Frank Ocean

FloorFiller

For me it wasn't such a bad experience because I didn't know any of the songs. I like to get surprised by artists that I don't know too well. If you're headlining a festival you have to have that ability. For me it was the performance of the songs: restarting, weird talking and all that stuff. It reminded me of Kanye in a sense that it felt like I'm watching an ego totally taking control over the performance. 

12 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah as I said the other day, I always thought Endless was him taking the piss to get out of his old record contract so I'm surprised to say the least that any of that has turned up in setlists a year later let alone at the expense of Pyramids etc. I really hope he isn't going to become one of these tossers that refuses to play songs people know just because people know them. Really sorry you had such a bad night man.

Cheers but Run The Jewels were amazing and I had a good time making friends in the crowd so I didn't have a bad time, just got nothing out of Frank's set. If he hadn't shown up that would have been more frustrating, that way I'd have thought I'd missed out on something amazing. If you see enough acts you're gonna be disappointed at times so just one of those things. Was still a top weekend regardless, I doubt they'll pull off a lineup that good again.

59 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I spoke through the whole thing from about 15 mins in after he'd shown up 35 minutes late and then started playing a fucking mess of a set with no acknowledgement from him that he'd shown up late. I think he started Solo again twice. Dickhead. Don't knock the crowd if you weren't there cos you don't know what it was like, I've been to plenty of gigs and festivals and I've never once not paid a set full attention but this didn't deserve it at all. The 1975 the night before were incredible (seriously that set belonged headlining Glastonbury) and the crowd was great. I've lost all respect for Frank though and I urge people not to buy tickets for him in future.

What about the people around you who paid good money to be there and probably didn't want to have people around them talking over the set? It isn't just the artist you're being disrespectful/annoying to if you stand talking through their set. I've had festival sets tainted by people in the crowd who aren't interested just chatting through it.

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

What about the people around you who paid good money to be there and probably didn't want to have people around them talking over the set? It isn't just the artist you're being disrespectful/annoying to if you stand talking through their set. I've had festival sets tainted by people in the crowd who aren't interested just chatting through it.

Pretty much everyone were talking to each other. I'm not gonna make a case for talking through sets, yeah probably not the best thing to do but in this case I don't think I personally ruined it for anyone. We were quite far back so it might have been a different atmosphere at the front. The fella behind me was having a conversation about the video game Portal so I spoke to him about how shit Frank was only for him to say he was enjoying it, which was bizarre.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, turned up late and played the same setlist as the other festivals - I enjoyed it at first because I was absolutely not sober, but honestly it just felt absurd by the end. I'd made the setlist into a Spotify playlist beforehand, so was absolutely expecting those songs so maybe it's my own fault. 

I'm a big Frank fan, and think Blonde is a brilliant album, but it does not translate well to a festival headline set. Even the big screens were playing video feeds with some kind of night vision type filter on. Just felt like w*nkery to be honest. 

Jamie xx should have been headlining, thought he absolutely smashed it just before (as he always does). 

Edited by Zacko

I was surrounded by a lot of people off their faces wanting a dance. I don't know what they were expecting, but I think all the other stages had finished so they had no choice but to see Frank. Some of them were filming the video screens not even realising he was performing on a podium in the middle of the crowd. Was quite funny when they clocked on 3/4 way through the set.

I enjoyed parts of it, but other parts were a mess. And 30 mins late takes the piss - I was expecting that to happen after reading about other festivals, but that just makes it worse - he must be doing it on purpose.

He'd be better suited to playing smaller venues with an absurdly high ticket price to suit his ego - he'd still fill it with his devotees. (The queues for £50 Blonded t-shirts at Lovebox were huge)

• 2 weeks later...

Someone has edited together crowd clips to make his FYF performance look like one seamless visual film.

It gives you a very good idea of what his live show is like for people who haven't been able to see it.

I thought (and still do think) it's an amazing, if somewhat surreal show he's doing on this tour. A piece of art rather than a gig is how I feel.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6di47WfVb2Xa0NkeG5vQTBGWmc/view

Also I don't get why people are still going expecting a banger fest after reading about his other performances on this tour. It's not gonna happen.

I'm surprised that anyone who's a fan of Blonde wasn't enthralled by it. I was starstruck at parklife (probably influenced by the fact it had looked like he was gonna pull out all weekend).

2 hours ago, ConorC said:

Also I don't get why people are still going expecting a banger fest after reading about his other performances on this tour. It's not gonna happen.

I'm surprised that anyone who's a fan of Blonde wasn't enthralled by it. I was starstruck at parklife (probably influenced by the fact it had looked like he was gonna pull out all weekend).

As big of a fan of Blonde as I am, I'm an even bigger fan of Channel Orange and didn't get the chance to see him on that tour, so him omitting everything but one song from that album is gonna annoy me (and many others who bought tickets to see him). If he wants to play almost all new material then that's fine, but he must've known he was always gonna receive mixed reception in doing so, especially with the incredibly downbeat show he's putting on to headline festivals.

16 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

As big of a fan of Blonde as I am, I'm an even bigger fan of Channel Orange and didn't get the chance to see him on that tour, so him omitting everything but one song from that album is gonna annoy me (and many others who bought tickets to see him). If he wants to play almost all new material then that's fine, but he must've known he was always gonna receive mixed reception in doing so, especially with the incredibly downbeat show he's putting on to headline festivals.

The Channel Orange tunes don't really fit in with the vibe he's trying to create with his production though (unless he does slow down mixes like 'Thinkin' bout you'). He didn't play it at Parklife so dunno how Pyramids has been sounding or whether he's been remixing that too, but I'm confident it would sound out of place to the rest of the set.

I think the fact he hasn't played it safe is something to be commended rather than scorned. Next album we're probably looking at another completely new direction.

3 minutes ago, ConorC said:

I think the fact he hasn't played it safe is something to be commended rather than scorned. Next album we're probably looking at another completely new direction.

2023 can't come soon enough

to be fair during that 'hiatus' he made two albums and he was still only MIA for what, three years? Four years and one month between the releases of Channel Orange and Endless/Blonde. So the next record should hopefully be here by early 2019-ish..

2 hours ago, ConorC said:

grand as long as it's more interesting than those standalone songs he's been doing this year eh

Just now, Zac Quinn said:

to be fair during that 'hiatus' he made two albums and he was still only MIA for what, three years? Four years and one month between the releases of Channel Orange and Endless/Blonde. So the next record should hopefully be here by early 2019-ish..

grand as long as it's more interesting than those standalone songs he's been doing this year eh

Each to their own, Biking and Chanel are some of my favourite work he's done.

Just reading this managed to bring back the memories of his set at Parklife. Between the lateness arriving on stage, restarting songs, setlist and poor sound it was the single worst live performance I've ever seen. Such a huge disappointment from somebody I had been waiting years to see. We even sold our Lovebox tickets because we couldn't deal with watching it again. I'll 100% be sticking to his records and not performances in future.

• 2 years later...

Had a listen last night, will take some time to warm to it I suppose but didn’t blow me away on the first few listens. Assuming the artwork bottom right could be the number of songs on the upcoming album? 

Think Frank is also in the super sub/not so super headliner bracket. And going off live performances at other festivals he seems to come with a high level of risk.

Other headliner would suit him best I’d think, but would assume there’s little to no chance he’s there. 

But him and Tyler heading over to the festival together in June would be amazing.