What's you limit?

nikkic

to be honest I was drinking only cider from the cider bus which was competitively priced. In Reading the nearest town to me you can in fact pay £5 for a pint in some of the bars (which I wouldn't choose to be in but have been dragged into by friends looking for chicks lol)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

You do down south now. In fact in certain boozers in leeds and Manchester it's heading that way. 

Admittedly not for pisswater tuborg. 

I know some cracking bars in Manchester. Less than £7 for three ales at Oyster Bar. About the same in Birmingham. I can get change from a fiver on two ales here in some places outside the city centre. 

but it was £5 for a pint of Otters at Glasto this year. More expensive than the £4.90 Tuborg

Edited by rpfranks

You could argue that the festival is already being subsidised by the acts taking below market rate. If Glastonbury started up today as a new festival and didn't have it's history/prestige/BBC coverage to get acts to accept below their usual fee, there's no way they could sell tickets for £270 and still make charitable donations. 5 day festival, the headliners this year taking all their standard fees, Block 9 and Arcadia charging their standard fees....not a hope in hell they could keep the ticket price at £270 and have kids free.

There are only 2 ways they could reduce ticket prices. Smaller festival or reducing the quality of acts across the board. 

I think it would have to go up a fair bit for me to consider not going, but that's mainly because I feel it's worth it and I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it.  I've had reactions from people who've never been who think it's a lot of money, and sure £200 is a lot of money, but for what Glastonbury is it's money well spent.  What I don't want to see is people being priced out and it suddenly becoming only attainable for certain people, that would be sad

8 hours ago, nikkic said:

We can probably expect ticket prices to go up to approximately the £250 mark for next year's festival. 

I'm curious as to how much people are willing to pay for tickets? £250, £300, more? 

At what point will you say "I'm out"? 

I reckon it'll be 240 next year. However surely they can't justify increasing it year on year 

8 hours ago, wwinstanley said:

So for arguments sake of the price was £270 for the next few years you would continue to go. But despite having an amazing time each year and wanting to go back, if the price was £280 would it be a flat out no? For the extra tenner?

Im not being argumentative, just trying to emphasise my point that it really comes down to what the festival means to you. 

Fuel prices continue to creep up by the odd penny, do you have a threshold where you will no longer drive a car due to the fuel price?

I do appreciate the huge financial strain for some people to attend glasto, something they love to do. It would be a shame if it became too expensive for those who really love it to not be able to go. 

answer to your question I don't know, it would depend on my circumstances at the time and whether I wanted to go and/or had the money...as I say I think it's getting expensive now even though I understand it's good value for money

Will be interesting to see how they fair over the next couple of years if they continue increasing at the current rates, which I'm guessing will be a minimum with the weak pound. I get the impression people underestimate the impact of the uncertain economy in 2008 and 09 sales.

I think it's a mistake to keep raising the base price indefinitely considering the changes in the market. There are now a whole load of 3 day festivals available for under £100 a ticket, a lot of which also offer the benefit of taking your own booze into the arena. While none of them can compare to the offering at Glastonbury it gets a bit ridiculous when you could do 3 different festivals for about the same outlay.

To be honest the price has risen from (I think) from £110.00 to £230.00 over the course of the 13 years I have been attending. A rise of £120.00 over that period of time representing a rise of approximately £10.00 per year so we will probably looking around the £240/50 mark for 2017. I'll pay that because of the value for money arguments detailed above, it's never just about the music for me and having done other (albeit not European) festivals I love that fact that Glastonbury is the first, the biggest and probably the most diverse in terms of acts.

What I really do balk at is the constantly rising cost of car parking. £35.00 up from £25.00 the year before and almost certainly in the region of £40/45 for next year. I appreciate that they are attempting to dissuade people from driving and that the cost of car parking is likely to be affected by the local landowners but even so. This realistically pushes up the cost of attending to around £300.00 before fuel and food are factored in as well.

It will be interesting to see what they will be charging if/when they move to Longleat. I can see tickets for that event topping the £300.00 mark with ease in view of the sort of money that they were charging for their Elton John concert this summer. In terms of transport I would envisage similar costs, though I think the closest station to Longleat is Warminster so it may be possible to get a train to the Longleat site similarly to Castle Cary but with less of a shuttle journey at the end.  

17 hours ago, rpfranks said:

I agree with most of this but booze is pub prices?

I don't pay £5 for an ale at my local 

I found it fairly reasonable - but then again i do work in West London where its difficult to find a pint for under a fiver nowadays.

£4 for a pint of 7% Brothers was a bargain in comparison!

22 hours ago, MadScientist said:

I think the more it costs the less value for money it will be personally because it won't be what it once was, it'll just become a playground for the well-off rather than the welcoming and diverse utopia it currently is. 

This would be my main worry.

If the tickets went up to £300, I'd have that pause where I'd question it and if it was anywhere else I probably wouldn't go, but the enjoyment and hours of entertainment I get at Glastonbury always feel priceless and I forget about the cost when I'm there. But part of that experience is the people who make up the crowd and if it shifted massively and became snobbish, it'd put me off. 

21 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

+2

and at the moment if I was told it would be £500 but I would definetely get a ticket I would pay it.

We paid that each for hospitality tickets (that never materialised) when we missed out on the initial sale and (if i'm honest) I would have paid that for standard entry had it guaranteed us a wristband of any type when i realised it wasn't happening!

2 hours ago, richy24 said:

I found it fairly reasonable - but then again i do work in West London where its difficult to find a pint for under a fiver nowadays.

Wasn't sure of the coconut  but the strawberry and the toffee apple were winners for £4! 

16 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

This.

I used to say that I thought I wouldn't be able to hack it any more once I got to 40ish. And when I busted my ankle in 2014 I thought that was it, actually. But now I see men and women in their 70s working on the Recycling Team, and I think yeah, I'll still be going strong then too. The festival doesn't have to be the same when you're older as when you're younger, and I intend to carry on till I drop. 

2 hours ago, richy24 said:

bimble inn were doing the cider bus cider for £3.50 a pint, incredible value.

24 minutes ago, Glastobuddy said:

Wasn't sure of the coconut  but the strawberry and the toffee apple were winners for £4! 

coconut & lime is new favourite lol even got a group of Scottish folk we were talking too Wednesday into it :) 

22 hours ago, russycarps said:

and what about the poor sods who are gradually getting priced out?

I don't know why this got so many down votes. It's a perfectly valid statement. Festivals are heading to be a bourgeois thing which isn't cool. Yeah the festival is amazing, dare I say "priceless", but when average folk are priced out it'll kill the festival 

Just playing devils advocate here (I've already said I'd pay way over the ticket price to go) I actually saw 2 of the three headliners so that alone represents good value, but... Being a mud year I probably only saw half of what I had planned to, and even when it's not muddy however good the lineup is you will always have clashes and you could only ever conceviaably see a small percentage of the total lineup, so the ticket price can only ever represent a certain amount of value no matter how good the lineup.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Just playing devils advocate here (I've already said I'd pay way over the ticket price to go) I actually saw 2 of the three headliners so that alone represents good value, but... Being a mud year I probably only saw half of what I had planned to, and even when it's not muddy however good the lineup is you will always have clashes and you could only ever conceviaably see a small percentage of the total lineup, so the ticket price can only ever represent a certain amount of value no matter how good the lineup.

It'd be fairly easy to see 7 acts per day Fri-Sun and 4 acts on Thursday, so 25 in total. That works out at £10 per act if the ticket was £250. Still amazing value, especially when all the extras are added in. 

I've been looking at festivals to take my kids to next summer (camp Bestival, Deershed) and the price for these isn't much different to Glastonbury, with much less on offer. I'm happy with the price of the ticket at present, I think it's great value for money. Yes I'd rather the price didn't rise, but I'd pay up to £300