Aeriel pic of the aftermath

wirralchris

Doesn't look too bad from a distance, however there'll be some massive work to be done to get back to normal, if there is a normal on that farm.

Thanks to all the workers hard work it'll be green and lush again in a few weeks time.

I don't expect this will be a popular comment but after experiencing this year I think that if the festival was ever due a fallow year then 2017 should be it.

The ground was seriously ferked in many places and anyone expecting it to fully recover by this time next year is having a chuckle.

In some places I saw JCB diggers removing whole areas of topsoil back to bedrock in an attempt to control the mud, backstage T&C was particularly ruined. It'll take more than spreading a bit of lawnseed to sort that out.

10 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Far from it, an aerial pic just years before would show it a lot worse.

No mate! In 24 years of attending, This was the muddiest I have endured, Sure, 97/98 and 07' were wetter, but the rainfall leading up to this year has had a massive impact on the state of the ground during the festival. Roll on next year. Us old timers are due a sunny one

I've been there a few more years than you and as much as the weather did seriously affect things this year the infrastructure coped remarkably well ie digger/tractors/straw/chippings. Yes there's damage but nothing a few tractors and rollers can't sort out.

I honestly didn't think it was too bad, did feel sorry for people during the build but even if I knew it was going to be the same next time I wouldn't mind, it's Glastonbury after all and none of us go for the weather. 
Charm x

3 minutes ago, Charm said:

I honestly didn't think it was too bad, did feel sorry for people during the build but even if I knew it was going to be the same next time I wouldn't mind, it's Glastonbury after all and none of us go for the weather. 
Charm x

Agreed, but strangely I always come back with a tan.

8 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

A mate of mine who was an agricultural student many years ago tells me that the churning up is actually good for the fields and the grass.

Yep, correct, without the litter of course which is becoming less and less every year. Rest assured folks we've all probably saved Michael millions in ploughing fees.

Always amazes me how quickly it recovers. Give it 2-3 months and it will be fine!

Mate of lives on a farm, and once a year for three days the owner hosts a Quad bike enduro race. It absolutely destroys the grass/ fields. The does little to help its recovery and it pretty much sorts itself out in a few months. Albeit without the litter.

One for the vets, how do they remove the small items like ring pulls, filter tips etc?

2 hours ago, Cooter said:

I've been there a few more years than you and as much as the weather did seriously affect things this year the infrastructure coped remarkably well ie digger/tractors/straw/chippings. Yes there's damage but nothing a few tractors and rollers can't sort out.

6 hours cleaning my tent today and requiring a tow from a tractor this year for the first time ever would suggest otherwise. From my personal perspective, this year was the muddiest I've been to. That's not saying I did'nt have a great time and that I won't be sat at my keyboard in October in the hope of getting a ticket for next year

2 hours ago, wirralchris said:

No mate! In 24 years of attending, This was the muddiest I have endured, Sure, 97/98 and 07' were wetter, but the rainfall leading up to this year has had a massive impact on the state of the ground during the festival. Roll on next year. Us old timers are due a sunny one

2007 was definitely muddier (as well as wetter). I have photos from that year with the mud up to the top of my wellies. The area around Leftfield got pretty soup-like and deep this year but didn't quite pip 2007. Plenty of cars getting towed that year too. This was the muddiest year we've had since then though.