....it did mean though as they had steps up in the left pen as you face main stage that you could see regardless. 

On a side note, it's the best sound I've ever heard at a fest.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I didn't know what you meant really bar what I said. What do you mean by change the setup?, obviously there are pens you can't take alcohol out of but you seem to know of that. I didn't massively care but I guess it's a tad more annoying in the eve....it did mean though as they had steps up in the left pen as you face main stage that you could see regardless. 

On a side note, it's the best sound I've ever heard at a fest.

Just wondered if they changed that specific rule, although if it's American law there's feck all they can do.

5 minutes ago, thetime said:

Just wondered if they changed that specific rule, although if it's American law there's feck all they can do.

Oh sorry man!, no I believe it's the rule generally in various states and high in California so it covers all drinking. I couldn't to the Sahara tent there without a drink much really....lineup was epic if that's your thing but that said most of them weren't doing alcohol either.

6 hours ago, Tremousse said:

It's a fantastic line-up. It makes a long time I haven't seen a line-up like that at Main Square festival. Die Antwoord is ruled out because of Dour, JAIN will probably be at Couleur Café or Les Ardentes; I want Biffy Clyro, Seasick Steve, Kaleo, Mark Lanegan, Xavier Rudd, and The Inspector Cluzo (they are beasts on stage).

It's funny to see that the french public is not pleased with this line up. And I understand them. If these bands are very famous in Great-Britain, that's not the same everywhere. Personally, I want Kaleo, Mark Lanegan, Don Broco and Highly Suspects. 

Edited by gunther Mickey

20 hours ago, neacaisa said:

Well, a dance act is certain. Majer Lazer looked most probable, but based on their schedule it would be hard to fit in the tradition of Thursday dance closer, they could play only on Sunday. I hope for Pendulum Live on this slot, but we could get just Netsky. 

As pointed out earlier, there is still at least a main stage sub spot(Sunday), probably one of Killers/Weeknd/The XX there, all of them should be too big to headline the Barn. The XX looks more likely to do Pukkelpop though.

For the last Barn headliner spot(on Friday) Propehts of Rage are a fair bet... but would make no sense to clash with SOAD. Also, they play on Friday in Poland and would make two days in a row. They could be third down on main on Sunday too...

The other acts you mentioned could get to various spots on the bill, so it's hard to say what their chances are.

What are the chances of Fat Boy Slim do you think? It will probably most likely be Pendulum... not necessarily a bad thing as I like many of their tracks.... I saw them at Reading one year and they were pretty average. I felt chemical brothers were absolutely mind blowing at RW15.... Can you pull some more more names out of hat for me kind sir!!!!!! 

I found a great combination for RW: 1 part hoegarden rose, 1-1.5 parts gin...... potentially 2-3 hrs sleep for downtime. 

6 hours ago, Red Day said:

See your last line about being too old for Hive, trust me you're not. I'm hardly a youngster and stayed there in 15. It's a great campsite and nothing like a UK festival with marauding teenagers out of their faces. Totally relaxed area to stay in

Cheers mate but I've been to Werchter before so I'm aware of what it's like. I just don't want to camp in the hive. My favourite camp site was C3. Just hoping that it avoids the cull. 

Edited by maesydderwen

25 minutes ago, TheWerchterJuggernaut said:

What are the chances of Fat Boy Slim do you think? It will probably most likely be Pendulum... not necessarily a bad thing as I like many of their tracks.... I saw them at Reading one year and they were pretty average. I felt chemical brothers were absolutely mind blowing at RW15.... Can you pull some more more names out of hat for me kind sir!!!!!! 

I found a great combination for RW: 1 part hoegarden rose, 1-1.5 parts gin...... potentially 2-3 hrs sleep for downtime. 

Pendulum is definitely not big enough in Belgium anymore to pull off a major Main Stage slot. They'd be KluB C closers if they're coming, but I'm considering them more likely for Pukkelpop or Dour. 

6 hours ago, Dietediet said:

Pendulum is definitely not big enough in Belgium anymore to pull off a major Main Stage slot. They'd be KluB C closers if they're coming, but I'm considering them more likely for Pukkelpop or Dour. 

Defo, they'd probably headline at PP or near enough as it's not as strong.

8 minutes ago, Gossard said:

The Prodigy and Richard Ashcroft announced for Northside in Denmark, any chance of them being at RW?

The Prodigy would certainly fit the description of a big dance closer! I can't see Ashcroft appearing though, he's in England on the Friday/Saturday, though i suppose it's not impossible. 

IMG_7972.PNG

Could anyone advise regarding the food/drink vouchers please, do these HAVE to be bought, whether before/at the event, so there's no cash transactions at the bar/food stands? 

If so I'm going to buy some in advance... what sort of prices are you looking at, e.g. How many vouchers does it cost for a beer? They're €2.50 per coupon so I'm assuming it's probably two? Just wondering how many I should look to buy! 

12 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

Could anyone advise regarding the food/drink vouchers please, do these HAVE to be bought, whether before/at the event, so there's no cash transactions at the bar/food stands? 

If so I'm going to buy some in advance... what sort of prices are you looking at, e.g. How many vouchers does it cost for a beer? They're €2.50 per coupon so I'm assuming it's probably two? Just wondering how many I should look to buy! 

Honestly, I never paid to drink at Werchter. From the moment you decide to drink, you pick up 20 cups on your way to the bar, you exchange the 20 cups/bottles against a ticket at the recycling booth (next to the bar) and you get a free drink.

So, basically, I use coupons just to eat. I think it's more or less 3 tickets to eat something, sometimes more.

Edited by eratiti007

You don't HAVE to buy these vouchers in advance if you really don't want to. It's just better because on the festival the vouchers are more expensive. There are no cash transactions permitted at the stands, but you can buy vouchers on site with cash (3 euros).

Online vouchers indeed are €2,50 and normal drinks like beer are just 1 voucher each. Food depends. Basic food like fries and burgers are just 2 vouchers, but there is also more expensive and better food for 3-5 vouchers.

You can also pay on site by card and the price is 2,75€ per coupon.

edit: it depends from what you do at festivals (food/drink) but for my habits I usually buy vouchers in advance if it's possible.

Edited by alan_ts

Thanks for the answers all three of you, the main question was whether or not I could pay cash so if it is vouchers only I'll buy them now to get the cheapest possible prices.

One voucher per beer is very reasonable, even if it's not pints as someone mentioned yesterday, and the recycling point is definitely worth knowing about!  

Ill have a think regarding the amount of vouchers I want but it sounds like it will be quite reasonable! Are they physical vouchers or do you get a card loaded up with them? (The more pieces of paper worth money I have the more likely they are to get misplaced :lol:)