Frank Ocean

FloorFiller

I saw Frank Ocean at Le Zenith in Paris 3 years ago. Musically it was excellent. But it was a strange vibe. The crowd was full of screaming girls with their cellphones up THE ENTIRE GIG. 

The band just play completely still. And he only walks a bit around the stage. Not much crowd interaction. The screen behind him showed a car going through and endless road. That was it. 

I felt a bit like an outsider. Still enjoyed the music, but kind of a weird dry performance.

With more prominent shows worldwide in support of this record, I expect that Frank's shows will pick up. Interesting to hear tho. The screaming girls with their cameras in the air unfortunately doesn't surprise me.

I saw him at Rock Werchter in 2013 and, whilst I can't really remember what the show was like now, I remember thinking it was good. Don't recall feeling any kinda strange vibe, either.

I know that doesn't really add much but hopefully allays any fears of his shows being a poor live experience.

I've seen great shows where the band play standing still and the frontman doesn't talk a lot. The Cure, for example (random example as I'm listening to them at the moment), are one of the best bands I've ever seen and they just play the songs and fuck off.

2 minutes ago, Calvin Klein said:

Yeah, that really doesn't bother me. I just felt a general emptiness. Crowds are very important to me at gigs and it just felt like most people were there to post a few pictures and videos on facebook. Hard to explain. I'd still see him again because I love his music.

Yeah I get what you mean in terms of the crowd and it doesn't surprise me that a Frank Ocean crowd would be like that, though I can't remember how the crowd was when I saw him. 

Just now, FloorFiller said:

yeah today would obviously make the most sense, but nothing stopping it coming out at the weekend - man'll do what he wants. can't wait to see the internet break when this album drops

To be fair from that pic he released I was expecting something smaller this month and then the album in Nov, so guess he could easily still drop a track/announcement/teaser or something.

3 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

To be fair from that pic he released I was expecting something smaller this month and then the album in Nov, so guess he could easily still drop a track/announcement/teaser or something.

aye i was more drawn to the November date but dental said somebody in his PR team said it was a mistake (although seems an odd/unlikely mistake to make)

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

aye i was more drawn to the November date but dental said somebody in his PR team said it was a mistake (although seems an odd/unlikely mistake to make)

Oh I thought he'd just assumed it was a mistake because of where it was placed, but fair enough if so. I'd have thought they'd have noticed the mistake before putting it out tbh.

His PR team confirmed July to Billboard IIRC but they've done that before and it never came out.

That November date is a mistake though ffs. I mean, you've got that it's a Sunday and all the others are Fridays (as would the 2015 equivalent have been), the placement, the fact that the other dates are weeks apart from each other and November would be a four month jump for the final thing and obviously, most of all, how the last date is July 2016 with the date crossed out so as to not give a concrete release date.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

His PR team confirmed July to Billboard IIRC but they've done that before and it never came out.

That November date is a mistake though ffs. I mean, you've got that it's a Sunday and all the others are Fridays (as would the 2015 equivalent have been), the placement, the fact that the other dates are weeks apart from each other and November would be a four month jump for the final thing and obviously, most of all, how the last date is July 2016 with the date crossed out so as to not give a concrete release date.

Fair enough. Just seems dumb how no one realised before putting the pic out when pretty much everyone who saw the pic once released saw it said Nov 16.

On 7/29/2016 at 10:04 PM, FloorFiller said:

goddamnit i need to go to bed early-ish cause i'm in work tomorrow but i don't want to miss this album potentially being dropped tonight (even though it probably won't). he's such a fucker

Not gonna happen, buddy. If he has any PR, they're clearly absolute fucking shite. 

thought i'd give it last one go on his website to see if anything happened overnight, and the top half of it has now gone black with 'Endless' written below it. i have no idea what this means. live stream of the album to appear? or just an endless cycle of nothing? people on his Reddit seem to have heard sporadic noises but i haven't heard shit. something is happening either way

edit: just checked on my phone and there's a video/live stream of some equipment set up. yeeeee... something

Edited by FloorFiller

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

Is it not a video on loop? I read that it is. Unless it's something different now.

FFS, I didn't even know about him until I started on this thread, and now I'm keeping an eye on a looped video of an empty set of desks.  Damn you eFests!!! ;)