Future headliners

swede

14 hours ago, henry bear said:

I don't know where/how Pearl Jam would fit in at Glastonbury. They're obviously big enough to headline large shows, but I just don't think enough of their music is in the national consciousness for them to headline the Pyramid. And they're possibly too big to headline the Other Stage, certainly compared to this year's Other headliners. And I can't imagine them subbing the Pyramid. Which leaves them in no-mans land.

Which is what we've been saying about Depeche Mode for years too.

I think Pearl Jam could headline Other without it being too weird.  Can't imagine it being a H&S issue, even if they will be larger than some of the recent headliners.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, addicted2noise said:

Fun fact: Glass Animals are bigger in America than Catfish, Foals, Kasabian and The Courteeners. They could end up being a flavour of the month band but they can't be written off yet especially since they're the sort of act that takes a bit time to get into (a lot of people seem to be just getting into their last album despite coming out over a year ago)   

Fun Fact: Glass Animals will never headline the Pyramid Stage

33 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Which is what we've been saying about Depeche Mode for years too.

I think Pearl Jam could headline Other without it being too weird.  Can't imagine it being a H&S issue, even if they will be larger than some of the recent headliners.

But Henry Bear is right that it leaves them in no mans land.  Neither Depeche Mode nor Pearl Jam have reason to entertain the idea of playing slots at Glastonbury lower than Pyramid headline and it would be damaging to their ability to get larger spots at festivals. Pyramid field could handle headline acts all day but same rules apply to anyone before the last act.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

But Henry Bear is right that it leaves them in no mans land.  Neither Depeche Mode nor Pearl Jam have reason to entertain the idea of playing slots at Glastonbury lower than Pyramid headline and it would be damaging to their ability to get larger spots at festivals. Pyramid field could handle headline acts all day but same rules apply to anyone before the last act.

Yeah, I was unclear - I don't disagree with this. Only if the band decided they would take the Other slot, then it would work out fine, but I agree that it's highly unlikely they would.  Not everyone thinks the sun shines out of the festival's arse.  Why would they?

Edited by stuartbert two hats
typos

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, I was unclear - I don't disagreeagree with this. Only if the band decided they would take the Other slot, then it would work out fine, but I agree that it's highly unlikely they would.  Not everyone thinks the sun shines out of the festival's arse.  Why would they?

Nah I got that you weren't suggesting it. I was just kinda leaving it there in case anyone started thinking it a realistic possibility or a reason to rule them out of the top position. :P

I've only recently got into Glass Animals and really enjoying them but don't think they'll ever headline, or even sub, the Pyramid. They kinda remind me of a slow-burning Alt-J (slow-burning as in none of their albums thus far have become as massive as An Awesome Wave) and I think they'll reach similar heights if they release another solid album or two. Could see them headlining John Peel in a few years with headline other or third down Pyramid as their peak. Not sure if they'd suit the stage entirely but maaaaybe a potential high billing on West Holts too??

During Circa Waves' set, the lead singer said that they would be back and headlining in the future. Does anyone think they could make the step up (admittedly it would have to be after at least another 2 albums)? I just can't see it myself. Maybe a reading headliner eventually

2 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

During Circa Waves' set, the lead singer said that they would be back and headlining in the future. Does anyone think they could make the step up (admittedly it would have to be after at least another 2 albums)? I just can't see it myself. Maybe a reading headliner eventually

Sportbeat headliner if they're lucky.

34 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

Maybe if they'd been playing JPT.

On 04/08/2017 at 8:41 PM, Meerkat said:

I didn't think their last album was very good but I thought the same about Catfish and the Bottlemen and it didn't seem to affect them. Maybe people are less picky but I'd love it if a new band came along and released something as good as Aha Shake Heartbreak.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Just about all, surely?

When i was a kid the highest aim was to play Hammersmith Odeon (or maybe I just had limited vision? :P), but today there's no greater marker of having "made it" than headlining Glastonbury.

Yeah aside from ones for whom headlining Glastonbury would be a weird result of compromising and conforming like Death Grips or summat.