Future headliners

swede

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MadScientist said:

If Slaves continue to increase in popularity I could see them headlining. They've played the last two years (this year as a secret set) and they've only really been big enough to have played Glasto those last two years. 

If Slaves ever headline Glastonbury I'll eat not only my own hat but the hats of every person on site. They'll never be big enough.

Also they're rubbish.

1 hour ago, willd255 said:

It's not subjective whether they're big enough or not. The fact that people go along to see people because 'it's The Who' is down to the fact they're massive and legends. I'm not saying they wouldn't be great, they're just not big enough to headline. You wouldn't get people going to see Elbow just because 'it's Elbow'. 

maybe not, but there'd be plenty there because they're 'the headliners'.  they've toured arenas, played all the other big slots at the festival, people like 'em.

it'd not be my thing, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility i reckon.

7 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

maybe not, but there'd be plenty there because they're 'the headliners'.  they've toured arenas, played all the other big slots at the festival, people like 'em.

They'll have to release another album full of songs that get used on trailers/winning sections of X Factor to have a chance. Something like the last two records isn't going to win them any new fans.  I don't see it myself.

28 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Maybe I'm underestimating their size but I can't imagine it 

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They'll have to release another album full of songs that get used on trailers/winning sections of X Factor to have a chance. Something like the last two records isn't going to win them any new fans.  I don't see it myself.

aye, forever stuck in the sub position every 4 or so years imo. at this point in their career i can't see them ever rising up to headliner status. they had their opportunity post-Seldom Seen Kid but blew it (but damn did they give it a good go with trying to replicate One Day Like This with Open Arms)

5 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

If Slaves ever headline Glastonbury I'll eat not only my own hat but the hats of every person on site. They'll never be big enough.

Also they're rubbish.

The equivalent of somebody 10 years ago suggesting the What's That Coming Over The Hill, Is It A Monster? band would headline.

3 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

The equivalent of somebody 10 years ago suggesting the What's That Coming Over The Hill, Is It A Monster? band would headline.

They did grace t'other stage with their untapped potential in 2007, rumour has it they were solely responsible for the weather 

Of Current 'underbill' bands - Tame Impala, Foals, Catfish, Maccabees seem the most likely to make the step up.  Probably all need another good album under their belts though.

The pop kids - Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, One Direction could conceivably headline now.

Not many other bands who haven't played could - but I guess - Foo's, Biffy, RHCP.

Otherwise we're back to the tried and tested stuff we get every few years a la Coldplay, Muse, etc.

6 hours ago, Nickyboy said:

Of Current 'underbill' bands - Tame Impala, Foals, Catfish, Maccabees seem the most likely to make the step up.  Probably all need another good album under their belts though.

The pop kids - Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, One Direction could conceivably headline now.

Not many other bands who haven't played could - but I guess - Foo's, Biffy, RHCP.

Otherwise we're back to the tried and tested stuff we get every few years a la Coldplay, Muse, etc.

One Direction no longer exist and Glasto never ever ever book X Factor acts anyway.

5 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

One Direction no longer exist and Glasto never ever ever book X Factor acts anyway.

i know it was Pop Idol but they did book Will Young, and have done so since a couple of times, although it was obviously much lower down the Pyramid, and i know there's not a chance they'd ever book One Direction :P 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

i know it was Pop Idol but they did book Will Young, and have done so since a couple of times, although it was obviously much lower down the Pyramid, and i know there's not a chance they'd ever book One Direction :P 

I wouldn't be so sure on the One Direction front! Obviously there isn't much precedent at all for that kind of booking, but with the festival seemingly looking to revitalise and diversify itself, that kind of booking, as one of the headliners, in a few years time (should they get back together) wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

It's not something I'd go for myself, but means I'd almost be guaranteed a night away from the Pyramid (I had to qualify that with 'almost' - the other half is a big 1D fan. I'd obviously state my case in the strongest possible terms, but we all know they tend to get their way in the end :rolleyes:)

Edited by djdavejohnson

23 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

I wouldn't be so sure on the One Direction front! Obviously there isn't much precedent at all for that kind of booking, but with the festival seemingly looking to revitalise and diversify itself, that king of booking, as one of the headliners, in a few years time (should they get back together) wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

It's not something I'd go for myself, but means I'd almost be guaranteed a night away from the Pyramid (I had to qualify that with 'almost' - the other half is a big 1D fan. I'd obviously state my case in the strongest possible terms, but we all know they tend to get their way in the end :rolleyes:)

I think what with Take That having not yet been booked to headline despite (I think?) being vocal about wanting to do it, we're safe on the One Direction front. If they're gonna book a big pop group to headline you'd definitely assume Take That would be the first go-to (but hopefully with Robbie in tow and not just this shitty three of em that it is now)

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I think what with Take That having not yet been booked to headline despite (I think?) being vocal about wanting to do it, we're safe on the One Direction front. If they're gonna book a big pop group to headline you'd definitely assume Take That would be the first go-to (but hopefully with Robbie in tow and not just this shitty three of em that it is now)

Good point, but maybe that is the sticking point, not being able to get Robbie involved. Plus as much as Take That have a pop 'legacy', 1D are (were) pretty untouchable, at least in a contemporary sense. Biggest band in the world for a good 5 years(?) or so.

They took a punt with Metallica, then took a punt with Kanye - is pop really that untouchable? To me it feels like gradually over the last few years the undercard has increasingly been littered with pop acts, or has this always been the case (I've only been attending since 2013)?

It's all speculative of course, although was it Niall who was spotted at the side of the Pyramid last year? Could just have been a punter (guest) of course. Hmm....

42 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

I wouldn't be so sure on the One Direction front! Obviously there isn't much precedent at all for that kind of booking, but with the festival seemingly looking to revitalise and diversify itself, that kind of booking, as one of the headliners, in a few years time (should they get back together) wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Absolutely no chance of One Direction playing. The only big festival that would even consider them would be V. One thing that the festival has always fallen back on when booking their more mainstream acts is relative critical success. One Direction are almost universally derided, it would damage the credibility of the festival and I can't imagine Emily would ever go down that road. 

22 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Absolutely no chance of One Direction playing. The only big festival that would even consider them would be V. One thing that the festival has always fallen back on when booking their more mainstream acts is relative critical success. One Direction are almost universally derided, it would damage the credibility of the festival and I can't imagine Emily would ever go down that road. 

Are they musically that much different from somebody like Ellie Goulding, for example, who has played twice over the last 2/3 years? That much different from Pharrell Williams? Paloma Faith? Years & Years?

I guess the one big difference is that 1D were put together on a 'talent' show - is that something that, on the balance of things, is a big consideration when the Eavii weigh up their booking options?

Agreed I think the chance of them ever being booked is minimal, my point above being having said that it wouldn't necessarily surprise me if it ever was to happen.

20 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Are they musically that much different from somebody like Ellie Goulding, for example, who has played twice over the last 2/3 years? That much different from Pharrell Williams? Paloma Faith? Years & Years?

I guess the one big difference is that 1D were put together on a 'talent' show - is that something that, on the balance of things, is a big consideration when the Eavii weigh up their booking options?

Agreed I think the chance of them ever being booked is minimal, my point above being having said that it wouldn't necessarily surprise me if it ever was to happen.

None of those acts headlined which is the key difference. Plus Years and Years however shit they are qualify as more of a "band" and Pharrell still has some critical leeway from his work with N.E.R.D. 

11 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

None of those acts headlined which is the key difference. Plus Years and Years however shit they are qualify as more of a "band" and Pharrell still has some critical leeway from his work with N.E.R.D. 

True, true - I guess we'll have to see what happens! Tbh I don't really care who they book, my only concern is securing a ticket. Once I'm there I know I'll have a great time anyway :)

17 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Yeah, despite what anyone thinks of the actual finished product, he's principal songwriter and producer in his own right, rather than simply a vocalist who might have the occasional "co-songwriter" credit on his album tracks.  Whether "authenticity" really matters is of course debatable, but past evidence suggests that it really does make a difference to Glastonbury lineup positions.

Or to put it another way, he's a proper musician and that helps if you want to headline Glastonbury.

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, despite what anyone thinks of the actual finished product, he's principal songwriter and producer in his own right, rather than simply a vocalist who might have the occasional "co-songwriter" credit on his album tracks.  Whether "authenticity" really matters is of course debatable, but past evidence suggests that it really does make a difference to Glastonbury lineup positions.

Or to put it another way, he's a proper musician and that helps if you want to headline Glastonbury.

Agreed can't really argue with that, I just wonder if going forwards the Eavii could ever potentially consider a new direction (pardon the pun).