Rock Werchter 2017

Red Day

Just now, Tremousse said:

To me it's a fantastic announcement. Dropkick Murphys put a hell of a show at Hellfest last summer and they are better than they were in the past; Very happy with Future Islands too cause they are a wonderful band on stage, and The Lumineers got Ho Hey, which is one of the festival anthems of last years... This line-up is absolutely insane. 

Couldn't agree more ! But still...Pendulum, The Kills, Jimmy Eat World would be great for me :)

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, somehow james blake subs radiohead very often lately : happened at lolla berlin last year, will happen for certain at i-days festival(monza) and looks very likely to happen at open'er. It would be very surprising to clash here (even if they are not exactly the perfect match for a combo)  and disappointing for me as they are two of the personal highlights of the festival.

I look forward to the other bands announced today, neither sounds like something I wouldn't enjoy live.

I also hope for 1 or 2 strong rap acts. Even a hybrid like frank ocean or prophets of rage would make me happy.

14 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

Well, somehow james blake subs radiohead very often lately : happened at lolla berlin last year, will happen for certain at i-days festival(monza) and looks very likely to happen at open'er. It would be very surprising to clash here (even if they are not exactly the perfect match for a combo)  and disappointing for me as they are two of the personal highlights of the festival.

I look forward to the other bands announced today, neither sounds like something I wouldn't enjoy live.

I also hope for 1 or 2 strong rap acts. Even a hybrid like frank ocean or prophets of rage would make me happy.

I hope they don't put him as a sub, his status is nowhere near sub at RW and played for an empty tent last year (against McCartney). Are they making that up for him or is it just a package-deal, either way James Blake is put above Oscar & The Wolf which shocks me.. I hope The Killers end up being on the bill (either as sub for RH or for The Foo's)

I think Prophets Of Rage still make a chance but idk what place they're gonna get on the main, Frank's a though one I think because he doesn't like touring and having a lot of concerts and I heard last time he played at RW it was a bit of a disappointment + I think he now only accepts festivals where he can headline I think

Also don't forget that The Weeknd is also around (though his concert ain't sold out yet).. 

18 minutes ago, arcuse said:

I hope they don't put him as a sub, his status is nowhere near sub at RW and played for an empty tent last year (against McCartney). Are they making that up for him or is it just a package-deal, either way James Blake is put above Oscar & The Wolf which shocks me.. I hope The Killers end up being on the bill (either as sub for RH or for The Foo's)

Depends if radiohead have had a input on there day, no idea if they would at werchter.

4 hours ago, Skankhunt42 said:

agreed pal, been trying to get into radiohead which is a bit of a struggle but I will watch them to say I have seen them ...  rest don't fill me with joy.. lumineers look propa shite also;

Tbh bar Saturday it's not all that. KOL are well past it and Alt-J subbing is shite. Lorde is decent add because she has a rarity about her that makes you think she's kind of good....but she's not.

45 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Tbh bar Saturday it's not all that. KOL are well past it and Alt-J subbing is shite. Lorde is decent add because she has a rarity about her that makes you think she's kind of good....but she's not.

Imagine dragon's, linkin park and foos are the best announcements. .. lorde is a rarity agreed so will be nice to have her ... if kol have some stage presence they will be good but I am yet to be persuaded

35 minutes ago, kris0624 said:

Are you kidding? The recent album is fantastic.

Haha, I heard a revent song on the radio yesterday and they are as dull as dishwater now.....added to the fact there is is charisma or presence. Should have stayed pissed off.

31 minutes ago, Skankhunt42 said:

Imagine dragon's, linkin park and foos are the best announcements. .. lorde is a rarity agreed so will be nice to have her ... if kol have some stage presence they will be good but I am yet to be persuaded

I can't agree with LP now, nothing of the band they once we're, I also got bored of Imagine Dragons last output quickly, is watch them don't get me wrong but not essential.

FF and SOAD for me, Blink I like the old stuff but for me take a singer out and that's not really the same band for me. Tom was shit and singing yes but that was their sound, they are a now a band that sing Blink songs with 1 original and 1 not singer. If Skiba has been on/off then it'd be different but he hasn't. 

They were good at Glasto in 08 and I have seen them at Hyde Park, Reading and possibly another/possibly not since that's how memorable it was and just dull. Hyde Park was just shit, The Black Keys before they got noticed and The Drums supported. 

11 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Haha, I heard a revent song on the radio yesterday and they are as dull as dishwater now.....added to the fact there is is charisma or presence. Should have stayed pissed off.

I can't agree with LP now, nothing of the band they once we're, I also got bored of Imagine Dragons last output quickly, is watch them don't get me wrong but not essential.

FF and SOAD for me, Blink I like the old stuff but for me take a singer out and that's not really the same band for me. Tom was shit and singing yes but that was their sound, they are a now a band that sing Blink songs with 1 original and 1 not singer. If Skiba has been on/off then it'd be different but he hasn't. 

They were good at Glasto in 08 and I have seen them at Hyde Park, Reading and possibly another/possibly not since that's how memorable it was and just dull. Hyde Park was just shit, The Black Keys before they got noticed and The Drums supported. 

Imagine dragon's are insane .... I have never listened to SOAD and LP have an amaxing back catalogue chuck in a few others and it will be insane ... blink 182 are just annoying

47 minutes ago, Skankhunt42 said:

Imagine dragon's are insane .... I have never listened to SOAD and LP have an amaxing back catalogue chuck in a few others and it will be insane ... blink 182 are just annoying

Chester can't perform the best songs anymore, his vocals have gone for it unfortunately which is most of the reason they started to change. 

SOAD are great although not a big fan of Hypnotise or Steal this album.

Yeah I'm not into Blink massively 

Nice announcement! Lumineers and Dropkick Murphys are always fun and Im looking forward to Future Islands. Isnt it Lorde's first European date? If so its very uncommon for RW to do so. James Blake is the thing here I dont get. He played in KluB C against Disclosure and the tent was far from being packed but he isnt gonna play lower or repeat his position.  On the other hand, Lorde is the biggest name of this announcement and she wont play higher than Barn headliner/fourth name main stage. 

3 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

Nice announcement! Lumineers and Dropkick Murphys are always fun and Im looking forward to Future Islands. Isnt it Lorde's first European date? If so its very uncommon for RW to do so. James Blake is the thing here I dont get. He played in KluB C against Disclosure and the tent was far from being packed but he isnt gonna play lower or repeat his position.  On the other hand, Lorde is the biggest name of this announcement and she wont play higher than Barn headliner/fourth name main stage. 

I bet she does because of her rarity, she'll do these shows and not appear again for a fair while. I think she knows she doesn't have a long standing appeal enough. 

28 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

I am happy James Blake is there but I'm wondering where he'll be, what's considered the 'second stage' The Barn or Klub C? 

Either way he's obviously not going to play klub c again, if The Barn attracts the better acts then perhaps he could subheadline that? Otherwise it's got to be before Radiohead as subheadliner or clashing with them as he headlines The Barn surely?

They list klub c as the secondary stage, but it seems to me that the barn ends up having the bigger or better names. Also, previously the klub c stage was inclined more towards electronic, rap or pop and the barn towards indie/alternative, but to me it seems that there isn't that much of a difference.

I think he could play in many spots. We will have a bigger picture in 2-3 weeks, when more names will be on the bill for Friday night.

Edited by neacaisa

4 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

Pleased with yesterday's announcement, Lorde Is a massive curveball! Anyone know where to start with James Blake? 

Gave the Oscar and the Wolf album a go, looking at the poster imagine he will be headlining the barn or closing after Radiohead.

Same with James blake ... downloaded first ep and it was poor everyone said it was good ... slightly worried

Depends what you're into I suppose... he's no Foo Fighters or Kings of Leon but I enjoyed him on the main stage in Berlin.

I'd probably say the second album is my favourite and that got a fair bit of airtime when I saw him.

It would seem strange to have him and Radiohead clashing, they're not exactly 'similar' but there's not much variety there! Maybe a sub headline or even one below on the main stage if he wasn't drawing a crowd at Klub C last year? 

29 minutes ago, Skankhunt42 said:

Same with James blake ... downloaded first ep and it was poor everyone said it was good ... slightly worried

Only worry is if they spent to much of the budget on the big hitting headliners, then the rest of the lineup would suffer.

Perhaps that's why nothing has sold-out, people are edging there bets on the lineup rather than just the headliners.

I think by popularity Oscar & The Wolf wins easily off James Blake so I wouldn't understand why he's higher up the bill. Seems more likely to me that O&TW sub and that James Blake gets the Barn or Klub C but I'm 99% certain that against Radiohead he will again get no one in the tent. 

Lorde played only 3x times in Europe in the past (NL, UK & Germany) thus the only reason why she'd be a Barnheadliner is because of her rarity but she has had only one album out in the past and the second one coming up, I don't understand why she'd already be that up high? Though I'm sure they'll put her against Arcade Fire

And I still feel like we're getting The Weeknd or The Killers in the next few weeks..

10 minutes ago, arcuse said:

I think by popularity Oscar & The Wolf wins easily off James Blake so I wouldn't understand why he's higher up the bill. Seems more likely to me that O&TW sub and that James Blake gets the Barn or Klub C but I'm 99% certain that against Radiohead he will again get no one in the tent. 

I guess this is the case just for Belgium and a few other countries. Oatw are almost unknown or just a filler in most european countries. They played in a electronic festival that had a low ticket price last year in Romania and had a crowd of just 100 people at their performance.

James blake is not exactly a star but is an established artist, his two albums had very good reviews and has a lot of better known songs than max's.

I don't know the percentage of foreigners at werchter so it's hard to say if he would be more popular there.

I like them both, anyway.

20 minutes ago, arcuse said:

Lorde played only 3x times in Europe in the past (NL, UK & Germany) thus the only reason why she'd be a Barnheadliner is because of her rarity but she has had only one album out in the past and the second one coming up, I don't understand why she'd already be that up high? Though I'm sure they'll put her against Arcade Fire

And I still feel like we're getting The Weeknd or The Killers in the next few weeks..

Well I bought tix Early in the fear they would sell out ... I knew once image dragon's were announced tat I would be way more gutted if I couldn't get a ticket from hedging my bets than if the rest of the lineup was shit ... I think they have smashed their budget to pieces bit they will keep giving us some good names ... I think they recent announcements weren't exactly cheap either so fingers crossed we dont get 50 shit bands but looking at 2015 the names just kept coming so I have faith.