The Nal

On 27/11/2017 at 10:19 AM, Hugh Jass said:

Gigs of the year so far:

1. The National - Hammersmith Apollo

2. Arcade Fire - Castlefield Bowl

3. Radiohead - The Pyramid

4. LCD Soundsystem - Ally Pally

5. Wolf Alice - Ally Pally

9. Pablo Honey: A live experience on kazoo - My house.

I've been very close to you on 4 occasions this year. 

P.S. I hate the kazoo. 

Interesting that they're around again next year! I thought that was it for a while.

Gigs of the year for me:

Radiohead - Manchester (Pyramid would be close second but I won't include both)

The National - Manc 02 Apollo (saturday)

Nick Cave - Notts Arena

Weezer - Brum 02 Academy

Flips - Notts Rock City

On 14/11/2017 at 6:27 PM, Wooderson said:

What shows have people seen this year that were better than this.

If only they hadn't got all pretentious and artsy with the screen projections, which I think has been discussed here.

I preferred Steve Hillage with The Orb at The Glade (was on the rail for the duration and I love a good theramin).

Barry Gibb into Chic was amazing.

Had a great time at The Darkness at Margate Winter Gardens last Wednesday. Now that's a band with stagecraft, as I was compelled to tweet. They were like old school Queen, and I caught a plectrum so added bonus points.

Watching bands in pubs is kind of my weekend thing, and Psychedelic Warlords (a Hawkwind "tribute" act) really got me going twice this year. Proper authentic. In a proper tiny venue. And, again, I love a good theramin.

Great thread derailing question @Wooderson and you forgot the question mark. You have enraged my drunken grammar nazi :blink:

To stay on thread I hereby declare that I truly love Radiohead. They are a wonderfully amazing band.

5 hours ago, MrZigster said:

If only they hadn't got all pretentious and artsy with the screen projections, which I think has been discussed here.

The early part of the gig was hampered for me by this really. The screens didn't matter quite so much on a personal level as I'm quite tall and could see a bit (although they would have been useful) but a lot of people around were disgruntled with the screens and many did leave. It was only really from Idioteque on that the whole place seemed to accept it and it reached that other level across the field!

6 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I preferred Steve Hillage with The Orb at The Glade (was on the rail for the duration and I love a good theramin).

Barry Gibb into Chic was amazing.

Had a great time at The Darkness at Margate Winter Gardens last Wednesday. Now that's a band with stagecraft, as I was compelled to tweet. They were like old school Queen, and I caught a plectrum so added bonus points.

Watching bands in pubs is kind of my weekend thing, and Psychedelic Warlords (a Hawkwind "tribute" act) really got me going twice this year. Proper authentic. In a proper tiny venue. And, again, I love a good theramin.

Great thread derailing question @Wooderson and you forgot the question mark. You have enraged my drunken grammar nazi :blink:

To stay on thread I hereby declare that I truly love Radiohead. They are a wonderfully amazing band.

Soz Zig. I was at loadsa things this year and nothing can compete with this one.

On 14/12/2017 at 10:46 AM, strummer77 said:

The early part of the gig was hampered for me by this really. The screens didn't matter quite so much on a personal level as I'm quite tall and could see a bit (although they would have been useful) but a lot of people around were disgruntled with the screens and many did leave.

Ditto for both sentences. Was inside the barrier so not "such" a big deal. But, for a band of such calibre, I just want to see them play. You don't need to add visual trickery. A bigger issue for me was the the chattering types around me.You know the sort. They're only there 'cause that's where to be and they don't really get it.

On 14/12/2017 at 11:01 AM, Wooderson said:

Soz Zig. I was at loadsa things this year and nothing can compete with this one.

No need to apologise at all. Each to their own. Glad you loved it.

I loved it too and felt so privileged to be there. It was hugely anticipated and no doubt culturally significant and a gig of hugeness. But imo there are way better live Radiohead performances out there. 

On 15/12/2017 at 2:13 PM, Adystar said:

Is there anyway I can still get the set? Need to re live that amazing summer night and never got round to it at the time 

I looked on TPB. Still has 17 seeds apparently.

Edited by MrZigster

On 12/17/2017 at 12:04 AM, MrZigster said:

Ditto for both sentences. Was inside the barrier so not "such" a big deal. But, for a band of such calibre, I just want to see them play. You don't need to add visual trickery. A bigger issue for me was the the chattering types around me.You know the sort. They're only there 'cause that's where to be and they don't really get it.

Yeah, Daydreaming having no screens and being quite quiet gave the chatters a licence to talk a bit. They didn't open with Daydreaming at the UK dates after this, so the band must have recognised it too. But in the end it was great.

They were better at the Roundhouse though ;)

22 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Yeah, Daydreaming having no screens and being quite quiet gave the chatters a licence to talk a bit. They didn't open with Daydreaming at the UK dates after this, so the band must have recognised it too. But in the end it was great.

You could have heard a pin drop during Daydreaming at the roundhouse (well over the crowd, not the music)

23 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

I think they moved Daydreaming to later in the set for those UK dates because they were starting in daylight, the whole point of them opening with Daydreaming seemed to be the lights kicking in mid-song and that would have been lost in daylight.