What's you limit?

nikkic

We can probably expect ticket prices to go up to approximately the £250 mark for next year's festival. 

I'm curious as to how much people are willing to pay for tickets? £250, £300, more? 

At what point will you say "I'm out"? 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, wwinstanley said:

Hard to say without actually needing to make the decision and without seeing a figure but if be willing to pay a lot more than current prices. 

Its sort of like asking to put a price on the Glastonbury you have just had. 

It's not just the ticket price though - it's everything that comes with it

Say the ticket is £250 + fees

Travel - £30-40 (assuming you're within driving distance)

Food/ drink to take with you - £100

Food/ drink/ merch while there - £100

Not to mention having to buy tent and camping gear. Another possible £100 if you're not re-using. 

So just on that basis that's £5-600.

I go to Benicassim in the boiling hot Spain with ticket, travel and spending money costing less than that, or about the same. No mud there either :)

And it's 4 days music, 8 days camping there with a beach within walking distance. 

Edited by rpfranks

1 minute ago, Mezhyp1 said:

If they raise and raise the ticket price, does that mean less people will try and get them, hence making it easier to get a ticket? 

I'm all for that 

Considering stuff like V is charging around the same price for not even half of the content I think people would continue to pay if the prices slowly go up. A tenner added every few years is fuck all to a lot of people; especially when it continues to trounce the local competition 

9 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

If they raise and raise the ticket price, does that mean less people will try and get them, hence making it easier to get a ticket? 

I'm all for that 

Probably yes, although the demographic would almost certainly shift. 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Considering stuff like V is charging around the same price for not even half of the content I think people would continue to pay if the prices slowly go up. A tenner added every few years is fuck all to a lot of people; especially when it continues to trounce the local competition 

This exactly. Fair fucks; I went to Rock Wercther a few times, had a week in the sun, saw some of Brussells, watched some incredible bands, for about £400 in total for everything, which is also exceptional value, but it doesn't offer anything like the entertainment value of Glastonbury. 

If it's spend £500 on a fortnights holiday then spending money lumped on top, or spend £500 on a Glastonbury and take a week off work after it to suffer the come down, then il be at Glastonbury as long as I continue to get a ticket 

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd pay £300. No question.

To put that figure into context, it would cost £120 to get as close to ELO at their Wembley gig next year as I got to them last week. I see a GF ticket as incredible value for money.

It is great value. You'd normally get a ticket to each of the headliners of the festival for approximately the total ticket price. 

I paid £80 plus for Blur in Hyde Park last year with a less than stellar undercard, so £250 for 3 days of amazing music plus 2 bonus days is still great value. 

15 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

It's not just the ticket price though - it's everything that comes with it

Say the ticket is £250 + fees

Travel - £30-40 (assuming you're within driving distance)

Food/ drink to take with you - £100

Food/ drink/ merch while there - £100

Not to mention having to buy tent and camping gear. Another possible £100 if you're not re-using. 

So just on that basis that's £5-600.

I go to Benicassim in the boiling hot Spain with ticket, travel and spending money costing less than that, or about the same. No mud there either :)

And it's 4 days music, 8 days camping there with a beach within walking distance. 

Fair point.

personally though I don't think about the cost. I want to be there so I pay what needs to be paid. 

Granted some people are in a tighter situation financially which I fully understand. 

Im going to the Friday of Beni this year as I will already be in Spain and it does strike me as very good value for money. 

I'm in the I would pay more camp and think the ticket is good value.  We took the kids for the first time this year and it was even better.  If I counted up all the rides and activities they enjoyed  and compared them to a local fair, I bet I could easily have spent another £100-£150.  Plus the fact that they could enjoy themselves without time limits or having to ask for money was very relaxing for us.

Just now, wwinstanley said:

Fair point.

personally though I don't think about the cost. I want to be there so I pay what needs to be paid. 

Granted some people are in a tighter situation financially which I fully understand. 

Im going to the Friday of Beni this year as I will already be in Spain and it does strike me as very good value for money. 

This year I was lucky enough to be in a better financial situation than usual so could afford Glasto and Beni.

Next year I suspect it will be one or the other with rising ticket costs and the inevitable rising cost of everything else following Brexit. I'd rather it be Glastonbury than anywhere else I could possibly go but give it a few years of rising ticket prices in the uk and that might have to change. 

Obviously if I could afford to blow £3/4/500 on Glasto + spending money every year I would but imagine a lot are in the same boat should the prices rise dramatically 

I always weigh it up against what I would pay in single tickets to see all the acts over the three, now four days with the addition of Thursday entertainment.  

With this in mind my absolute limit would be about £450-£500. Although having said that I would probably wobble and pay more as I love it so much. Other half might put the breaks on. 

Edited by muddychick

I do think it's a sad direction that Glasto (and other festivals) are heading in with the rise in ticket prices. U.K. Festivals are becoming more and more bourgeois as time goes on and the rises in ticket prices only adds to that. It'll be sad when only the middle class can afford to go to festivals. 

Always had £250 in my head as the benchmark so £250.

This years was £228 plus fees IIRC so I am working on an increase of about £10 or thereabouts this year.

Well, I was until the brexit vote. Now anyones guess is as good as mine. So long as its £250 or less, I will go. I would probably pay a bit more than £250 if I needed to but the rest of my group won't. And I am down to a twosome for next year as things stand! So would mean I would be alone but I care not. Would just give me more excuse to play up for the weekend (in a good way!)

I'd definitely pay more as it is great value for money considering how many bands you can see for that price. Some of the food stalls, however, are rip off merchants and for me were the biggest expense of the weekend. I'm happy to pay 8 quid for a nice meal, but some charge 8 quid and the food is diabolical. 

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Probably yes, although the demographic would almost certainly shift. 

this would be my concern, as it would become more casual music fan who wants to be seen at Glastonbury rather than people who really fully appreciate it... personally I think the cost is getting quite high now to start pricing out a good section of people which is a shame.

I think if it hit the £280 mark I'd be saying no to the price

Agree it is still exceptional value for money, and while the ticket price continues to rise in line with inflation then I'm happy to pay what is asked for.

Unforeseen expense at home (our combi-boiler is on borrowed time...) might influence a future decision to go but in all likelihood we may well chose to work the festival if that's the case...being totally absent would be too hard.

9 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

this would be my concern, as it would become more casual music fan who wants to be seen at Glastonbury rather than people who really fully appreciate it... personally I think the cost is getting quite high now to start pricing out a good section of people which is a shame.

I think if it hit the £280 mark I'd be saying no to the price

So for arguments sake of the price was £270 for the next few years you would continue to go. But despite having an amazing time each year and wanting to go back, if the price was £280 would it be a flat out no? For the extra tenner?

Im not being argumentative, just trying to emphasise my point that it really comes down to what the festival means to you. 

Fuel prices continue to creep up by the odd penny, do you have a threshold where you will no longer drive a car due to the fuel price?

I do appreciate the huge financial strain for some people to attend glasto, something they love to do. It would be a shame if it became too expensive for those who really love it to not be able to go.