Future headliners

swede

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

yep.  it'd never happen.  i'm as resigned to that as i am this board suggesting bog standard indie rockers knocking out four minutes of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-middle eight-chorus gubbins for eternity.

Kate Bush wouldn't do bog standard gubbins and could easily command the stage. Pity my fantasy is only slightly more likely to come true than yours.

Where would a proper Aphex Twin set be positioned if he decided to do proper live stuff again? Other? W Holts? Park? Ironically he seems far too challenging an act to ever play JP.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Kate Bush wouldn't do bog standard gubbins and could easily command the stage. Pity my fantasy is only slightly more likely to come true than yours.

Where would a proper Aphex Twin set be positioned if he decided to do proper live stuff again? Other? W Holts? Park? Ironically he seems far too challenging an act to ever play JP.

West Holts I'd think. He'd be a relatively big draw. 

8 hours ago, bsolxiv said:

Smiths reunion?

We can dream. Unfortunately it seems it will only ever be a dream.

51 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

How long till they consider the calvin Harris type route? 

I hope it's a very very long time.

Would it have been acceptable in the 80's?

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'd say fortunately, the reality of Morrissey and Marr playing those songs together in 2016 would be extremely painful for all.

And I can't imagine the other two joining in, even if Morrissey and Marr did want to do it. 

Not one I'm bothered about, can't see it being a glorious reunion.

15 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Shirly Aphex Twin would command and Other headline spot? Shirley.

I'm not so sure about that, I have no doubt if he was to do a proper full live get up it would draw a big crowd, but not sure it would quite be other headline material 

Which is a shame, cause it fucking should be

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

And I can't imagine the other two joining in, even if Morrissey and Marr did want to do it. 

There is a light that never goes out.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Rourke and Joyce are the only two who would actually want it.

And Mozza wouldn't let them in.

Drake has numerous multi-platinum and top 10 albums/mixtapes, hit singles, and as I type this, the longest running UK no.1 in 22 years (since Wet Wet Wet's "Love Is All Around", fact fans)

it's only a matter of time before he headlines one of the major UK festivals. somewhere else will probably get him before Glastonbury, but you never know. Kanye probably killed a risky booking like that for 2017 though,  so we'll probably end up with Muse again or something...

Edited by ghostdancer1

4 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I think the issue for Wolf Alice will be that the first album was a bit of a melting pot of different types of indie. It felt a lot like a homage to their influences, the next album will probably see them pick a direction, just depends if they're able to pull it off. Fingers crossed though, they're already a great live act and Ellie is a terrific performer. 

And she's braw as fuck. 

6 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Drake has numerous multi-platinum and top 10 albums/mixtapes, hit singles, and as I type this, the longest running UK no.1 in 22 years (since Wet Wet Wet's "Love Is All Around", fact fans)

it's only a matter of time before he headlines one of the major UK festivals. somewhere else will probably get him before Glastonbury, but you never know. Kanye probably killed a risky booking like that for 2017 though,  so we'll probably end up with Muse again or something...

Kanye was headline sized for years before they booked him, I reckon they were very careful to book your hippy hoppers before, and will be even more careful now. Which is a great shame.

The thing with a lot of 'current' acts, is no one knows what the future holds. A next album *could* send any of them stratospheric. On the other hand, they could sink without trace. 

Of the more established acts, Foos are likely before too long, and I'd agree Kate Bush and Depeche Mode would be good. I'd also add Tom Petty and Pearl Jam to the list of potentials. 

I see it as can the act work as a headliner. Some acts I can't see past ever being anything but daytime music, I.e Jess Glynne, Bastille. The 1975 I can see subbing one day in the future but headlining I can't see. Depending on material, popularity and actual quality of what's being put out I could see Drake, Tame Impala, The XX, Queens of the Stone Age, Ed Sheeran and Foals being future regular headliners across the UK fest scene, Drake being by far the biggest act out of them and having already headlined Wireless (not really a festival I know) twice has sort of already cemented him as headliner sized anyway. But next time around albums for those mentioned I can see them headlining

44 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

The thing with a lot of 'current' acts, is no one knows what the future holds. A next album *could* send any of them stratospheric. On the other hand, they could sink without trace. 

Of the more established acts, Foos are likely before too long, and I'd agree Kate Bush and Depeche Mode would be good. I'd also add Tom Petty and Pearl Jam to the list of potentials. 

Tom Petty's legend's slot. Pearl Jam aren't a Glastonbury headliner.

The only drake tune I know is that Hotline Bling tune. If thats indicative of his output then he can sling it.

Kendrick Lemar talks about proper issues, from what Ive seen is a genuinely interesting and engaging artist. I'd be all for him headlining. I suspect an Other Stage headline or Pyramid 2nd / 3rd down is more likely.

Thing is, as long as it's not Coldplay or anyone else who has headlined this decade - I am ok with it. Including Ed "Fucking Shit" Sheeran. I dont care how well received Coldplay and Muse were, the bookings were lazy house band bookings. 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Kendrick Lemar talks about proper issues, from what Ive seen is a genuinely interesting and engaging artist. I'd be all for him headlining. I suspect an Other Stage headline or Pyramid 2nd / 3rd down is more likely

my bet is that he'll take a break from touring next year and return to headline Reading/Leeds in 2018/19. Glastonbury will no doubt wait a bit longer and get him further down the line. i look forward to it greatly. one of the few all round acts in the world right now who seems totally bankable to continue to release fantastic music/not fuck it up

8 hours ago, mr gumby said:

I'd say the chances on Kate Bush ever doing it have diminished to nothing now, would she really have any reason I'm doing it, I don't think so. 

Pearl Jam command quite a big fee, but festivals get their monies worth as they play for 3hrs plus regularly, neither of they things are going to happen at Glastonbury, so score than one out. 

There seems to be an argument every year here whether Depeche Mode would headline or not, they still hold their headliner status is continental Europe, and play and some big arena shows here, and as much as I'm sure the festival has approached them in the past to headline, I'd be on the side of taking some convincing that they'd still headline outright