Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's too ordinary. Sounds like any guitar band of the mid 90s could have made it, which can't be said for the rest of their output. 

At the very real risk of being strung  up at next year's meet, could you not argue the same thing about The Bends? It's a better album, certainly, but I wouldn't say it's staggeringly different from what else was around in terms of style.

And I still love Pablo Honey, although I do tend to skip Creep these days.

Tin hat on...

45 minutes ago, Quark said:

At the very real risk of being strung  up at next year's meet, could you not argue the same thing about The Bends? It's a better album, certainly, but I wouldn't say it's staggeringly different from what else was around in terms of style.

And I still love Pablo Honey, although I do tend to skip Creep these days.

Tin hat on...

The Bends is a great album, and definitely better than Pablo, but you're right - it's not radically different from other albums released around the same time. It just happens to be excellent compared to the others :P

I agree with everyone else, The Bends distinguishes itself not on stylistic innovation as much as sheer quality. It seems almost like a dodging the question to just say The Bends is always placed higher than Pablo Honey because it's better - but it really is as simple as that.

The Bends isn't ordinary because it's really really good. 

Without doing a list (and I'm reaaaally trying not to) The Bends is still good enough to sneak into my top five Radiohead albums. Will I agree with everything that's been said a above and don't have any real issue with Pablo Honey it wouldn't even come close. 

If I'm really honest there's probably not much between TKOL and Pablo Honey for me. They're by far and away the albums I listen to least often (i.e. hardly ever). Their positions as last and second last are probably more interchangeable than I'd like to acknowledge but TKOL always tends to get the nod because of Codex.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/07/2016 at 3:19 PM, dentalplan said:

Yeah that's basically it. Nowt wrong with the 90's alternative rock scene; it's just that Pablo Honey would've been a fairly anonymous entry to it if Radiohead didn't go onto anything else, whereas The Bends is one of the finest albums to come out in that period.

It has Creep on it. Regardless of how over played it was / is. Regardless of the band's view on it, that song elevated the band from the anonymity. I think the influence of Creep is in a lot of their later work. They didn't want to write "hit singles" 

26 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

It has Creep on it. Regardless of how over played it was / is. Regardless of the band's view on it, that song elevated the band from the anonymity. I think the influence of Creep is in a lot of their later work. They didn't want to write "hit singles" 

They'd still have relative anonymity now if that's all they had to show for their career. If Radiohead broke up when they nearly did in 1994, do you think Creep would still be being played now? Or that anyone would know what Pablo Honey is? I don't. 

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

They'd still have relative anonymity now if that's all they had to show for their career. If Radiohead broke up when they nearly did in 1994, do you think Creep would still be being played now? Or that anyone would know what Pablo Honey is? I don't. 

Yeah, Creep would be played. Just like Breakfast at Tiffany's or You're Gorgeous or any other one hit wonders from the 90s are played. Creep is it's own thing, nor really tied to the rest of Radiohead's career.

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, Creep would be played. Just like Breakfast at Tiffany's or You're Gorgeous or any other one hit wonders from the 90s are played. Creep is it's own thing, nor really tied to the rest of Radiohead's career.

Oh aye, I guess. I vaguely know both of those songs but I've never heard of either band. Pretty scary to think how easily Radiohead could have ended up like that instead of being the most lauded band of recent times.

Never mind gigs none of us have been to.  On the last thread I said that depending on mood, I could be convinced that Weird Fishes was the best song they've ever done.  Well, I've come across as a jazz orchestral cover than can only be described as "joyous".  Give it a good listen.

EDIT: There's a whole album of this on Spotify, but this track is the best to my ears.  Currently on third or fourth listen of the album since discovering it yesterday afternoon.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 1

Ahhhh they were so good last night, can't believe we were treated to Let Down.

/gloating

3 hours ago, tevaburger said:

hoping/planning to be in the Garden tonight for night 2. wish me luck for a single tik...

You don't post on AtEase by any chance do you? People were getting rid of extra single tickets a couple of hours before the show.

Also some people said the box office was selling extras yesterday. Good luck

16 minutes ago, Time Being said:

Ahhhh they were so good last night, can't believe we were treated to Let Down.

/gloating

You don't post on AtEase by any chance do you? People were getting rid of extra single tickets a couple of hours before the show.

Also some people said the box office was selling extras yesterday. Good luck

box office generally does singles on day, and the 'secret' being that you can generally get Sec 109s on day (released when family/guest allotment doesn't get filled), which is best seated spot. i'll be hitting box office by 2pm and will surely get a single on-site, never a problem at MSG.

used to browse Atease, but haven't for a decade-plus