A note about car parks, security and mud

Bonneville88

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Regarding the car parks, its annoying yes, but its just the nature of car parks when a lot of people try and leave at once. I remember one christmas leaving Bluewater shopping centre last thing on a Sunday just as the shops shut, got stuck for about an hour for exactly the reason you describe, people returning to their cars parked nearer the exit and joining the queue ahead of you, it was gridlock but there is absolutely nothing that can be done, you cant have a steward at the end of every parking row telling people when they can join, its simply a case of leaving much earlier or much later than everybody else, or suck it up and accept you are part of the issue because you are trying to leave at the same time as everybody else wants to leave.

This. So much this with bells on.Traffic jams are things caused by other people too me. If only all these other people weren't here it'd all be fine.

I work in a youth hostel n the Lakes and I spend every Friday evening listening to people moan about the terrible traffic and how many hours it took them when it should only have taken this many hours, all the while biting my tongue to stop myself pointing out that they are the traffic

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find it reassuring to know that security can sometimes be a bit overzealous when it comes to tent thieves.. Can see your frustration, but similar to when your bank blocks your account because of a couple of unusual spends- annoying at the time but glad they do it

On the tipping drinks away at bars that does surprise me- never thought there was anywhere I could not take a drink from elsewhere in to!

8 hours ago, Wooderson said:

We (and loads of others) reluctantly left Sunday to avoid such Monday morning queueing. Swings and roundabouts.

We (and loads of others) happily left later Monday to avoid such Monday morning queuing.

As said earlier, the people who rush like sheep at peak times are the problem and then complaining about the experience afterwards seems somewhat daft.  Everyone knows that the better part of 200,000 people are going to be leaving the site between Sunday night and Monday afternoon, as with all things Glastonbury it is YOU that needs to adapt to the situation and not vice versa.

Fair enough, I know I'm moaning and it's annoying but I also want to help the situation if I can.

We got the train last year which was a nightmare in its own right and so many people had said driving was the best option. These same people who recommended driving were parked in roughly the same area, arrived at their car within an hour of us arriving at ours, yet got out in under 20 minutes. Seems like pot luck as much as it is me contributing to the problem.

At least I know for next year, I suppose.

I also agree that heavier handed security CAN be a good thing but that approach needs to be reviewed, you can't just grab someone for no reason. I would want someone thieving from my tent to be dealt with appropriately but security need to be sure by challenging them to describe the inside of their tent, for example (which i had to do in the end).

34 minutes ago, Bonneville88 said:

Fair enough, I know I'm moaning and it's annoying but I also want to help the situation if I can.

We got the train last year which was a nightmare in its own right and so many people had said driving was the best option. These same people who recommended driving were parked in roughly the same area, arrived at their car within an hour of us arriving at ours, yet got out in under 20 minutes. Seems like pot luck as much as it is me contributing to the problem.

I also agree that heavier handed security CAN be a good thing but that approach needs to be reviewed, you can't just grab someone for no reason. I would want someone thieving from my tent to be dealt with appropriately but security need to be sure by challenging them to describe the inside of their tent, for example (which i had to do in the end).

So maybe try coach next year? I imagine they get out without issue although you are stuck to their timetable. I guess as you didn't queue to get in that was a positive?

It's a bit of pot luck which car park you actually end up in though as to whether you get stuck for ages so can understand peoples frustrations. We ended up in pink 57 and left 10am Monday morning and drove out with minimal queuing and back in Bristol in under 2 hours but I imagine plenty were not as fortunate. 

1 hour ago, Bonneville88 said:

I'm wondering if someone alerted the stewards to the 'fact' that it wasn't your tent, perhaps your helpful neighbours? Seems quite odd that a steward would be so categorical that it wasn't your tent without some kind of info to that effect. 

It's kind of reassuring that a steward (who unlike security isn't trained for this sort of stuff) would be so persistent but must have been unpleasant to have been on the receiving end when completely innocent. 

Didn't think this warranted its own thread, but as we're talking about security, jesus christ, did anyone come across that complete asshole of a steward on the way in to gate A on Wednesday? I had the misfortune of encountering him at around 4:30pm on my way in.

He was screaming at the absolute top of his lungs at people, some people were cutting corners in line, but he was shouting at absolutely anyone close to anyone who was cutting in line - people who'd done absolutely nothing, some of my friends included - it was insane. He yelled at my friends for no reason at all, and made them go back in line (it was insanely muddy too, so not exactly an easy task) - I even confronted him to tell him that he can't speak to people who've done nothing wrong like that, honestly thought he was going to bite my head off, but just said that it was the only way people would listen - and he also said he knows they didn't do anything wrong! What the hell! Did anyone else see him? He had blonde hair and was middle aged. Such a bad start to the festival. 

14 hours ago, myers said:

it was about 9pm on saturday before we were heading out for new order on the other stage ....  there were `2 security guys in there.... one was from manchester same as me , he was alright wen he spoke to us but made it clear we had to take our beers out.... other guy was a massive fat fella... proper horrible with 666 tatted on his head ! hahaha... he kept hassling a young lad who was sleeping while sat on one ov the benches ! .threw him out eventually , . we couldn't understand why they didn't just leave him be... it wasn't busy and there was plenty of seats..just a nobhead basically.. . no its the one kinda in-between the walk from pyramid to the other i think... defo not near beat hotel etc

It's actually illegal to allow someone to sleep in a bar, and the same laws apply inside the festival as outside. 

Stewards from the cycling fields came round Darble Sunday morning, asking people to pack up their stuff when they leave or else bring it to their area for re-use, everyone in our field told them they were taking everything home, many obviously did not.  One mentioned that getting stuff to your car and moving it closer to the exit might be an idea as more rain was forecast,  but obviously most ignored that advice.

You know that the stewards and security have numbers on their jackets? This is to identify them. If you come across a particularly naughty one (or a particularly great one) then you can take that number and report the incident to the festival. 

On Tuesday my mother and I got split up from the rest of our family and ended up in a different campervan field to them. The steward who helped us back to them via the staff roads was amazing. We tweeted his number to the festival then subsequently ran into the campervan manager on the Monday and told her. She said he had been given a pay rise for being awesome the whole weekend! :) 

I agree with others about the parking/getting out thing - just the nature of the beast unfortunately, and I heard stories from this year in particular of some people waiting for much longer than four hours.

The security thing I'm more sympathetic about, he definitely should have let you prove it was your tent before getting physical. Why couldn't he have done that thing where he asked you what the inside looked like before restraining you? But then you don't know how your neighbours phrased it when reporting it to him. Good to look out for each other, obviously, but situations like this are (probably) avoidable on their part. 

Edited by johnomatic

5 minutes ago, bekimo said:

You know that the stewards and security have numbers on their jackets? This is to identify them. If you come across a particularly naughty one (or a particularly great one) then you can take that number and report the incident to the festival. 

On Tuesday my mother and I got split up from the rest of our family and ended up in a different campervan field to them. The steward who helped us back to them via the staff roads was amazing. We tweeted his number to the festival then subsequently ran into the campervan manager on the Monday and told her. She said he had been given a pay rise for being awesome the whole weekend! :) 

Great post. :)

It's easy to remember the negative encounters with staff at the festival but those great moments need recognition too. I'll be remembering to make a note of those numbers to thank those who have gone above and beyond for future festivals. :)

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Not something I've ever done but a lot of people take 90% of their stuff back to their car at some point on Sunday and at the same time also move it closer to the exit. Maybe something for the OP to consider next year.

wouldnt bother with that personally , my friend wasted 6 hours of his festival on the sunday doing just this , and then a further 2 hours getting out after the headliners , we sailed out peak time mon in 1 hour !! I suppose this is just luck but I take my chances when I leave

4th time on the coach this year(3 on see 1 on Nat express). I'll never take the car again. Arrived Thursday morning expecting a horror journey, nothing of the sort. Only times the wheels stopped turning was in the services for our comfort break then our final destination outside gate A.  Same on the way home, waited 20 min in the pen, coach arrived fully loaded in a further half hour and we were away. Sleep, services, home.

Thanks to all staff manning the coach park. It's getting more organised every year

2 hours ago, justperfect said:

4th time on the coach this year(3 on see 1 on Nat express). I'll never take the car again. Arrived Thursday morning expecting a horror journey, nothing of the sort. Only times the wheels stopped turning was in the services for our comfort break then our final destination outside gate A.  Same on the way home, waited 20 min in the pen, coach arrived fully loaded in a further half hour and we were away. Sleep, services, home.

Thanks to all staff manning the coach park. It's getting more organised every year

Coach is my favoured way of arriving as well. In the past I've used car, motorbike and train to arrive and coach has proved the least hassle of them all. Especially since I've camped near Gate A for the last few years. 

Not really that practical if you like to take a 20 kilo tent and a shed load of beer, but if you don't there's so much going for it. Dedicated routes closer to the festival, priority entrance at Gate A and no more than a 200 metre walk to the gate. And you don't have to worry about the state you're in on Monday morning. :)

Edited by musky

10 hours ago, Spindles said:

We (and loads of others) happily left later Monday to avoid such Monday morning queuing.

As said earlier, the people who rush like sheep at peak times are the problem and then complaining about the experience afterwards seems somewhat daft.  Everyone knows that the better part of 200,000 people are going to be leaving the site between Sunday night and Monday afternoon, as with all things Glastonbury it is YOU that needs to adapt to the situation and not vice versa.

Precisely mate.

10 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

Complain all you like when it takes you 14 hours from BRISTOL! That was the journey one of the bar staff had that I was chatting to on Weds.  It made mine pale in comparison

18 hours from Tewkesbury - no complaints (I just wish I stayed at the campsite I had booked for Tuesday night! - kipping against my car window on the A37 wasnt quite as comfy!) :lol:

We were lucky on the queues in and out, as we camp at Greenacres on the Tuesday and the road from there brings you directly opposite bronze gate (which we would usually go through into yellow car parks), but as this is now VIP just drove a few yards down the road into Orange and was parked on orange 37 so not so bad this was abut 6.45am.

They had already opened the gates by then so by time loaded the trollies it was was an hour from setting off from car to getting through gate D which I thought was fine despite the drizzle..up to our usual spot in Paines ground were our friends were half set up by 8.45am so all good

On way out we always leave around 5-6pm this year was no different and we were straight out car parks with ease, but did have 4 hour+ journey to Manchester

The only downer for me was thieving b*stards coming into my tent on 1st night taking phone, camera and some cash but what can you do...luckily everything else was in lock ups and they didn't get the fella's stuff which is probably cos I woke up when they were in the tent but didn't realise it at the time (my speedo fitbit tells me my sleep patterns totally insane & it shows I woke up around the time others found people in their tents :()

21 hours from Lincolnshire! We were still laughing at 7 am Wednesday when we got onsite. Not ideal but we were just happy to have been lucky enough to get tickets again. I'm sure a lot of ticketless would have swapped places with us in a heartbeat so we didn't let it get us down. 

Soryy for going off topic slightly. 

The most lovely girl ever was situated in West Pink car park. She was stopping traffic and fairly letting everyone join the main queue. Absolute stellar job. Getting in was hideous. 14 hours for what should have been a 2 hour trip. Getting out took 4 hours but would have been a lot longer if it wasn't for her. I think I nearly shed a tear when she let me in to the queue. The stewards in my eyes don't get enough recognition!