Bearded Theory Festival 2017

Paul ™

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quality festival once again - if not a busy one for me at least as a couple of the shifts were somewhat challenging this year for various reasons..! As close to perfect festival weather as you can get and the crowd were sound. Good set from Madness as well even with Woody absent as he's recovering from a quad bike accident from about two weeks ago apparently.

Excellent festival once again. Some great sets, particularly loved Rev & The Makers, Cast, Doonicans, Jaya The Cat and Sugarhill Gang/Furious Five but Slaves stole it for me.

Almost perfect weather too. So, ehen do tickets go on sale again? :D

15 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Quality festival once again - if not a busy one for me at least as a couple of the shifts were somewhat challenging this year for various reasons..!

Really? Everything must've happened during your shifts then, cos nothing happened during mine. Quietest festival I've ever worked at in terms of stuff to do. There was a bloke sleeping of the excesses of sun and booze that we had to keep a bit of an eye on, but apart from that, nothing

Edited by philipsteak
Unclear

10 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Really? Everything must've happened during your shifts then, cos nothing happened during mine. Quietest festival I've ever worked at in terms of stuff to do. There was a bloke sleeping of the excesses of sun and booze that we had to keep a bit of an eye on, but apart from that, nothing

Lucky you! I had to help direct and traffic manage the whole campervan arrivals contraflow / snake through the main gate on Thursday just for starters.... The amount of diesel fumes I breathed doesn't bear thinking about. And in than unrelenting sun too. There was a knife incident on my shift on Sat plus a casualty in Rylands. Shift experiences are just luck of the draw really - was mainly a quiet one like yours sounds for me last year.

Edited by Pinhead

Did anybody catch Vintage Trouble? 

They were fantastic! 

The front man was bonkers, went all the way out into the crow with his radio mic, climbed the mix desk and crowd surfed all the way back to the stage. Gutted I didn't have my camera then.

Brillant Rock & Soul.

another fantastic weekend, exhausting to work in that heat but well worth it, didn't even make it into maui waui or gails this year and only dipped a toe into convoy unlike last year!.  Highlights were Skunk, Dreadzone, Sugarhill gang and Rev n Makers.  Thought the confetti cannons and fireworks were ace and the general decor of the site was great.  I bloody love that festival!

Great weekend although quite low key for us this year as mate is on new medication for depression which is really knocking him out and i had a bit of a dodgy knee.

However still managed to be dancing with my stick near the front for Slaves, Skunk Anansie, Jaya the Cat, The Fall, Selecter, Sugarhill Gang, and Madness amongst others.

Highlights from me were Skunk Anansie especially as i only knew one song and had quite low expectations. The Fall - even though i hardly understood a word that Mark E Smith was on about the band was superb, Sugarhill Gang were perfect in that sunny Sunday afternoon spot and Madness's last 20 minutes was hard to beat.

1 hour ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Did anybody catch Vintage Trouble? 

They were fantastic! 

The front man was bonkers, went all the way out into the crow with his radio mic, climbed the mix desk and crowd surfed all the way back to the stage. Gutted I didn't have my camera then.

Brillant Rock & Soul.

He did this at West Holts last year. Love them!

What a weekend. Brilliant again. Had so much fun. Skunk Anansie were class, been a while since I last saw them. Special mentions to Cut Capers (who are now a must see at Glastonbury for me) Usti baba, papa shango, Rev and the makers, 3DM in the dance tent and Dreadzone and all the others I saw! Totally awesome weekend. Just wish it wasn't all over, I want to do it again this weekend.

20 minutes ago, Ravey Davey Gravy said:

When and where were the Doonicans playing?? We looked all over expecting them but saw nothing.

Ace BT17, but wish they'd ordered more programmes, they'd sold out by mid day Friday.

Gail's Tea Tent Friday at 2ish. Started off as a Scott Doonican solo set, then Alan and Bjorn surprised him and joined half way through. He seemed genuinely shocked they were there so if it was a set up, they hid it well.

Don't think it was advertised anywhere. I remember checking the chalkboard in the morning and nothing jumped out that it might be him/them.

We got told he was on by someone we bumped into about 5 minutes before they started.

Yeah I got told Thursday they were doing a secret set in the tea tent at 2 Friday. But I missed it. Really need to bring a watch with me and or chill out on the booze!!

18 hours ago, Perks said:

What a weekend. Brilliant again. 

Hey Perks - did you catch the infamous Clusterfuck? I went along, mainly out of ghoulish curiosity, but ended up really liking them. All a bit weird, but together with the dancers either side I thought they put on quite a show. 

In general this year the highlights for me were the unexpected. While System7, Banco de GaIa and NMA were, of course, good to see again, it was the likes of Beth McCarthy, Slaves, Black Balled, Willy and the Bandits and Transglobal Underground - none of which I would have bothered with with at a bigger festival - that stand out in my memory.

3 hours ago, sparkythetortoise said:

Hey Perks - did you catch the infamous Clusterfuck? I went along, mainly out of ghoulish curiosity, but ended up really liking them. All a bit weird, but together with the dancers either side I thought they put on quite a show. 

In general this year the highlights for me were the unexpected. While System7, Banco de GaIa and NMA were, of course, good to see again, it was the likes of Beth McCarthy, Slaves, Black Balled, Willy and the Bandits and Transglobal Underground - none of which I would have bothered with with at a bigger festival - that stand out in my memory.

Ah again, I messed up and missed them. Even more annoyed now you said they were good. Agree on slaves, thought they were class. Missed transglobal for the Rev, more coz me pals I was with at the time were doing Rev, glad I did it was ace. I saw smiley and the underclass, me pals recommendation and thought they were wicked, just last night noticed them on the Glasto line up. Bonus. Had such a brilliant weekend again. Love that place