Areas that need to change, be renewed, or be replaced

FieldOfAvalon

Just wondering what areas you think are past their sell-by date, underused, underappreciated or just in need of something new?

Or is there anything new that you'd like to see? And if so, where would it go?

My ones -

Shangri La: 

When did it become so standard? I might be missing them, but what happened to all the secret alleyways and hidden rooms?

Do the organisers need to freshen it up, or do you think it should be replaced with something else entirely?

[controversial one] parts of the Green Fields and esp. Green Futures:

I haven't noticed anything new here and frankly it seems like nothing EVER changes. The same crafts, the same chai stalls, the same exhibits.

I thought this year that it wasn't even busy - a gigantic area in the center of the site that is not even particularly well used. Or is this just the changing demographic of the festival?

Edited by FieldOfAvalon

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shangri la is an ongoing story - a very subtle I one I give you but a story none the less. I think you need to be sober and wide awake to get most of it though.

I like the Green Futures area on Weds and Thurs - a relaxing place to recharge and regenerate though not somewhere I tend to go Friday onwards.

I think the Glastonbury sign and Flagtopia are due for something new though there is the new bar near the sign - but no loos!!

I wouldn't want Green Futures to change one bit, it's just how we like it, have you even spent any time in there, its where all the unbelievably creative musicians are to be found, it's the heart of the festival. 
Charm x

I'd like to see more from the glade crew. It's music i never usually enjoy but I ended up there a few nights after plenty of cider.

On another thread someone mentioned splitting up shangri-la, block 9, common, unfair ground, glasto Latino. If it was possible I think that would be great and split the crowd a little more.  

6 minutes ago, Charm said:

I wouldn't want Green Futures to change one bit, it's just how we like it, have you even spent any time in there, its where all the unbelievably creative musicians are to be found, it's the heart of the festival. 
Charm x

Don't get me wrong, I love chilling out there! I was just being controversial, as I say! Glasto is such a dynamic place, so I suppose I shouldn't complain that part of it is always familiar.

12 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Shangri la is an ongoing story - a very subtle I one I give you but a story none the less. I think you need to be sober and wide awake to get most of it though.

Yes I have heard that there is a "storyline" there, although I'd love to hear more about it when I'm not trashed, as you say!

I just wondered if they were going to bring back the hidden rooms etc... that is unless I am not missing them, which is perfectly possible.

Just now, FieldOfAvalon said:

Don't get me wrong, I love chilling out there! I was just being controversial, as I say! Glasto is such a dynamic place, so I suppose I shouldn't complain that part of it is always familiar.

It can be excellent late at night, some of the bands are so amazing, so vibrant and exciting, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not there.  
Charm x

20 minutes ago, FieldOfAvalon said:

[controversial one] parts of the Green Fields and esp. Green Futures:

I haven't noticed anything new here and frankly it seems like nothing EVER changes. The same crafts, the same chai stalls, the same exhibits.

I thought this year that it wasn't even busy - a gigantic area in the center of the site that is not even particularly well used. Or is this just the changing demographic of the festival?

It's not supposed to change. At least, not in the substantial way that you seem to be thinking of (there are small changes year on year, if you look for them). But generally, it's supposed to be consistent year to year. That's deliberate.

I'd suspect that how busy it gets is down to the weather more than anything else - I found it very crowded at times in 2015.

I always feel the cabaret tent is stuck out on a limb and there is some great stuff on there. I have no idea where it could be moved too but closer to the pyramid or other stage could mop up some of the (half-arsed) crowd from either/both stages.

8 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

I always feel the cabaret tent is stuck out on a limb and there is some great stuff on there. I have no idea where it could be moved too but closer to the pyramid or other stage could mop up some of the (half-arsed) crowd from either/both stages.

No no no no no no no!!!!! I fucking love the Cabaret tent and last thing I want is it mopping up as you say the fucking Pyramid crowd. I tried the Pyramid this year and it was fucking horrendous. I go to the cabaret tent to escape and its never under attended. I actually didnt get in there as much this year cos it was packed. 

A nice cocktail from the peacock van and a sit down in Cabaret. Life doesnt get better than that. 

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The Silver Hayes is ok, with the exception of the Sonic tent. Replace that with a better shaped one and maybe a few lights. At night the area is pitch black. 

I agree it definitely need some character, it's a reasonable space as well they could do something nice with it 

The Wood is a nice example of what they can do with really nothing ground, i thought it was a really nice place just to chill in 

I totally echo the comments about Green Futures. It's a lovely area of the festival that doesn't need to change. I know I keep harping on about it but the Mandala Stage is just such a perfect venue to sit and chill and get away from the madness happening outside.

South East corner on the other hand, is a completely different beast and needs a complete overhaul. I really like the idea of a South West corner. That could be doable. Maybe if they advertised the fact that you can go anywhere at Glastonbury and still have a random, crazy night and it doesn't have to be in the South East Corner?

Silver Hayes 1000000%. I mean would the SE corner get as busy if the Dance Village/Silver Hayes actually had DJ's and acts people are going for. House and techno is whats really causing the issues in the SE corner so just don't see how they can't put a better effort into putting more of them in Silver Hayes (in a better set up than that Sonic) and yeah. I really think that area being very boring this year caused a lot of the issues of the SE corner filling up too quick.

22 minutes ago, sabre-toothed tart said:

Silver Hayes without a doubt.  I don't know why but it's always a bit menacing to me (even completely sober).  The mud this year didn't help either, made it a bit of a barren wasteland.  xx

This. Just feels a bit intimidating, can't really explain why. 

Definitely feels like a vast space that could be utilised much better.  Maybe it's better at night?

silver hayes!  get rid ...... like a mini cream fields independent off glastonbury festival! ...  turn it into an opposite ov the south east corner,  ease the crowds all round and make it more enjoyable for everyone! 

4 minutes ago, fur_q said:

Yes definitely get rid of all the things I don't personally like because everything revolves around me ;)

haha..... i like that , but honestly its not because i personally don't like that area.......if others love that particular area at glastonbury then fair play...... I've spent many hours round the dance village... i just don't think ts got the same vibe as the rest ov the festival? do you?