Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

Thought this was about as good a set as Radiohead could put on tbh. If you didnt enjoy it it probables means your not really into Radiohead. 

Pretty much ticket every box. They played pretty much all their big hits - Creep, Karma Police, No Surprises, Street Spirit, Paranoid Android, Fake Plastic Trees, Pyramid Song, Idioteque, 2+2=5 etc set made up of their two most highly acclaimed albums as well as throwing a good mix of songs from the rest of theor albums. Amazing light show, built up to a big finale. 

Was spot on. 

I was too close to the stage to see the screens without twisting my neck but it's a shame that seems to have taken away a bit for the people watching from the back. I don't think anyone can complain about the set list really. No reckoner but they played all the big tunes that everyone knows. Daydreaming was beautiful and I think it works well as an opener, especially when they follow with lucky. I also really liked Ful Stop and I never liked it on the record.

I think some of the sound problems just come with how open and large the Pyramid is. The few sets I did there I tended to work my way across from the left side to the right so I could head back to the tent or the John Peel after amd noticed the sound was far better on the left side and the vocals felt a bit better over on the left. Wind can send the sound over to a certain direction so if you standing on the wrong side it appears a bit weaker. Noticed it most on Karma Police where I was in the very bottom right corner and Thoms vocals seemed all over. Just watched it back on tv amd it sounded fine. 

4 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I was too close to the stage to see the screens without twisting my neck but it's a shame that seems to have taken away a bit for the people watching from the back. I don't think anyone can complain about the set list really. No reckoner but they played all the big tunes that everyone knows. Daydreaming was beautiful and I think it works well as an opener, especially when they follow with lucky. I also really liked Ful Stop and I never liked it on the record.

I strated front centre. Went for a piss and then worked my way round the back from left side to right and the visuals were absolutely fine. 

I actually thought they looked better from further back. 

I'm definitely more of a casual fan, like a lot of their stuff but felt really underwhelmed. I'm putting it down to a combination of way too high expectations and poor sound (I was quite far forward in the middle as well).

No problems with the set list though and glad all you hardcore fans enjoyed it. I went to Dizzee and had an amazing time.

I have wanted to see radiohead headline the pyramid for years and they did not disappoint. It was completely emotionally overwhelming. I can't get my head round how they can write such beautiful songs. I haven't been able to watch it back yet - I need to be emotionally ready!

Edited by barkley87

I've been a fan of the band for years but have never been successful in seeing them live for various reasons so I was more than excited for this.  And that seltlist did not let me down in the slightest it was built up perfectly towards that massive final hour. Yes it may have alienated some of the more casual fans, however it meant many of the talkers left. I couldn't think of anyway seeing my first very pyramid headliner at my fourth GF could have gone. It was truly a 'moment' for me

For those of you who got redirected to the survey after swapping Manchester tickets - I've just contacted Waste and they got back pretty quickly confirming my tickets have gone through OK. E-tickets will be sent out by the end of this week.

I'm already ridiculously excited for that show. I hope we get some real rarities, although now the shows have been combined I reckon it'll be a similar set (greatest hit-esque) to Glastonbury.

Yeah all this talk about the set list - it's like the reviewers thought Radiohead should be targeting their show at people who don't like Radiohead. Which is absurd. There's loads of other stages available at Glasto for those people. 

What Radiohead did do was consider casual fans more - this was by far their most fan friendly playlist of the last two years and they've generally been cracking out the old classics on a regular basis.

If you're someone who only likes the big radio hits and has never tried listening to any of the albums then surely you would choose Radiohead over the many great options that night knowing you wouldn't know a lot of the set. Even then you'd know 6-7 songs. So why should Radiohead upset the flow of their show to stop these people leaving early? I suspect some of these folk were planning on catching a bit of Radiohead to see what the fuss was about and were always gonna head to Major Lazer.

If you're a casual fan who only knows the singles and Bends/OKC then you'd know at least half the set if not more. The opening section would've been great for those people.

I overheard a conversation between two people and one of them was saying "Yeah Radiohead were rubbish...so weird". Firstly much of their gig didn't have that weird stuff. And secondly there was a time at Glasto where your average punter there would appreciate something for being a bit weird, even if it wasn't always to their tastes. I suspect this has changed and all most people want from their headliners is something to have a drunken singalong to and/or to get fucked up to - both these things are great fun but it's not all the festival should offer. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, jparx said:

For those of you who got redirected to the survey after swapping Manchester tickets - I've just contacted Waste and they got back pretty quickly confirming my tickets have gone through OK. E-tickets will be sent out by the end of this week.

I'm already ridiculously excited for that show. I hope we get some real rarities, although now the shows have been combined I reckon it'll be a similar set (greatest hit-esque) to Glastonbury.

Yeah not expecting it to be too different from Glastonbury really but hopefully a few swaps (15 Step/Nude for Reckoner, Creep for The National Anthem, anything for How to Disappear Completely etc).

Can't help but feel that this can only be a slight let down after how mind blowing Glastonbury was, but then it is Radiohead and they seem to be knocking it out of the park setlist-wise lately so maybe I should be a bit more optimistic (which they should also play).

6 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

If you're a casual fan who only knows the singles and Bends/OKC then you'd know at least half the set if not more. The opening section would've been great for those people.

I think I'd count myself as a "casual fan", I walked after twenty minutes. More than the song choices and the sound I hated the stupid video presentation which (as far as I could tell) showed but of the band members in an oval "window". So I couldn't see the band, which is surely the major point of the big tellies? I was halfway back.

A fail for me.

Just now, Rumblestripe said:

I think I'd count myself as a "casual fan", I walked after twenty minutes. More than the song choices and the sound I hated the stupid video presentation which (as far as I could tell) showed but of the band members in an oval "window". So I couldn't see the band, which is surely the major point of the big tellies? I was halfway back.

A fail for me.

Yeah the screens were really poor. They've been doing similar for years but was hoping for such a big gig like Glasto this would be different. Didn't stop it from being a 10/10 gig from where I was standing at the front but would've affected my enjoyment further back...

1 minute ago, Rumblestripe said:

A fail for me.

Seems to be the major problem here. All of us big fans were up front and so probably weren't looking at the screens much at all so absolutely loved it, whereas the people who needed to be won over down back struggled because they couldn't even see what was going on. Obviously the music matters most but this seems to be a major problem with Radiohead (especially given their music isn't the most accessible to begin with). Feel sorry for those major fans who end up at the back at Old Trafford - £75+ to see the back of a bunch of people's heads and some blurs and lights on stage).

31 minutes ago, jparx said:

Hey man, what was the email used to contact them? I had a problem with my email so am anxious that it will cause a problem in them sending the email to the wrong email address as I didn't get the initial survey email. Not sure whether to contact Waste or Sandbag is all!

Edited by Ipayne

I was looking forward to watching Radiohead. Never really got what all the fuss was about, but thought this was a good time to find out.

left after 30 mins, totally bored brainless.

caught a bit of major lazer sending crowds wild on the way to the flaming lips who had an epic show. Very glad I left.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Ipayne said:

Hey man, what was the email used to contact them? I had a problem with my email so am anxious that it will cause a problem in them sending the email to the wrong email address as I didn't get the initial survey email. Not sure whether to contact Waste or Sandbag is all!

http://support.wasteheadquarters.com/support/home

Im on my phone so I'm struggling to find it exactly, but somewhere on that link was a "raise support ticket" option. I just used that and asked them to confirm my tickets.