Frank Ocean

FloorFiller

Was wary about starting a new thread, but fuck it. No, no tour dates have been announced, BUT...

https://boysdontcry.co/

Website updated with a supposed album release date of THIS MONTH (no specific day given)

Album title also officially seems to be Boys Don't Cry after he massively hinted at it last year

Please can we have him at Glastobury? Pretty please? Somewhere? Anywhere!?

(Apologies if anybody's heart stopped for a second upon seeing a thread with his name in the title :P)

boys don't cry.jpg

1 minute ago, Mezhyp1 said:

This is 100% the most important record of this year

yep, in a year already chock full of pretty huge records, for me this tops them all (yes, even Radiohead... maybe)

now to just sit patiently at my computer waiting for it to drop for up to 29 days

8 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Where would he be put at Glastonbury? As much as I love the bloke, I just dont know where he'd fit. He's big, but I just don't see him as a Pyramid act. My cousin watched him at T in the Park and said he looked lost up there.

The years have gone by though; more people have been exposed to him and he would probably have a much more receptive crowd.

Pyramid sub could be a goer. Said Other headline for a couple of years now but I dunno if it's a right fit as it's generally more electronic stuff nowadays. After EWF headlining West Holts this year it might be daft to say he'd be too big for that stage. Dunno in all honesty.

Edited by dentalplan

after Tame Impala and Beck subbed the Pyramid i reckon he could do it. the amount of hype surrounding this new album is ridiculous and will no doubt push him (further) to global superstar status. put him below the right act (out of next years three predicted headliners i couldn't say which one it is) and he'd nail that slot. guess it all depends just how user friendly this new album is though - release more stuff like Pyramids, Thinking Bout You etc and he'll have the crowd in the palm of his hands, but he could obviously go in a much different direction (and the long wait between albums suggests he may do just that)

tbh honestly, i don't think Glastonbury will get him - they just have a habit of missing out on this kind of act. would be pretty special if they did though, and i'd hate to see a repeat of his last tour with the likes of TITP getting him over good festivals (although guess he was booked for Bestival but unfortunately pulled out)

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Not being released this month I reckon - I think the November date might be better fit

Naw yer man (his representatives) confirmed it was this month. That November 2016 thing is an error as they're all in order apart from that, and it's where a November 2015 stamp would be. It probably won't be out this month after all but nonetheless I don't think that date's indicative.

25 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Naw yer man (his representatives) confirmed it was this month. That November 2016 thing is an error as they're all in order apart from that, and it's where a November 2015 stamp would be. It probably won't be out this month after all but nonetheless I don't think that date's indicative.

oh really? not seen that, if so that's pretty exciting, although as you've said, it'll probably just get delayed again

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I can't help but wonder if this album is either gonna slip under the radar or be a massive hit

I can't help but shake the feeling he's waited a bit too long... maybe intentionally 

Nah the hype of this album when it's released is gonna be ridiculous. No way it's gonna slip under the radar

OK, hands up I'll admit that Frank Ocean has completely passed me by until reading this thread.  Just doesn't crop up on the radio stations I listen to, and my knowledge of / exposure to his style of music is....limited!

Giving channel ORANGE a go this morning, and I can officially add my voice to the demand to have him at Glastonbury.  Amazing stuff.

As for stage, he may be big enough for Pyramid but the vibe would seem to fit perfectly for WH to me?  

1 hour ago, Quark said:

As for stage, he may be big enough for Pyramid but the vibe would seem to fit perfectly for WH to me?  

I think with the release of his new album he'll be far too big/too big a deal of a booking to be given anywhere other than a Pyramid or Other slot. I would say I hope for Pyramid sub/third but after seeing the reception Beck got, maybe not. Other sub would be good

An Other Stage double of Frank Ocean into Nine Inch Nails whilst Sheeran headlines the Pyramid would be perfect for me.

If they deem him big enough to sub the Pyramid them he'd be good before Radiohead.

Actually, thinking about it, he'd probably make a perfect sub for Ed Sheeran in reality.

Hopefully the album is a huge hit, he gets a sub slot below Sheeran and nails it like Tame Impala apparently did and then I can bum off to NIN on Other. Thank you and goodnight.

He'll easily be big enough to sub the Pyramid stage though, it's not even a reach.

In fact, as daft as this may eventually look, I reckon this album will send him stratospheric and he'll be having Drake-like success by next year and possibly too big to sub festivals. He's just got ridiculous hype even when he's doing absolutely nothing that we can see so when some new music actually comes out it should be everywhere and all his famous fans will be bigging him up and he'll be all over the award shows and all that shit. Just gotta hope that he might be tied down to do Glastonbury before his star is too large y'know.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

He'll easily be big enough to sub the Pyramid stage though, it's not even a reach.

In fact, as daft as this may eventually look, I reckon this album will send him stratospheric and he'll be having Drake-like success by next year and possibly too big to sub festivals. He's just got ridiculous hype even when he's doing absolutely nothing that we can see so when some new music actually comes out it should be everywhere and all his famous fans will be bigging him up and he'll be all over the award shows and all that shit. Just gotta hope that he might be tied down to do Glastonbury before his star is too large y'know.

Yeah true. I was gonna say we all thought similar in regards to Ellie Goulding definitely being able to sub but I guess Frank Ocean's situation is a lot different. You're quite right on the hype thing.

In reality I bet he just doesn't even end up being booked.

22 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

In reality I bet he just doesn't even end up being booked.

Yep as much as I want it to happen, I'm not expecting it. Just like Kendrick and many before him I can, for one reason or another, see them missing out on him. But I guess he's gotta play somewhere, so hopefully that won't be a single London show or another terrible festival