Areas that need to change, be renewed, or be replaced

FieldOfAvalon

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

An escalator up to the crows nest, nearly died getting up there for jagwar ma. (As a 24 year old I'm ashamed how little I'm exaggeraring there).

Ha ha, I had the same issue going to see Keavney on the Sat morning. hadnt got home till 7.30, but was up before 11 as me pal wanted to see Keavney, that was a long hard walk from bushy ground to be there for 12. Worth it though. Cracked a can when I got to the park, when I saw how far up a steep hill the bloody crows nest still was. Worth it though.

3 hours ago, priest17 said:

An escalator up to the crows nest, nearly died getting up there for jagwar ma. (As a 24 year old I'm ashamed how little I'm exaggeraring there).

Every time I attempted the hill I got a pimms at the bottom to make the journey bearable...and usually another one at the bar on the hill as a reward.

On 7/1/2016 at 7:57 PM, Mezhyp1 said:

I agree it definitely need some character, it's a reasonable space as well they could do something nice with it 

The Wood is a nice example of what they can do with really nothing ground, i thought it was a really nice place just to chill in 

the wood was just full of people doing nos

Silver Hayes wasn't too bad this year! But I agree it really lacks character!

shang ri la for sure, its just outgrown its location, gets far far to busy to the point of being unsafe and is impossible to even get to let alone enjoy if the ground underfoot is like it was this year, it either needs to be expanded or broken up around the site the different venues, its got to the point where a lot of people including myself wont even attempt it now friday-sunday as we know its going to be a mental stressful crush whatever musics on down there.......and that kind of defeats the point of having a `nightlife` area doesnt it?  if it turns to shit at night? 

On 7/4/2016 at 3:07 PM, The Nal said:

Have to be really close if its in anyway full for a decent view. Bootleg Beatles and Art Garfunkel were rammed this year of the gigs I saw. 

One of the reasons its never that jammed is because its shit. Was good before they changed it in 07 or whenever it was. 

quite like the acoustic tent, esp on a year like this one with the mud.....it was like a little chillout zone, a couple of times during this years fest I trekked up there just to sit down for a bit(it had actual grass in it still! not mud!) and get out of the rain and watch whoevers on. I saw a pretty unique set from glenn matlock there (never heard solo acoustic versions of pretty vacant and god save the queen before!) and yes the bootleg beatles was rammed but that was probably my moment of the festival, such a good vibe, everyone singing and dancing absoutly loving it, kids outside next to us dancing along having a blast to music from generations before they were even born, it was just a great all round set and went down a storm.

anyway so yeah....dont get the issue with it. its a fair trek to get to it but served a purpose for sure for me this year!....fed up of the rain and the mud? chillout under the acoustic, have a couple of cans then get up refreshed and ready to take it on again...sorted!

10 hours ago, J1990 said:

I went to SE Corner every night this year after the headliners had finished (Block 9 mainly). Had no issue getting in and getting around anywhere. 

Really? You weren't watching the Cabaret headliners each night by any chance?

Aside from the Wednesday night where i just wandered through it, I only went to the SE Corner on the Friday this year - and the queues just getting there were a real hassle - a huge amount of people going in that direction, which was made much, much worse by the mud. Lots of bottlenecks caused by people just trying not to fall over. At 3am I also ended up jam packed queuing up a hill in Glasto Latino to get into Shangri-La for 20 minutes before realising that they'd actually closed it temporarily due to the numbers in there, and they just hadn't told anybody.

On the Sunday not long gone midnight, the flashing signs dotted about the site (this one by the Other Stage) were already saying "SE Corner is full".

Its definitely the case that the SE Corner just gets too busy sometimes, as its really become the designated late night fun area of the festival now. Its so well promoted and they're really getting some big bookings now, its so hard not to want to go there.

I think the only thing that can be done is to try and entice more people to other parts of the site. Do something more with Silver Hayes if they can (I know there's the noise pollution issue with that part of the site), bigger names on later, or just jazz it up so its more than just stages. Maybe even moving The Unfairground from the SE Corner and sticking it next to Arcadia (which would have to encroach on the existing nearby camping space I guess - and may mean having to move the whole thing again if it stayed open later), so it feels more like a proper area to stay in for the night, and there's also more space in the SE corner itself. 

On another note, Silver Hayes probably is my least favourite part of the festival generally - I did like The Gully this year, though it almost felt like it wasn't even part of it. The Blues is also cool but with its layout and where it actually is at the Pyramid side entrance, it tends to get too busy to enjoy much personally. With the Cube Henge gone and that pineapple shack also gone, it just feels like a collection of dance stages more than anything with any real magic to it.

Edited by Vacant0

18 hours ago, EZYSEY said:

Agree with most that issues with the after-hours entertainment need addressing. Safe to say i don't think we will see anything major until after the fallow but a solution for next year could be just keeping Silver Hayes open later even if its only until 4am. Organisers need to cater more for the later crowd. 2 years in a row i've been wondering around on Saturday night looking for somewhere to get in after 2am.

Yep, Stonebridge was rammed Saturday and Sunday. Dancing outside a tent to muffled music isn't the one for me.

50 minutes ago, EZYSEY said:

Yep, Stonebridge was rammed Saturday and Sunday. Dancing outside a tent to muffled music isn't the one for me.

Avalon Café, Meeting Point, Babylon Rising, Rabbit Hole, Bimble Inn, Toad Hall, Small World, Mandala, Greenpeace Stage, all open until at least 3am if not later.

I've spent a few years dong the same thing, either getting wedged in SE corner or loitering outside a packed bar, but the spaces are out there.  I didn't realise most of them were until I started using the Clashfinder.  

10 hours ago, OBface said:

Out of interest what do you think the wrong reasons are? 

I think that people are not necessarily appreciating what NYC downlow in particular was meant to be representative of, and seeing it as simply a place to get off your nut.

I was taken to NYC Downlow for the first time by my wife's band mate who is gay and really loved the place and I felt that it was great that it embraced so much of what was not possibly accepted by a lot of other people, now it seems that people just want to go and literally get of there face which I don't have a problem with but do think it kinda stops peoples eyes being opened up to a subculture that existed and still does.

10 minutes ago, Nikolai1985 said:

I think that people are not necessarily appreciating what NYC downlow in particular was meant to be representative of, and seeing it as simply a place to get off your nut.

I was taken to NYC Downlow for the first time by my wife's band mate who is gay and really loved the place and I felt that it was great that it embraced so much of what was not possibly accepted by a lot of other people, now it seems that people just want to go and literally get of there face which I don't have a problem with but do think it kinda stops peoples eyes being opened up to a subculture that existed and still does.

I disagree I think in the hours when the place wasn't rammed the compere out on the Meat Runway did a brilliant job of presenting their case I thought the new look really worked well - another example of how a few alterations can breathe life into a location.

The visuals in the London Underground were amazing particularly when the tube left the station!

did anyone get thrown into the 3 'supper club' rooms?

16 minutes ago, Nikolai1985 said:

I see. Not sure I'd agree. The group I go to Glastonbury each year is predominantly gay and we often end up at Downlow (musically it is bang on for me so I have no complaints). My take is that it is still largely a LGBT crowd mixed with those there to see a particular DJ and 'tourists' having a look at what's going on. In my experience the last group tend to wander onto the dance floor for five minutes and then leave so not really impacting. 

Best atmosphere of any late night venue IMO anyway. 

Edited by OBface

1 hour ago, EZYSEY said:

I just think everywhere is fucking rammed after midnight, The Beat Hotel can't get in because of crowds outside, and it's rather busy inside. Stonebrigde fucking rammers, SE Corner is queued out the door. Can't move at Arcadia, the problem is everywhere I think

8 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I just think everywhere is fucking rammed after midnight, The Beat Hotel can't get in because of crowds outside, and it's rather busy inside. Stonebrigde fucking rammers, SE Corner is queued out the door. Can't move at Arcadia, the problem is everywhere I think

Strangely though not everywhere is packed once you get inside. Genosys and London Underground had loads of space on Saturday this year. Perhaps some way of splitting up the SE Corner would help. Not necessarily geographically just not having everyone queuing at the main entrance. No idea how that would logistically work mind. 

3 minutes ago, OBface said:

Strangely though not everywhere is packed once you get inside. Genosys and London Underground had loads of space on Saturday this year. Perhaps some way of splitting up the SE Corner would help. Not necessarily geographically just not having everyone queuing at the main entrance. No idea how that would logistically work mind. 

I don't disagree with this, I was in London Underground for Artwork which I expected to be so busy, but there was ample dancing room. I think there is slight bad organisation of people flow heading into the SE Corner, and Shangri La itself is a big problem, people seem to be interested in flocking straight there, meaning they close the area, and people can't get in to other parts of the SE corner 

1 minute ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I don't disagree with this, I was in London Underground for Artwork which I expected to be so busy, but there was ample dancing room. I think there is slight bad organisation of people flow heading into the SE Corner, and Shangri La itself is a big problem, people seem to be interested in flocking straight there, meaning they close the area, and people can't get in to other parts of the SE corner 

Selfishly maybe this isn't a bad thing. If people ended up at a certain area just because it's the only one they can get in to it might just dilute the atmosphere etc. Keep cramming them into Shangri La I say :)

8 minutes ago, OBface said:

Selfishly maybe this isn't a bad thing. If people ended up at a certain area just because it's the only one they can get in to it might just dilute the atmosphere etc. Keep cramming them into Shangri La I say :)

This is something I could get behind, seperate enterances for Shangri La/The Common and Block 9 might also work

7 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

This is something I could get behind, seperate enterances for Shangri La/The Common and Block 9 might also work

Definitely.  I've got more of an interest in Glasto Latino, Common and possibly Unfairground, but very little in Block 9 and Shangri-La (occasional set on Hell the exception), but the fact that there's one bottleneck for the lot does put me off.  I know there's likely to be space when I get there, but just can't be arsed to struggle through to get there.

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

the wood was just full of people doing nos

Silver Hayes wasn't too bad this year! But I agree it really lacks character!

When I went in after Sigur Ros the wood was just full of people really amazed by it and just loving exploring. Fave area I came across this year, perhaps because it was new and fresh, but I really did think they'd done a great job. More areas like that across the site would be a really great improvement

1 hour ago, OBface said:

I see. Not sure I'd agree. The group I go to Glastonbury each year is predominantly gay and we often end up at Downlow (musically it is bang on for me so I have no complaints). My take is that it is still largely a LGBT crowd mixed with those there to see a particular DJ and 'tourists' having a look at what's going on. In my experience the last group tend to wander onto the dance floor for five minutes and then leave so not really impacting. 

Best atmosphere of any late night venue IMO anyway. 

I agree with the music and also when it is a little less busy and to be fair one of my favorite memories is when they had a power cut and started doing Kareoke in 2015.

out of our usual glasto group of about 16 there is only 4 of us who are not gay so I just see the changes that occurred this year as an effort to make it more in touch with the crowd we both probably go with.

Its the "tourists" that seem to be the issue with me and see it as a kind of place to gawp while of there nut rather than party.