Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

In a flu-fevered dream this morning, I remembered how fucking great Lotus Flower sounded live at Glastonbury this year.  Didn't it just?

And it was nice they let Ed play some guitar for once.

I love Lotus Flower on record, probably a top 10 Radiohead song for me but that live version was something else. Definitely one of my highlights. I've barely listened to them since Glastonbury but I'll need to rewatch the set soon.

So ten weeks after watching Radiohead headline Glastonbury 2017 here is a review – for what it is worth.

On leaving the Pyramid field I was confused, yes I had enjoyed the gig but something had stopped it being the amazing experience it maybe could/should have been. First thought was, was it the crowd. Yes halfway between the barrier and the sound desk meant there were plenty of chatty souls in the first third of the show but they filtered out or got into the show as the more well-known tunes came up. Second thought, was it the set list – as a Radiohead casual fan(1st time seeing them in concert) it was as good as it could be and apart from Myxomatosis and Bloom I had no complaints. Was it because I had binned off friends to watch on my own? Not necessarily as I watch many gigs solo. Should I have taken better/more drugs? No those days are long gone. Stumped, I went home and over the next couple of weeks began to get the answer. Watching the BBC coverage it was confirmed that indeed the music had been breathtakingly brilliant and the audience in the pit were spellbound. But what came as a surprise was the charismatic performance of Thom Yorke and the emotion he put into the show. It was as if I was watching the show for the first time or another one completely.

So by choosing to have the distorted/blurred imagery on the screens rather than “boring” old pictures of the band the connection between the them and me was never established and despite the  music’s brilliance the gig will go down as good but not great. From reading other reviews it would appear this is a common feature of Radiohead shows and unless you can get closer enough to the stage the outcome would likely always be the same. As such perfectionists with their music it is odd that this chance to connect better with the audience is missed.

However my post Glastonbury listening has been dominated by reproducing the setlist on Spotify and ipod, so perhaps they are in fact right with their choice of visuals!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Harry49 said:

So ten weeks after watching Radiohead headline Glastonbury 2017 here is a review – for what it is worth.

On leaving the Pyramid field I was confused, yes I had enjoyed the gig but something had stopped it being the amazing experience it maybe could/should have been. First thought was, was it the crowd. Yes halfway between the barrier and the sound desk meant there were plenty of chatty souls in the first third of the show but they filtered out or got into the show as the more well-known tunes came up. Second thought, was it the set list – as a Radiohead casual fan(1st time seeing them in concert) it was as good as it could be and apart from Myxomatosis and Bloom I had no complaints. Was it because I had binned off friends to watch on my own? Not necessarily as I watch many gigs solo. Should I have taken better/more drugs? No those days are long gone. Stumped, I went home and over the next couple of weeks began to get the answer. Watching the BBC coverage it was confirmed that indeed the music had been breathtakingly brilliant and the audience in the pit were spellbound. But what came as a surprise was the charismatic performance of Thom Yorke and the emotion he put into the show. It was as if I was watching the show for the first time or another one completely.

So by choosing to have the distorted/blurred imagery on the screens rather than “boring” old pictures of the band the connection between the them and me was never established and despite the  music’s brilliance the gig will go down as good but not great. From reading other reviews it would appear this is a common feature of Radiohead shows and unless you can get closer enough to the stage the outcome would likely always be the same. As such perfectionists with their music it is odd that this chance to connect better with the audience is missed.

However my post Glastonbury listening has been dominated by reproducing the setlist on Spotify and ipod, so perhaps they are in fact right with their choice of visuals!

I agree completely.

Friends and I weren't close enough to see the stage/performance.

We were immediately left with a feeling that musically it was perfection but lacked a feel for charisma of the band due to the way they used the screens. It did however make for great viewing when at home.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

There's an image of my desktop in my post above? I have no idea how it got there and I can't remove it.

I've deleted the post - cos I couldn't work out how to remove it either. I'll now make a point of finding out how so i know for next time.

But I can tell you it got there because you dragged & dropped into that post, even if you don't think you did.

The vid you wanted to post about was this one, below...

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I'll now make a point of finding out how so i know for next time.

An image within a post can be deleted by editing the post and then using backspace to delete the image. There's also a trashcan on the uploaded image part below the edit box.

That's the official word, and i've just tried it and it works just like that.

But i'm pretty sure I wasn't being that blind and stupid earlier, and for some reason backspace didn't work and there was no trash can. I can only put it down to a temporary glitch.

Sorry to @madyaker for any inconvenience.

Edited by eFestivals