Areas that need to change, be renewed, or be replaced

FieldOfAvalon

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, myers said:

haha..... i like that , but honestly its not because i personally don't like that area.......if others love that particular area at glastonbury then fair play...... I've spent many hours round the dance village... i just don't think ts got the same vibe as the rest ov the festival? do you?

Depends what you mean by the same vibe, different areas of the festival all have different vibes but I have had some really enjoyable nights there where the crowds have been amongst the best I have ever experienced. 

33 minutes ago, fur_q said:

Depends what you mean by the same vibe, different areas of the festival all have different vibes but I have had some really enjoyable nights there where the crowds have been amongst the best I have ever experienced. 

well.... tbh , generally moody ! .... I'm comfortable with that kinda atmosphere and am not put off personally, but i know others are! .... think its a bit ov a shitty area in general though and theres more could be done with it imo ! 

2 hours ago, TaylorT said:

Silver Hayes 1000000%. I mean would the SE corner get as busy if the Dance Village/Silver Hayes actually had DJ's and acts people are going for. House and techno is whats really causing the issues in the SE corner so just don't see how they can't put a better effort into putting more of them in Silver Hayes (in a better set up than that Sonic) and yeah. I really think that area being very boring this year caused a lot of the issues of the SE corner filling up too quick.

I don't think people flock to the SE corner because there's necessarily a better choice of music, it's because it's the only area that stays open all night. There were some great acts in Silver Hayes this year (Oliver Heldens in Sonic was probably my favorite act all weekend) however they cannot finish any later than 2/3am due to noise pollution.

Would recommend the The Park as a morr viable alternative to the SE Corner. Great late venues without the Queues

Just now, richy24 said:

I don't think people flock to the SE corner because there's necessarily a better choice of music than Silver Hayes, it's because it's the only area that stays open all night. There were some great acts in Silver Hayes this year (Oliver Heldens in Sonic was probably my favorite act all weekend) however they cannot finish any later than 2/3am due to noise pollution.

Would recommend the The Park as a morr viable alternative to the SE Corner. Great late venues without the Queues

I was going to say Silver Hayes needs a change … but then reading the thread it occured to me that perhaps I just don't get it, because it's probably not for me. I spent most of this festival in the Avalon, Theatre & Circus and Acoustic fields, for goodness sake!

But if I were being really controversial, I would ask questions about:

• The cinema tent. Do people really go in to watch films? Is it popular?
  • All the car parking. Let's quadruple the number of coaches, halve the number of cars, then move all the extra metal tracks and stuff from the car parks into the site to improve where people actually walk. (Told you I'd be controversial. Can you tell I get the train?)
  • The EE recharge tent. This joyless shitbox takes up a whole pile of space. Surely they don't need all that for their battery exchange. Ditch it and they could expand Leftfield or something.
  • Silent Disco. When I walked past this year it looked less popular than before, and the novelty has certainly worn off for me.

Any more?

The Astrolabe. Basically identical running orders each day, and a good 50%+ acts the same as the previous year. It's such a nice venue too, with proper theatre-esque raked seating, but half the acts there would be better suited to Cabaret or Circus anyway (and a good proportion of those end up playing in those tents as well).

So many opportunities to show interesting things, including actual theatre or longer-form comedy and the one new thing they added this year was a bloody late-night stage hypnotist.

17 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The Astrolabe. Basically identical running orders each day, and a good 50%+ acts the same as the previous year. It's such a nice venue too, with proper theatre-esque raked seating, but half the acts there would be better suited to Cabaret or Circus anyway (and a good proportion of those end up playing in those tents as well).

So many opportunities to show interesting things, including actual theatre or longer-form comedy and the one new thing they added this year was a bloody late-night stage hypnotist.

To rub salt into the wound the hypnotist was poor too. 

There was some cool late night stuff in there last year. More of that please.

4 hours ago, sabre-toothed tart said:

Silver Hayes without a doubt.  I don't know why but it's always a bit menacing to me (even completely sober).  The mud this year didn't help either, made it a bit of a barren wasteland.  xx

This is how I feel too. The day time parties are cool, but the night time feels a bit menacing to me too. No idea why.

I have never spent any time in Sliver Hayes and doubt I ever will. I think the Oxlyers campsite and Silver Hayes area are a bombsite. I have no problem with them though, it's easy enough to talk past and ignore them.

Yeah dont really get silver Hayes, we were camped in Bushy this year, and walking home via silver Hayes was grim. We choose to walk the longer way round most times, past the park and dairy. But people seem to love it there, so fair play, I spent most time at T&C, suppose some people wouldn't like that. Each to their own. Agree on Green Fields. Doesn't need any changes. I love it. Also defo don't need to move Cabaret, perfect where it is. Didn't get to shangri la this year, was full the time I tried. Couple of pals want Sun evening and said it was fun

get rid of silver hayes, 

split block nine and the common and shangri la, put them in different areas so not everyone is heading in the same direction night after night.

I love the naughty corner but only ended up going twice as it was just not worth the effort to try and get there after the main acts had finished. they need to be put in separate areas around the festival IMO.  in opposite corners.

Shangri La is out dated now, back in 2010 it was tons better with the alley ways and hidden disco's. They just seem to be trying to outrage you with how rude they can be. not a lot of imagination there. Three trannies in a bed with post it notes asking you to get your dick out is not creative

15 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

Shangri La is out dated now, back in 2010 it was tons better with the alley ways and hidden disco's. They just seem to be trying to outrage you with how rude they can be. not a lot of imagination there. Three trannies in a bed with post it notes asking you to get your dick out is not creative

Much as I love the Shangri La lot, and their design and builds are brilliant, as is the theatrical stuff when they put their mind to it... but when they try and do funny it can be a bit embarrassing. I think a friend described some of it as "sixth-form drama student sketch groups". Satire they can do well, but comedy less so - they'd probably benefit from bringing in producers who know that side of things a bit better. But it does feel that every year more and more of the budget goes on big name DJs and acts, and less on the interesting little things.

I'd actually probably convert the SE corner to be Block 9, Common and Hell stage, then pull the installations and smaller (and quieter) venues into the theatre fields - or make that entire stretch of the site "Shangri-La" - from Cabaret up to viewing platform. Let them handle the build of that area with small venues and the larger venues already there (Cabaret/Circus/Astrolabe/Mavericks/Outdoor Circus/Sensation Seekers). Have those three tents running later (to around 3am) along with the microvenues.

From a purely design perspective that would great, but then from a tone perspecitive... it's one of the most kid friendly areas with all the walkabout performances that wouldn't really mix well with the shock value of Shangri-La as is. If they're be interested in designing something more family friendly, who knows.

Being in the South East corner on Saturday night made me feel like in Theme Park when you got bored and messed up the queue lines and just had your little bods stuck in limbo moving from one queue to the next.  

Edited by Eks101
I didn't like it, it was shite

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Much as I love the Shangri La lot, and their design and builds are brilliant, as is the theatrical stuff when they put their mind to it... but when they try and do funny it can be a bit embarrassing. I think a friend described some of it as "sixth-form drama student sketch groups". Satire they can do well, but comedy less so - they'd probably benefit from bringing in producers who know that side of things a bit better. But it does feel that every year more and more of the budget goes on big name DJs and acts, and less on the interesting little things.

I'd actually probably convert the SE corner to be Block 9, Common and Hell stage, then pull the installations and smaller (and quieter) venues into the theatre fields - or make that entire stretch of the site "Shangri-La" - from Cabaret up to viewing platform. Let them handle the build of that area with small venues and the larger venues already there (Cabaret/Circus/Astrolabe/Mavericks/Outdoor Circus/Sensation Seekers). Have those three tents running later (to around 3am) along with the microvenues.

From a purely design perspective that would great, but then from a tone perspecitive... it's one of the most kid friendly areas with all the walkabout performances that wouldn't really mix well with the shock value of Shangri-La as is. If they're be interested in designing something more family friendly, who knows.

I would rather hand over a whole area to Punchdrunk and have a music/theatre/dance space.

The Silver Hayes area needs something. The actual stages are fine, but it's the whole feel of the field, at night it can seem like a black dark space, maybe more creative lighting, pathways, areas to walk through to get to the different stages. I don't think it needs a complete re-think just stuff between the stages.

I would get the old alley ways from Shangri La and move them here. Or something similar. 

Edited by danbailey80

10 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I would rather hand over a whole area to Punchdrunk and have a music/theatre/dance space.

Now this is a suggestion. Get Punchdrunk on board, even if it's only for a venue in the SE corner with the potential to expand to an area, as the Block 9 guys did. One of the reasons the Back of Beyond is one of the best SE corner venues is that the Copperdollar crew really commit to making your being there feel like you're part of an experience rather than just a room with some music.

Shangri La needs to change. I think I'm right in saying that this year was the end of its current stupid 'story' cycle so now would be a perfect time to overhaul it completely rather than stick a few new banners up saying that capitalism is silly. It's been the same since 2014, but seemingly with fewer interesting micro-venues each time.

Edited by Winslow Leach

9 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

That'd be incredible but likely far too expensive. Sad thing is the SE-corner, pre-one way system was a bit more like that - there was interactive theatre stuff squirreled away and such, but it's slowly become more and more about the big acts and stages (partly because it needs to be, because of the amount of people going there). But it does feel like Shangri-La's theatrical guys have moved on while the act bookers have stayed...

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What would you change about it? Other than infrastructure work to make it cope with the mud better.

I dunno, but I see photos of and have read about boomtown - even though I havent been there I must admit - and all the stages there seem to be really unique. The park is just a small generic festival area which doesnt stand out from the rest of the festival at all. I think they could make it really something special.

I lack the creativity to answer your question in any detail sadly, but I have no doubt there are thousands of people who could really transform it into something magical.