Future headliners

swede

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I would have had Biffy down too but doubt they would headline now unfortunately. I just hope next year is a fresh set of headliners rather than returning ones. 

well according to Eavis it's two returning ones and one new one. guess we can just hope that he's including Foos or the Roses in the 'returning' bracket

Edited by FloorFiller

If the future here is 3-5 years down the line than UK acts the likes of Wolf Alice, 1975, Royal Blood, and Bastille would need either 2 more good albums or 1 more standout (like Mumford) to get thier chance. Obvious big artists like Swift, Rhianna, The National, and Sia (!) could headline now as first times - not sure Kendrick will fits the bill yet.

Other abroad acts I think may get there in near future with 1 or 2 more big albums as first timers are Alabama Shakes, Black Keys, Haim, Paramore, Vampire Weekend, Pharrell Williams, Tame Impala and Spoon (in my dreams I think!) 

Just now, Stokesy10 said:

In my personal opinion, I am amazed they Green Day have never played at/headlined Glasto. They are unreal live and put on a great show. They have an enormous back catalogue of superb tracks.

pop/punk just isn't something that's represented at Glastonbury - Reading/Leeds have the hold on that - so it would be odd for them to book a headliner of that genre

Just now, FloorFiller said:

pop/punk just isn't something that's represented at Glastonbury - Reading/Leeds have the hold on that - so it would be odd for them to book a headliner of that genre

Maybe. But would you have said metal wasn't something that's represented at Glasto before Metallica? 

They definitely have the range of tunes for it to be a success. Proper heavy rock stuff (Hitchin A Ride, for example), ballad/slow popular stuff (Time of your life), "anthem" type stuff also. It is very unlikely of course. I'd be absolutely loving it. One if my must see bands before they give it up. Amazing how long they've been going. 

Just now, Stokesy10 said:

Maybe. But would you have said metal wasn't something that's represented at Glasto before Metallica? 

They definitely have the range of tunes for it to be a success. Proper heavy rock stuff (Hitchin A Ride, for example), ballad/slow popular stuff (Time of your life), "anthem" type stuff also. It is very unlikely of course. I'd be absolutely loving it. One if my must see bands before they give it up. Amazing how long they've been going. 

i think if they were gonna be booked it would've happened by now and would've happened around American Idiot/21st Century Breakdown - unfortunately that trio of albums they released in 2012 kind of fucked it for them and they've sunk somewhat back in to irrelevance. although they managed to crawl their way back to the top once so there's nothing to say they couldn't do it again!

Just now, FloorFiller said:

i think if they were gonna be booked it would've happened by now and would've happened around American Idiot/21st Century Breakdown - unfortunately that trio of albums they released in 2012 kind of fucked it for them and they've sunk somewhat back in to irrelevance. although they managed to crawl their way back to the top once so there's nothing to say they couldn't do it again!

Yeh very true, it does seem well past any possibility. I genuinely think Glasto have missed a trick there personally.

Just now, blue6field said:

Any chance we could get Neil Young back next year?

2009 was his last time, his latest shows have been amazing! Seems totally reinvigorated touring with promise of the real!

doesn't seem likely - with the older/legendary acts they seem to get one pop at it and that's it. obviously that went out the window a bit with The Who last year, but they obviously weren't the first choice and the festival was left with no other option. Neil Young doesn't exactly seem like he'd be a top priority for the festival

The only 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

doesn't seem likely - with the older/legendary acts they seem to get one pop at it and that's it. obviously that went out the window a bit with The Who last year, but they obviously weren't the first choice and the festival was left with no other option. Neil Young doesn't exactly seem like he'd be a top priority for the festival

The only legendary act I can see returning is McCartney. Not saying they'd chase him, but If he wants to play, they wouldn't turn him down.

Plus he has enough tunes to do a completely different set

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

32 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

Biffy have gone backwards. 

They headlined Reading on their own in 2013, now they can only co-headline. They're not even headlining Benicassim. Can't see them ever headlining Glastonbury now

Biffy are not big anywhere in Europe. Their placements this year are actually as high as they ever been :D

20 minutes ago, kevbizarre said:

If the future here is 3-5 years down the line than UK acts the likes of Wolf Alice, 1975, Royal Blood, and Bastille would need either 2 more good albums or 1 more standout (like Mumford) to get thier chance. Obvious big artists like Swift, Rhianna, The National, and Sia (!) could headline now as first times - not sure Kendrick will fits the bill yet.

Other abroad acts I think may get there in near future with 1 or 2 more big albums as first timers are Alabama Shakes, Black Keys, Haim, Paramore, Vampire Weekend, Pharrell Williams, Tame Impala and Spoon (in my dreams I think!) 

lol

Edited by jonodillieono

Tame Impala and Foals are certainties to headline the next time they play I reckon. Would love to see TI don't but I'm really ambivalent towards Foals. TUses like What Went Down and Inhaler are huge, but I dontnundeetand why they don't have more like them, the rest of their stuff is really unforgettable jangly rubbish. I was really liking forward to seeing them this year, those two songs in particular, because I'd heard they were reply nailing it as a live band, but they were absolutely rubbish. All mouth and no trousers. 

Tame Impala on the other hand, were absolutly fantastic. Another album like Currents under their belt and they'll be more than worthy of a Friday Pyramid headline slot. 

As for Wolf Alice/Royal Blood, while I'm a huge fan of both, I just can't see them getting enough mainstream attention to get them to Pyramid headliner status. Both future Other headliners for sure though. 

33 minutes ago, kevbizarre said:

One of these things is not like the others...

18 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Biffy are not big anywhere in Europe. Their placements this year are actually as high as they ever been :D

ha, well Benicassim is mostly British attendees anyway so I thought they would have headlined that. 

Wolf Alice's jump from mid-Park to mid-Pyramid without a new album in between is pretty impressive. i know the album was released mere days before the festival last year and they've gained a lot of momentum since, but out of all the acts being mentioned they seem like the one that could get the bump up in two albums time imo

2 hours ago, rpfranks said:

Jamie T peaked in 2006, yes he is still popular but by no means will he ever be a major festival headliner

Released his debut album in 2007.  His last album in 2014 was his biggest yet, last year he drew one of the biggest crowds the Other stage has seen.  No idea how you come to the conclusion he peaked apparently around the time he released his first 2 singles and before any of his hits.

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

Released his debut album in 2007.  His last album in 2014 was his biggest yet, last year he drew one of the biggest crowds the Other stage has seen.  No idea how you come to the conclusion he peaked apparently around the time he released his first 2 singles and before any of his hits.

Well apologies, I got the year of his debut wrong.

What I meant was that he peaked on his debut and went down hill afterwards. Thanks to a several year break he is more popular now than he was after his second LP, but while I'm a fan of his I just don't think he will sustain the popularity he gained since he returned.

I'd love to see him high up bills but I think the most he will be able to do at Glastonbury is Other headline or about 3/4 down on the Pyramid.

12 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

Well apologies, I got the year of his debut wrong.

What I meant was that he peaked on his debut and went down hill afterwards. Thanks to a several year break he is more popular now than he was after his second LP, but while I'm a fan of his I just don't think he will sustain the popularity he gained since he returned.

I'd love to see him high up bills but I think the most he will be able to do at Glastonbury is Other headline or about 3/4 down on the Pyramid.

He'll sustain it by not waiting 5 years between albums, looks like he'll drop the next one some point before glasto next year, if it does well I could see him headlining the other next year