Frank Ocean

FloorFiller

59 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

I have a feeling Glasto might just pass on him this time round like they've been doing for a while with kendrick lamar. He'll be headlining coachella and wireless i bet.

co-headlining a night with Bon Iver apparently

(speculations from the coachella boards)

Edited by Matt42

You know people who moan about modern music all being homogenous and no individuals left in the music industry. All this stuff about 'who are the headlners of tomorrow', it's all so anodyne now etc etc.

Frank Ocean and Bon Iver co-headlining is a big fuck off to that idea right there.  

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

808s & Heartbreaks has a lot to answer for....

I dunno...I've not heard this yet, but it remains to be seen how closely Joe Public clasp it to their collective bosom.  Anti stiffed a bit.  This could well wind up the c21 Neither Fish nor Flesh.

apparently on it's way to number one this week, but i can see it dropping off pretty quickly after that as everybody realises there isn't a banger to be heard, and imagine a large portion of his fanbase has been left disappointed/underwhelmed. i know it's too soon to be thinking of his next project, but it'll be interesting to see where he goes from here

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, priest17 said:

It's now on Spotify so I've finally listened, better than I expected after everything I've read.

It's a great album. I could see how people could be turned off by it due to its downbeat nature, but it's only grown and grown for me. Self Control especiallly has not left my head since first listen. Incredible song. God I hope he tours and/or plays Glastonbury

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

It's a great album. I could see how people could be turned off by it due to its downbeat nature, but it's only grown and grown for me. Self Control especiallly has not left my head since first listen. Incredible song. God I hope he tours and/or plays Glastonbury

I managed to listen to it a couple of times without going going back to nick cave so it's doing something right, I really like it. Really mature R&B, it's brilliant, hope he's at Glastonbury. Find myself wondering when/if Andre 3k will bring out some of his own stuff! 

As for people turned off from it being downbeat I've learned it's usually these albums that become people's favorites (humbug anyone?) so I don't think he has anything to worry about. Not sure where I'd put him at Glastonbury, the obvious choice seems tame impala's spot from last year (for me anyway) but I'd love to see him in the dark. 

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

http://loveboxfestival.com/

Frank Ocean is headlining Lovebox as a London exclusive. it's very possibly back on! back to predicting where he's gonna play on the lineup then...

Yeah I'd say that makes him pretty likely now then? He's not going to be playing Download..

Just now, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah I'd say that makes him pretty likely now then? He's not going to be playing Download..

yep Wireless was the main competitor really and now they're out with that London exclusive tag. unless i'm missing another festival that he could likely do then Glastonbury very much looks on the cards :D 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

yep Wireless was the main competitor really and now they're out with that London exclusive tag. unless i'm missing another festival that he could likely do then Glastonbury very much looks on the cards :D 

V and Parklife are the only other ones that seem remotely possible but he'd go down like a led balloon at both of those. Has to be the G

Edited by Zac Quinn

Just now, Zac Quinn said:

V and Parklife are the only other ones that seem remotely possible but he'd go down like a led balloon there. Has to be the G

shite i'd forgotten Parklife - they've swooped in and gotten great acts in the past so i could very much see him popping up there, but i hope not

where on the lineup then? Pyramid sub? third? Other headliner? sub? with his new album being so mellow and us having no idea how his live show will be he's pretty hard to place

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

shite i'd forgotten Parklife - they've swooped in and gotten great acts in the past so i could very much see him popping up there, but i hope not

where on the lineup then? Pyramid sub? third? Other headliner? sub? with his new album being so mellow and us having no idea how his live show will be he's pretty hard to place

I think Other sub personally but he could be nicked by Parklife.