campervan - getting on and off shambles

paulfoel

Complete shambles. Neither the stewards or tractor drivers seemed to know what to do. MAssive queues.

Had real hassle. They towed our car off first (it was parked away from caravan - we popped out Friday). Then decided they couldnt move caravan. Nobody would make a decision. In the end they towed car back in and towed it all off.

Mates of ours said on monday private tractors were turning up and charging people. They paid £30. How did glasto let that happen anyway?

I know the mud was bad but, being the permier festival in the world, I just thought things could be a bit better. Eavis makes millions out of the deal - spend a few quid on sorting out the campervan fields.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck me. Do some people just moan for the sake of moaning. We all had inconvenience but the vast majority just smiled their way through it.

Maybe you should go to a posher better organised festival next year then. Something where they wax your campervan while you sleep.

Getting in it took us 14 hours on Tuesday for a 3 hour journey, no problem for us, just glad we're there, we had lots of fun in the layby, football, music, food etc.

Left the cv fields at 6.30pm Monday evening, no problem, drove out, stopped briefly at the Solstice Services to listen to the diabolical football match and then no jams til we got home.

No shambles for us or many others by the look of the above posts. Happy Days!

Oh come on. That's like me complaining that the mud hampered my husband getting around in his wheelchair, which it did, but I don't expect the Eavii to spend more of their "millions of pounds" of profits to provide us with hired help the whole time! 

Yes, it was hard, yes we all got pissed off at times. But you're complaining about something which happened at the start and end of the festival. Why not concentrate on all the amazing things which happened in between?

29 minutes ago, paulfoel said:

Complete shambles. Neither the stewards or tractor drivers seemed to know what to do. MAssive queues.

Had real hassle. They towed our car off first (it was parked away from caravan - we popped out Friday). Then decided they couldnt move caravan. Nobody would make a decision. In the end they towed car back in and towed it all off.

Mates of ours said on monday private tractors were turning up and charging people. They paid £30. How did glasto let that happen anyway?

I know the mud was bad but, being the permier festival in the world, I just thought things could be a bit better. Eavis makes millions out of the deal - spend a few quid on sorting out the campervan fields.

For a start its not the premier festival in the world - Its big and famous yes like my beloved Newcastle United but you would not call them premier.  I would say Coachella or the new one with Roger Waters , The Who, Stones, Bob and Neil Young is the premier one.  You would not get your van stuck in there in mud I can assure you.

No offence but considering what the situation was like I am surprised you left the site ( unless it was an emergency ).

Unfortunately due to the bad conditions this year a lot of people would be inconvenienced. 

I have a Motor Home  but chose to leave it at home as its a lot easier to get my car out of a muddy field than 3.5 ton  dead weight  .

I do not think Eavis will ever stretch to hard standing and tarmac roads for the camper van fields !

Its a farm... not a fully tarmac car park. There was an unprecedented amount of rain leading up to the festival - the roads around the site are lanes, not motorways , its rural - thats why we love it

There will be hassle, you learn to live with it and laugh your way through it

Eavis gives loads of money to charity

Not a complete shambles, a serious of events that were unfortunate, and we all had to deal with. I was lucky , after the inital not opening of the van fields, took 2.5 hours to get in (was parked up with a cider at 7pm Tuesday) and about an hour to get off.... no hassle

I presume you won't be trying for a ticket next year to this 'premier' festval - by the way no-one has ever labelled it that but you and the newspapers - the festival does not even promise 'ideal' conditions, no mud, no hassle, but they do promise an gobsmacking amount of diverse acts for a festival of contempary arts, which I think we all agree we certainly got

2 minutes ago, stuwilky said:

Really? :o :P

5 minutes ago, not worthy said:

The festival seems just about as organised and sanitised as I can cope with. Any more pampering and I won't be going....it's a festival, in a field FFS

My mates go to Isle of Wight and B&B  - I'm not having that !

Our camper got tractored out Monday morning. Gave the driver a tenner for his trouble (he asked for a fiver as he was volunteering to assist) and we were off site in ten minutes.

Honestly I think it was all handled very well given the circumstances.

Can't have both. Can't have people shouting directions at you and treating you like shit - which may move things a bit quicker - like other shitty festivals and have the "hello love, welcome to Glastonbury" type laid back type thing which makes Glasto.

There was a delay getting on and off site this year. Like any other year. Boo hoo.

If I were to moan, it would be that they (who are they, you know, the ones, them), could have asked the car drivers to delay by the same amount of time as the campervans - we were all in that massive queue for 10hrs. Not sure it would have helped since a lot of campervan peeps ignored the 6pm advice.

Ultimately, the stewards were having more of a mare than us, we were sat in a car/van, they were out in the elements all night.

On the way out, our tractor driver was utterly marvellous - gentle pull out, rolled around in the mud finding the hook up - brilliant guy.

So I reckon it is was fab.

Edited by hfuhruhurr